Online pros?????

G

Gonzo864

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me start by saying I have fun playing poker. On the weekends or if I'm off during the week I am playing. Sometimes 12to 14 hours. I can normally always show a profit playing cash but after a few hours I just get board with into matter the money. I love playing tourneys and do well there alot of times but still will always have a red ROI. My question is I always hear of these online tourney pros but I wonder how can you be a pro when the best in the world to ever play the game only has 10 or so wins in there carrier? There is alot of variance with tourneys and let's face it alot of the game is luck no matter your starting hand. I have always wondered because I was watching some videos from a site that had a fourm and poker coaching if you actually wanted to pay for it. We looked up these so called pros stats up and what did we find? Hell there ROI was the same as everyone else. The only difference was they would play some larger buying around the $1000 mark

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ROI is not everything. With the increase in buy-in also comes greater competition. Think of it like this. Achieving a 10% ROI playing against your friends that barely play poker is a lot easier than achieving the same ROI against the best players in the world. Playing at the highest stakes that is the environment you're dealing with. I think it goes without saying that earnings directly relate to ROI and volume so these people are able to grind out a small fortune by playing very very good poker, but also playing a ton.

In large MTTs, variance indeed plays a huge role. You're not going to play enough live main events or high rollers in your life to eliminate it. If you're grinding out online high stakes MTTs though then you're certainly able to approach your true winrate.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ROI means Return On Investment, so if you "invest" a lot aka buy in for a lot of money, then even a low positive ROI can mean significant profit. For instance a 10% ROI of a monthly turnover of 50.000$ = 5.000$ in profit. Its not easy to make a living from online poker though, and a lot of the people doing it are from countries with a relatively low cost of living like Russia or brasil.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My question is I always hear of these online tourney pros but I wonder how can you be a pro when the best in the world to ever play the game only has 10 or so wins in there carrier?

One doesn't need to place in 1st to be winning money overall.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info. from but it is way off. Some pros used to get 3x 1st in large field tourneys, on 3 different sites (Triple Crown).

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi all , in my limited journey in poker so far, I'd agree with above poster who said that ROI isn't everything , these stats are easy to change in either direction,
buying into the smallest game $1 buyin, winning a few of these , maybe a few freerolls , will definitely favour a lob-sided ROI that doesn't indicate a skill advantage, indeed someone could simply only play freerolls in a maniac way and win a few of these + itm in others and show a huge ROI since they invested $0 .
conversely it's possible that someone may deposit large amounts , buyin to large entry mtt etc and only get itm 10% of the time, this will bring the ROI right down, yet again not indicate the skill level ,
what does indicate skill are consistent results over a given period, or a given number of games , anything that shows itm above 30% I'd say shows significant skills , my 5c , hope it helps or causes the right questions to be considered :)

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
the best in the world plays a lot also maybe what you see is a small fraction because they play in a lots of sites

if you can see small sample you are not looking at the best in the world

Addamo and Bonomo are the just examples of the poker greats

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can be far from the best poker player, but at the same time be in the black, you don't have to win at all limits to make money, if you have a lot of money, you can start with high limits, lose a decent amount on mistakes, but over time, improving and learning, you will come out in the black. At high limits, even a couple of blinds per hour is good money, just starting from the very bottom you pay less money for conditional training, because your mistakes will not be so expensive. There are no universal ways to make money in poker, experience and distance play a huge role here, because you can adapt to any players and any conditions of the game.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ROI means Return On Investment, so if you "invest" a lot aka buy in for a lot of money, then even a low positive ROI can mean significant profit. For instance a 10% ROI of a monthly turnover of 50.000$ = 5.000$ in profit. Its not easy to make a living from online poker though, and a lot of the people doing it are from countries with a relatively low cost of living like Russia or Brasil.

Never crossed my mind that fact involving low cost of living and being a pro poker player.

That makes complete sense, the only problem is that both Russia and brazil currencies are very undervalued in relation to the Dollar/Euro. I think that might even things a little when comparing to Euro/US players.

In relation to the topic question, there's also the "Poker Teams" that share their profits in order to level down the variance amongst them. That makes it "easier" to go through a downswing.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, that's right.
Recently I saw a video of a cash player talking about how you can consistently win tournaments, he says that he doesn't really understand how you can win tournaments, these people who win tournaments need to put a monument.
How does the transition of a tournament beginner to professionals happen, and everything is simple, you only need to win once in any major tournament, and speaking of luck, to win in this tournament you need to win in a huge amount of coins, and this needs a lot of luck.