Online Tells

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
online poker, and live poker are two different breeds, each with their own way of trying to outdo your opponent.

One thing that is definitely different are poker tells.

Are you brave enough to give away some of your "online tells", that you look for, in order to defeat your foe?

Here's one of mine:

Watching for players that use quick play buttons. They usually are new to the game, and when they don't have a very good hand, click on the advance play, buttons to speed up play.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As you wrote: "Watching for players that use quick play buttons. They usually are new to the game, and when they don't have a very good hand, click on the advance play, buttons to speed up play."

This is true, but experienced players also use those tools, just to vary their games, for deceiving.
The main online tells are based on the players bet patterns.

G

greenman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have one that works 94% of the time. I picked it up filtering on tracker. Even started using for live play. Get a tracker there great .

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the main tellses in online are chaotic sizing and timing, powerful hands of beginners
push actions after moving, it is clear that the player is freaking out
I think so on some tells

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the main tellses in online are chaotic sizing and timing, powerful hands of beginners
push actions after moving, it is clear that the player is freaking out
I think so on some tells
You're damm right.
And blend it all together we've got the tellsss!:icon_comp

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My favorite:

Quick calls are usually draws or low-mid strength hands.

If someone has a very strong hand, they'll pause because they want to make it look like they might fold. And another reason is because they'll at least consider raising.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My favorite:

Quick calls are usually draws or low-mid strength hands.

I thought about it as well, and as you are a poker expert, I'm gonna keep it in my mind from now one. Thank you.:shakehand

G

greenman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't that funny . Just noticed I didnt I didn't even give the tell. I guess never trying to give real tells is a habit. Its funny that when I'm strong I purposely auto call to those with lower vpip. My bluffs are slow on purpose. Message me and I'll spill.Open forum might atler Free roll pionts. :icon_joke

laifstaile

laifstaile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will but here some advice...not mine...

BY Dara O Kearney

Bet sizing tells

These are the most common and important ones. Good online players will be balanced having a mix of different hand strengths in all their bet sizes, but weaker players often tend to use small bets for one type of hand (monsters or bluffs) and large bets for another.

For example, some players use the small size almost exclusively with weaker hands (hoping to bluff cheaply or get cheap showdown with a marginal hand) and a larger size with their strongest hands (hoping to win more when called). Some people do the opposite, betting big as a bluff (to force more folds) and small with value (to get called more often). The problem with both these strategies is that once your opponents figure out the pattern, your bluffs won't get through any more and your value bets won't get called. Be the player picking up on these sizing tells, not the one exhibiting them.

How fast are they betting?

Fast river bet

This is almost always a polarized range. When a player has a marginal hand and in particular when the river card changes the strength of a lot of hands, players tend to have to take at least a few seconds to decide whether to check or bet, and what size to use. By contrast, a player with the stone cold nuts or a stone cold bluff doesn't need to think as long. On river cards that significantly change the board such as cards that bring in straights, flushes or pair the board, fast river bets are even more likely to be bluffs, as monsters usually have to spend a little time considering what size to now use.

Fast turn bets in orphan pots

An orphan pot is a multiway pot in which nobody shows much interest on the flop or turn. These are obviously good pots to attack, but be careful not to bet the turn too quickly when the flop checks through. A quick turn bet after the flop checks through is much more likely to be a bluff from a player hoping to pick up an orphan pot than a value bet (it usually takes at least a few seconds to consider whether betting or checking is best, and what size to use).

Fast opens preflop

Usually non marginal hands weighted towards big Ax and pairs. Most players know they are going to open strong hands and pairs, but have to think whether to open weaker hands.

Fast raises postflop

Usually a strong made hand the player knows without thinking is a raise. Draws usually need some time to think about raising or calling, and weaker made hands to think about bluff raising or folding.

Fast calls postflop

Usually a draw. Made hands have to at least consider raising or folding, but many players just call with all draws so as soon as they see they have a draw they click Call.

Instacheck

Almost always weak, indicating the player has given up on the hand.

Slow check

As a general rule, fast actions are much more significant and likely to be a tell than slow bets (which may simply be the result of a slow connection, or the player playing too many tables). That said, a lot of weaker players have a tendency to check slowly with a weak marginal hand that they don't want to give up on but don't want to face a big bet with. This is essentially an act strong when weak tell similar to that you often see live: a player checks slowly hoping to make it appear they were considering betting, to dissuade their opponent from doing so. Slow calls fall into the same category (hoping to discourage further betting).

Slow check quick check raise

This is an important exception to the previous tell. In this case the quick check raise is more significant than the slow check. indicating a monster.

Slow bets or raises

These are essentially the opposite of 8 above: a monster where the player is trying to act weak by acting slowly as if unsure what to do. A long tank into the timebank followed by an all-in is almost never a bluff.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s about the one of the few tendencies we have to watch at a table. If a person takes their time when making moves you know they are likely putting some thought into it.

Z

Stay Safe

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not very good players? I don't know, maybe. In most cases, everything is decided by random. These not very good players are often lucky and any observations are useless.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
BY Dara O Kearney

Bet sizing tells

As a general rule, fast actions are much more significant and likely to be a tell than slow bets (which may simply be the result of a slow connection, or the player playing too many tables).
That is an excellent point with online games.

Kenad_MNE

Kenad_MNE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best online tell is sizng. for example when they bet strong pre flop, then small on flop, usually means they missed it but still C betting hoing you wouldnt reraise. even if I miss it, usualy my reraise works here a lot

Takoyaki

Takoyaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chatting online is a tell. When the villain say something before betting in chat it's a tell of power! For example: "GL" and shove!

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no such thing as online tells:confused: or is there lol

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to run the time bank down and then fold.

Poker Tells