Online Poker Etiquette

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When talking about online we need to focus on chat people insult a lot strange players and sometimes for absolutely no reason and also talking about the hands during the action affects a lot the game , it happened to me couple of times and it made me feel so angry some players are just disrespecting everyone .. and I wish if poker rooms add sections on the support topics in order to report these behaviors .

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind the abusive chat or the berating of players because it usually reveals some useful information about the player doing it. It's nice to know which players think you should only play premium hands, for instance. I usually see a lot abusive behavior on American-allowed sites then, on my usual hangout, pokerstars, it could be a language issue. One of the things that grind my gears though, is a player that reveals the cards they folded in the middle of a live hand. I don't want my opponent knowing that you folded one of his outs when I'm trying to build a pot.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty interestinf and useful article and thread.For some people these tips are really useful but the main point is general culture of a certain player/human!When I play CC games and see some rude words or abuses I always write in a chat and warn that I can make a screenshot and sent to moder of CC and give BAN.And as usually it is working and bullies become calm and silent)))

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very topical issue. I like the СС because there are practically no such cases, few times I have observed this. I think these rules are relevant not only for poker. You always need to remain a man. And people do not like when they get to them with advice. So do not bother with your advice if you are not asked.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't usually type anything when I play primarily because I am so slow...2 fingers. I do get a laugh out of players who try to pull a "Will Kassouf" online. They actually give away more than they get in terms of tells.

P

Playah39

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stalling

I have no problem with players stalling occasionally. I have a real problem with the player who runs the clock out from his/her first hand until being knocked out.

I'll bet most players know if they are going to fold those two crappy down cards right away. What's the point of running out the clock? You're just making your opponents angry and making a target of yourself.

And I don't understand "short stack" players running out the clock. When I'm short stacked, I want fresh down cards -- I want to see flops. I don't want the play of others to decide whether I'm in the money, or not.

I win or lose based on my play and luck of the draw and have nothing but disdain for the morons who are professional stallers.

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no problem with players stalling occasionally. I have a real problem with the player who runs the clock out from his/her first hand until being knocked out.

I'll bet most players know if they are going to fold those two crappy down cards right away. What's the point of running out the clock? You're just making your opponents angry and making a target of yourself.

That is their point. It makes people angry. I have seen a few of them, but far between.

And I don't understand "short stack" players running out the clock. When I'm short stacked, I want fresh down cards -- I want to see flops. I don't want the play of others to decide whether I'm in the money, or not.

I understand short stacks stalling when they are getting close to the bubble. I have no problem with that. But when you get into hand-for-hand play, then it gets irritating because stalling has no effect.

T

TheFaissal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like when people insult me or other players for calling a reasonable price like 5-6 BB espacially in bounty tournaments with any two cards, and they start calling names if I win, but what i generally do is sending a smiley face and blocking their chat

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd rather leave the chat offline. Many players lie about their hand and influence unfair to the players still involved in the hand. Fair play is rare in online poker.

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tip #4 drives me insane! I don't see it often, but occasionally I do see this.

Say for example Player 1 with K7o folds, Player 2 has JQ, and Player 3 has AA
Flop comes KKQ
Player 2 jams on the flop
Player 3 is thinking of folding because he knows there are a lot of K's in player 2's range.
Player 1 comments "Crap, I should of stayed in the hand I would have trips"
From player 3's perspective, the chances of Player 2 having a K are now cut in half and the value for calling is doubled. He now calls instead and knocks out player 2.

I have seen this happen, and the person talking about their hand are often ignorant of how it may affect other players.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People need to realize bad players will not understand the logic you are explaining to them anyways when you get angry in the chat. This is why they are bad because they either do not get it or do not care. I turn the chat off all together.

K

kingarthurrov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I meet bad chat everyday. I feel who don’t respect people, not man still a boy.I think will close chat.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me there is one etiquette in online poker, not to offend other players in chat.
Of course, this is not always the case :D But I try not to answer an insult to the player who offends me

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me there is one etiquette in online poker, not to offend other players in chat.
Of course, this is not always the case :D But I try not to answer an insult to the player who offends me
Your avatar begs to differ :p