Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
strategy

be a professional player or play a tournament in Las Vegas and Win Billions;:jd4::deal:

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when I have first learned to play poker there were no iPhones and the times were different. I was 15 at a time and my base knowledge was from a phone app I don't even remember the name it was an old .jar kinda app for them buttony phones [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. And I have always had this question do you really need skill or is it pretty much just a matter of luck.

Or how would you differentiate strategies for different types of games as an example for cash games with no limit, or in tournaments.

I never met anyone who made money just by counting on luck, but I know several who lost with low skill, including me hehehe.

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course you need skill and a bit of luck

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some very smart people, who like to write essays, about what is statistically possible, and what is statistically not possible in regards to Poker.

They will come to the conclusion that anyone who is getting above 5BB per 100, is just getting "lucky" (more or less).

However, what they don't understand, is that some people are capable, of making plays and reads, with enough of an accuracy, to make their math irrelevant.

It's very hard for them to understand, that other people have this skill, and they do not.

In reality though, if I have a set of queens, a flush hits, my opponent pots into me, and I make a soul read with 90% accuracy, and call correctly...

I start out performing the computer, and out performing the math, by a very large margin.

This is why crushers, are crushers. They will out perform the computer, and what they do, has a lot of skill in it. If it didn't, everyone would be crushers.

This also makes super nerds heads explode :).

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is money, skill is capital. :D we need them all.

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when I have first learned to play poker there were no iPhones and the times were different. I was 15 at a time and my base knowledge was from a phone app I don't even remember the name it was an old .jar kinda app for them buttony phones [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. And I have always had this question do you really need skill or is it pretty much just a matter of luck.

Or how would you differentiate strategies for different types of games as an example for cash games with no limit, or in tournaments.

Skills are needed both for tournaments and for CASH. It is better to choose one thing and be an expert in one area , so you will quickly learn to play more skillfully:deal:

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, luck and skill go hand in hand. As for pre-flop, you need a lot of luck, but also pre-flop, you need skill to play the cards in your hand. Every turn of the cards has to do with luck, then your skills takes over. For example, you have a good pair in the hole pre-flop. Do you want action? Your bet size will depend partly on that. Post-flop your hand gets better, and you want to keep players in the hand. Skill, and luck just can't help with that. Luck can't help you with a bluff either. It just goes on and on. You just can't win without skill. GL you all

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
skills, patience, endurance and many other things, desire to continue learning, discipline, and so I can spend it writing and I will not finish:D:p:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

ferocious

ferocious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the long run the skill player will win the most money,but in the short run the luckiest will win the most

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To win takes Skill, Gamble and Luck!

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
you don't need to play .more if you want to have a better result the more knowledge and using the skills will favor you!

WickedFRoST

WickedFRoST

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That totally depends on your expectations from playing poker.

If you want to mainly have fun with the game, and win some money occasionally, then you don't need much skill. Eventually, you'll get lucky and win something, or not:). But you will have fun anyways. So all you need is just minimum bankroll management and knowledge of some poker basics.

However, if you want to make a living out of poker, then learning, and improving your game should become your daily routine. You should treat it as a real job, and like any job, poker requires years of studying and training.

I don't even think that 'skill' is the correct word to use here. Its not about skill, its about knowledge and experience what makes you a winning player in the long run.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will not make any money without the skill luck just goes so far..:):):)

P

Phalanxxx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you need skills and discipline to play poker online.
Except in freeroll tournaments where a lot of new players try to get experience and where
they don´t invest their own money.
As a result most of the people play wild because it doesn´t hurt that way if they lose.

blackclover

blackclover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you need the skill when to fold or bluff.

Freewka6101129

Freewka6101129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in any business or in any game you need a skill

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Nope..no skill required. Even my dogs help me play.:D

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Nope..no skill required. Even my dogs help me play.:D
b61562e250ac3a2a2a8277474afe261b.png

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

The best way to find out.... deposit some money and give it a go!

If you follow poker at all, you'll see there are a fairly large number of familiar names you'll see doing well in the bigger stakes online tournaments. Do you figure this is just because they are luckier? Would that mean the ones who have been spending 1,000's of hours studying and working on their games (and these days, lots of study time with GTO and with solvers) are just wasting their time? And the ones who are putting in loads of time are just coincidentally getting luckier in the long run?

10yrs. ago online poker was easily beatable with a bit of studying (read a dozen books, watch some training vids and put in some volume). These days the best players from 2010 wouldn't even be profitable (unless of course they've continued to work on their game).
It's a TOUGH go today in online poker. Even the micros are tough for someone new to the game and who hasn't studied a bit (micro cash I'm referring to... ie. 10nl).

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have heard the aphorism for a long time: "One day in poker is 10% skill and 90% luck, and one year in poker is 90% skill and 10% luck."
I agree with him 1000%.