Online tells

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, I do think it can tell you something about their poker style.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a funny case when the screen name completely coincided. However, the opponent had a 33% chance of winning. This means that he will do such things and win in one case out of three. Thus, his nickname displays the game and has the opportunity to subject other players to tilt.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is a funny case when the screen name completely coincided. However, the opponent had a 33% chance of winning. This means that he will do such things and win in one case out of three. Thus, his nickname displays the game and has the opportunity to subject other players to tilt.

Yeah I agree. My HUD was showing stats somewhere between LAG and maniac like VPIP 37 / PFR 33 or something like that. So definitely a bit of a "playmachine" but not a crazy fish in any way. And like you say, maybe he choose the screenname to tilt his opponents. As for the hand its not crazy to call a 3-bet with KQs, and when he flop a flushdraw with two overs, and the SPR is just a little over one, he is kind of committed to the pot. So I can even see some merit to the donk bet here. Ace high is a big part of my range, and if I had that, I would have needed to fold with the fishy limper still in the pot behind me. So he definitely gets some fold equity by playing like this, and its just a little funny, that someone with that name actually made a donkbet in a big 3-bet pot :)

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly, it is the first time I hear about the screenname having something to do with the player gameplay.

Greydan posted a good article (in my opinion) that reminds us about real tells in my opinion. Screen names usually do no make it a good read to try to outplay your apponents.

But, timing tells and bet size tells are things that really help me make good decisions most of the time.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
personally it sounds dangerous, because what you assume, could also be used against you. also if you think a username says everything about a person's play style and that's it, kinda risky. people change over the years, play style, it changes hand to hand depending on so many things. i just play the cards

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Sometimes, yes, there is a player name "pescaofish", he himself is telling us in two languages he is a fish or "pescao" in Spanish.
on the other hand "belladona" must be a beutiful lady. other names dont tell us much. :angel:

P

ParadiseFisher_

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in 2021 players are likely to also bluff you with the name and/or their picture. So a poker friend of mine is using a picture, which makes him look like "gambler" even if he is doctor in physics :D

C

ChuckNola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you think, the screenname chosen by an online opponent can sometimes be a tell?

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

Yes I had an instance just yesterday where I bet pre flop and got called by a guy with a screen name that said “Checkraise” or something like that. So when it was time for me to C-Bet on the flop I chose to check instead. I hit a pair on the turn and won the hand. The guy had a hand that was in the check raise category too.

K

Kalymnos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

Just for your information one-liners like this will not count towards the 100 "quality posts" required to gain access to the platinum freerolls
Not interested in free rolls in the slightest but can't message someone unless you have 11 posts or something

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wouldnt count on it.

Do you think, the screenname chosen by an online opponent can sometimes be a tell?

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

Some people put thought into it and so i guess in a sense maybe you can start with the name. But you should always pay attention to how each player plays their hand when your not in the hand or in it with them. You get the tells over time by their betting patterns and also threw their words they convey. But i guess you could start with the name but never get married to a perception cause players can evolve

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, it can be a determinate to gauging a players' ability, imo. Creative names seem to be kinda questionable or harder to put on a hand while names that are more straight forward tend to act/play more predictable. When a name like "fishbanger2021" 3-bets I tend to believe them more than a name like "arkumID$TUN69", which seems harder to pin down.
NOTE: The two screen-names used in the example are completely generated from me into this thread. Any similarities or likenesses are coincidental. Thank you.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It won't be important at first, because it's very difficult to memorize so many player names when playing online.

But I believe that the choice of name may have something related to the way that person plays, it may even change over time the way of playing, but at some point, that was the choice and image that he decided to pass on.

GL
;)

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Username

In many ways i do rely on the pseudoname or the profile picture of my adversaries to have an idea about their personality aka their way of playing... So it does actually matters

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. A clever name was chosen by a clever person and an idiot chooses an idiotic name.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The screen name sometimes gives me an indication of the player's age...nothing else. My screen name at most sites is DobbyBoy and the screenshot is a pic of my son 16 years ago, photoshopped to look like Dobby the elf in the Harry Potter books and movies...doesn't give anyone clues as to how bad a player I am !

To avoid tells online, I wear a scarf to cover my Adam's Apple, mirrored sunglasses to hide the dilation of my pupils and a hoody to cover my ears if they turn red when I bluff.......LOL !!!

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
False opinion. The name says nothing. It can even deceive.

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think online tells are when they call real fast means they are just calling and sometimes i think whenthey double the bet means a bluff

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've noticed that people with the word "maniac" in their name usually are loose maniacs... Lol. It seems some names are meant to deceive however. Such as someone who's name has "donkey" in it. A lot of times these are tight-aggressive players who want people to call their raises based on their name. BTW my name is "Enimen" so try to find a tell in that haha.

Poker Tells