Online Poker Etiquette

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never understood: being abusive in the chat. Will it help you to win? Or not to lose previous hand? For me it's just bad manners. If not more.. I had tourneys with 80%, even 100% bad beats and never had desire to say something bad.

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate players who berate others. I don't understand why they would do it from a poker and $ perspective. I just shrug it off and assume they must have had a terrible day to be a terrible person.

Just_shrug

Just_shrug

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I've noticed lately is observers - not even playing - trying to throw you on tilt within the first 3 hands. They'll throw out a question like "hey aok where your from?".. When I answer they respond with "well that's stupid you dumb Canadian". The language is usually a lot more strong than that, but you get my point.

I usually laugh heartily. Because I know they're just trying to razz me for a friend at the table.

As for everything else.. "you dumb donkey" etc.. I just realize that they're on tilt, and don't understand why some plays are made. Don't know positive Ev, stack sizes, ICM, etc. So I never take that to heart.

Practice good mental poker and these "etiquette" issues aren't issues at all.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know sometimes in a freeroll you just don't want to finish playing because you have to go or whatever. I think it is best to just sit out and chat that you are sitting out for the rest of the game because you can't stay, rather than go all-in every hand until you lose all your chips.

Arkady Rodak

Arkady Rodak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like offensive people and those who breaking the rule talking any languages but English

Just_shrug

Just_shrug

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know sometimes in a freeroll you just don't want to finish playing because you have to go or whatever. I think it is best to just sit out and chat that you are sitting out for the rest of the game because you can't stay, rather than go all-in every hand until you lose all your chips.
This one is a good point. As it stands in more than just freerolls.

I find in the lower limits MTT SNGs they'll rack up a large stack (by going all in with any face card) then sit out until the tourney is done. Usually making the min payout. Totally messes with the ICM.

But, in retrospect, it's nice to have one of these to the left of you so you can constantly steal their blinds.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm guilty of pet peeve #1. I berated players including myself for a bad play of hands. It is always when I am laughing...because it is very funny. Nothing mean spirit but bad players are hilarious not so much when I am on the losing end.
I think I witnessed an exchange between you and someone else in the past. I was moved to the table and I didn't know who started it...but that was a long time ago.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As much as Poker Etiquette is the desired Quality when playing the game, none of us can or should expect to achieve this while playing online, it simply is unrealistic.
None of us has to go very far to witness crass and vulgar languages on any chat forum, so why do we expect any different when playing a game online………. Simply Unrealistic expecting every single human being to behave civilly while on line. [IMHO]

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I've noticed lately is observers - not even playing - trying to throw you on tilt within the first 3 hands. They'll throw out a question like "hey aok where your from?".. When I answer they respond with "well that's stupid you dumb Canadian". The language is usually a lot more strong than that, but you get my point.

I usually laugh heartily. Because I know they're just trying to razz me for a friend at the table.

As for everything else.. "you dumb donkey" etc.. I just realize that they're on tilt, and don't understand why some plays are made. Don't know positive Ev, stack sizes, ICM, etc. So I never take that to heart.

Practice good mental poker and these "etiquette" issues aren't issues at all.
Are you not aware that you have the Option to Block Out Observer Chat on most poker sites?
There should absolutely be no reason why you would want to have that option activated to distract you in your game.

J

Jimboskie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players who call my red aces with 47 offsuit and beat me. How rude!!! lol

Just_shrug

Just_shrug

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you not aware that you have the Option to Block Out Observer Chat on most poker sites?
There should absolutely be no reason why you would want to have that option activated to distract you in your game.
Totally aware. But I don't. Because my lack of tilt reverberates to tilt on their own end.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very intetesting! Facts we face every time we play. Behavior is very important for the game and generally nice behaviors and fair play are positive to the image of poker. Every player must have principles, exemplary behavior and fair play! I think it is a sample of culture!

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the problems of etiquette in online poker is also well known to this forum. This is that not all players know English well, for full communication at the table. This is all the more relevant in the poker room, because the poker client does not support any online translators who could help.

Hence, there are numerous attempts of players to communicate in different languages ​​(especially if there are two or more players from the same country or countries speaking the same language at the table). I must admit that often this is the sin of players from Russia, Ukraine and other countries formerly USSR. ;)

I try to reduce this communication to a minimum, limiting myself to clear phrases and abbreviations. Usually this is enough. After all, there is a game, often at several tables at once and the player does not have much time to actively communicate in the chat. :D

carli

carli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use the chat to show respect.I do not like when someone deliberately disconnects.It's a disrespect for me.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I witnessed an exchange between you and someone else in the past. I was moved to the table and I didn't know who started it...but that was a long time ago.

It happens frequently. I just can't help to not laugh at some poker players. Though when I make a bad play I'm all silence.:cool:

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People deff say stuff online they would never say live......the player that takes for ever on every decision ...I get when it's an actual decision but come on pre flop a fold is a fold

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally aware. But I don't. Because my lack of tilt reverberates to tilt on their own end.
Not quite sure you Actually understand who observers are online?

FYI, observers are either recently busted out players in the tournament or individuals who just want to watch a tournament from the side lines.

So when you state that your lack of tilt reverberates to tilt them at their end…………

AGAIN !!! Why do you CARE? They are not involved in the tournament that you are playing in ??????and to focus on by-standers while you are trying to focus on winning is extremely foolish and probably reckless,

but, if that rocks your boat....... who am I to judge .......... lol

Just_shrug

Just_shrug

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not quite sure you Actually understand who observers are online?

FYI, observers are either recently busted out players in the tournament or individuals who just want to watch a tournament from the side lines.

So when you state that your lack of tilt reverberates to tilt them at their end…………

AGAIN !!! Why do you CARE? They are not involved in the tournament that you are playing in ??????

Not quite sure YOU understand what I was saying. Of course I know who observers are. And clearly I said that I find it funny. So I DON'T actually care.

The people I was referring to trying to put me on tilt were the people still at the table running their mouths. Or the POTENTIAL of those sideline observers you talked about being a friend of someone at the table.

AGAIN!! I don't care.. I find it funny. So go spew your condescending angst elsewhere.

vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seldom break on my opponents! in the first place, it will not change anything, and secondly it will disrupt me! I just close the chat when I'm playing! and open the window with the information!

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does players who enter multiple tournaments and just sit out of one table with no intensional playing bother any one besides me

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I already wrote about this, I hate games that lose the line playing and trying to deconcentrate the opponent with swearing and cursing, I think even some should be banned from online poker.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is important to respect other players when we play .. many players are upset when they lose with a stronger hand and they start to insult the opponent .. I do not think I should resort to such provocations and we need continue with our game and do not pay attention to such provocations..

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never care about all of that and i almost never chat on a poker table

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I hate noisy tables and players that boast alot about stuff not only Poker related. Also do not like angle shooters and players who ridcule other players just because they make a bad play or got lucky. PLayers should be able to play their game in one piece.

Online I see this has happen ever so often where a player will say what they had in the hand when the hand is not completed. This has happened to me twice on CC games and numerous times on other games online. Whether or not they are telling the truth about their cards players need to hold off about saying what they are until the hand is over.

One last thing online players need to use the sit out button if they know that they may not be back in time after break. It annoys me when after a break they keep back the game. Although I know things just come up sometimes or players simply forget. I too have been guilty of this from time to time, it do happen.