Online poker is not beatable!?

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I have recently stumbled upon a post on FB from Vanessa Selbst. It is about her quitting poker and leaving pokerstars team. Among other reasons, one really caught my attention:

For me, online poker was never for money making but more of a source of fun, but still it didn't seem unbeatable. As a live player, I don't quite understand what she meant..
So, I am interested in your thoughts on this? Also, how do you feel playing online poker as oppose to playing live?

its definitely beatable , just not for your average poker player , needs a lot of time investement and effort into making online poker profitable . but its certainly been done and is getting done !

Kenad_MNE

Kenad_MNE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is beatable, but you need to be consistent with your game selection... a lot of times I waste money on zoom, spin and gos, now this grand tour, while if I only focused on tournaments or cash games for sure I wouldnt waste that much money like on these donkaments

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not sure exactly what she means here (I haven’t read the article). But I believe with study and volume online poker is definitely beatable. Can you just jump onto a site and immediately start crushing, no. But with time it can be beat.

E

emisalvo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope it never ends because it's the only way I play

psihoz35

psihoz35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I think that online poker is in some way better, playing online you can have a cup of tea, coffee, a snack, etc. at any time, there is no outside noise, you are on your own territory and therefore online is better for me! IMHO

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sure that I am not the only person that has noticed how often streamers seem to run real well on poker sites, wish I had 10% of their success for real. I seem to lose on river 90% of any hand I push against a 2-3 outter. Online poker is shady in my opinion.

magnetoak47

magnetoak47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should manage your bankroll wisely and start playing some freerolls so you can become better without risking your bankroll. If you can win some money by playing free is definitively beatable. At least in the beggining :)

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online is beatable but not easy

So, I have recently stumbled upon a post on FB from Vanessa Selbst. It is about her quitting poker and leaving pokerstars team. Among other reasons, one really caught my attention:

For me, online poker was never for money making but more of a source of fun, but still it didn't seem unbeatable. As a live player, I don't quite understand what she meant..
So, I am interested in your thoughts on this? Also, how do you feel playing online poker as oppose to playing live?

lol Selbst is not a great poker player shes decent with a few wins. Some ppl dont have the shark mentality to Take other ppls money. If you feel like your hustling ppl at the table and thats wrong then you definatly shouldnt play poker. I say your an adult no one is forcing you to play then when you lose your rent its not my fault.

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker is beatable. It's just not easy but with hard work ethic and good mindset it can be done.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At times I have thought the same thing. Getting sucked out on with a big hand. It happens!! Online more than ever before. There are soo many new players who have so many different philosophies about how to play poker. You have to get into the stakes where people really care about that money. The poker play definitely improves the higher stakes that you play. That’s been my experience at least.

Z

Stay Safe

B

Bmilla135

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not an easy feat, lots of bad beats

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No its not cause you are going lose and sometimes you win that's just how it goes. Pokers 50 percent luck that how I feel. I know that's not the stats. But it's common sense. If you been playing for a long time you know what lm talking about.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's beatable with a nonconventional playing style.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe online poker is beatable but we still need to remember that most players will not. There are many reasons for this. Players are so much better than they used to be. Also many players wort put in the work to become better players to win the money. Then there is the issue of players who over value how good they are and say they can win. You also have players who will play above there real skill level. They wont be happy wining $2.00 per hour playing 0.05/ 0.10 because it not enough to make it worth there while and then get crushed playing 1/2.

We also need to remember this game is not that easy. If it was everyone would play and try to be the winner.

I think a lot of people feel online poker is "unbeatable" because of bad bank roll management. For instance, even if you are an overall winner at 2nl there's still a risk of going broke if you're playing off of $10 bankroll. In general it's playing stakes you can win with a bankroll that covers the negative variance.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, for most people, online poker is actually unbeatable. But that's not because the poker software is rigged. The poker software makes enough revenue from the rake. The software does not have to artificially raise the pots. No, there are simpler reasons and that is called variance. Let's do the math all through. The winnings in online poker are not as high as in live poker, as many of the advantages of a good player are lost, such as the psychological component and the opponents are worse. That is why a good player can win 5 big blinds for 100 hands in online poker. That's a very good value. However, a player will not always win exactly 5 big blinds for 100 hands. Because poker is also dependent on luck. That means every player has fluctuations in his winnings. This is called variance. And a low profit margin has a damaging effect on variance. The standard deviation in poker is 100 big blinds for 100 hands. This means that even a good player can lose 95 big blinds to 100 hands. If you put these values ​​in the simulator, the results are terrifying. In around 35 percent of his playing time, this player is stuck in a downswing of 2000 big blinds! With a session of 10,000 hands there is a probability of 60% in the minus! It is therefore not enough to play 2 hours at 2 tables every day. You have to play a lot of hands to compensate for the variance. You have to play 20 tables for 8 hours a day (and against bad players) to beat the variance. it's impossible for people with a normal job. In addition, the win rate can also come under 5 big blinds. For example, when you have phases in which you play worse. Because of this, it is impossible for ordinary people to make a profit from online poker. Variance is a bitch.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good thing anyone with any amount of money can call himself a player.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I've made a few thousand playing online and in that respect it is beatable. My other passion horse racing I've lost money.
If you have a bit of fun and bankroll manage you can stay ahead.
However most who make a serious attempt to win money will fail and sometime lose plenty trying.
What Zirkzee is saying above is dead correct!

Last edited:
danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. There are many episodes that I am certain others have experienced where I am not only playing against others, but also the software. I watch for folks betting against me that have more blinds, especially a huge amount. I have seen where the person with less of a hand wins if they had more blinds.Not always, though. It seems that those type events occur at the beginning and the end of a tournament. I also may be crazy thinking such.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hello. There are many episodes that I am certain others have experienced where I am not only playing against others, but also the software. I watch for folks betting against me that have more blinds, especially a huge amount. I have seen where the person with less of a hand wins if they had more blinds.Not always, though. It seems that those type events occur at the beginning and the end of a tournament. I also may be crazy thinking such.
Not crazy. I see it in almost every tournament that I play. It is becoming worse by the week.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can tell you from my own experience of playing poker for 16 years I still cannot build a bankroll. Poker has evolved and its really difficult to beat your opponents these days when you have to make a hand since they will call any bluff.

W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low mtt is easy beatables with great roi. It is not even neccesary to work on it. For me at least. Just stay away from cheating uknown rooms and everytihng is gonna be ok.