YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys

So, I'm actually ashamed for sharing this but I'm sharing cause I realized it's not nice and decided to stop.

I tend to pressure other players with texts at the online table. And sometimes I did curse them and all. I thought that by doing that I would put them under psychological pressure and maybe force them to loose focus or even tilt. Kinda trying to express and aggressive image not only by my play style but thru texting intimidation.

The thing is that today I realized that this can actually backfire and make me loose my temper and take bad decisions.

Not only that, I started to reflect on how I see other players that do it. Taking Phil Hellmuth as example. He is or maybe used to be a jackass at the table. I've seen him cursing people an all and ended looking bad for everyone. And in the end passed an image of an unstable player instead of a intimidating player. And there are some other examples. I've seen Devil Fish and others disrespecting other players also.

So today this guy said that my stack was too fat and he was going to take some of it. I was already texting donk and fish emojis whenever I won a pot so he just jumped in the bully texting against me.

So I was texting some harsh stuff and ended getting into a bad situation cause I wasn't focused on the game but mostly into messing with the guy. In the end he shoved and followed to end up loosing half my stack to him.

So I'm not doing this anymore for more then one reason. First cause I want to be focused and second cause I don't the jackass image associated to me.

Another lesson reinforced for life from poker. Respect everyone. Maybe even more the ones that don't, cause you will have a good image of yourself and also be good with yourself.

How about you, be honest, do you do that? Or have you ever done it?

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No.

Glad you might be changing your mind. Im sure you dont need this kind of action to be a winner.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never. Actually just turn chat off. You dont need it. A little bit of class goes a long way these days. At least you are having the thought for change.:idea:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its great, that you have realised this and changed your table attitude. I also like your point about respecting everyone. If I am honest I am also sometimes in a tilted mindset when playing, where I think of other players as "idiots" without actually expressing this in the chat. And it does not help me play better, so the more we can rid ourselfes of this way of thinking, the better :)

For other people reading this, it is also worth noting, that on most sites chat abuse can actually get you banned, and just how stupid would that be? As serious online players we obviusly need to protect our accounts and future ability to play on those sites, that are available. A really good rule for any online activity is to never say something to a person online, you would not also say face to face ;)

D

DarkSodaSith

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It took real guts for you to admit this. Thanks for sharing.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Hey guys

So, I'm actually ashamed for sharing this but I'm sharing cause I realized it's not nice and decided to stop.

I tend to pressure other players with texts at the online table. And sometimes I did curse them and all. I thought that by doing that I would put them under psychological pressure and maybe force them to loose focus or even tilt. Kinda trying to express and aggressive image not only by my play style but thru texting intimidation.

The thing is that today I realized that this can actually backfire and make me loose my temper and take bad decisions.

Not only that, I started to reflect on how I see other players that do it. Taking Phil Hellmuth as example. He is or maybe used to be a jackass at the table. I've seen him cursing people an all and ended looking bad for everyone. And in the end passed an image of an unstable player instead of a intimidating player. And there are some other examples. I've seen Devil Fish and others disrespecting other players also.

So today this guy said that my stack was too fat and he was going to take some of it. I was already texting donk and fish emojis whenever I won a pot so he just jumped in the bully texting against me.

So I was texting some harsh stuff and ended getting into a bad situation cause I wasn't focused on the game but mostly into messing with the guy. In the end he shoved and followed to end up loosing half my stack to him.

So I'm not doing this anymore for more then one reason. First cause I want to be focused and second cause I don't the jackass image associated to me.

Another lesson reinforced for life from poker. Respect everyone. Maybe even more the ones that don't, cause you will have a good image of yourself and also be good with yourself.

Do what? Bullying? Nah everyone has done it at some point of in their life :cool:

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really find it amusing when people try to bully others online. I can't even take anyone seriously if it is not face to face.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys

I have never done it and glad to hear you won't be doing it either. :)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No never attempted to 'table talk' anyone.

The few times I have been dragged into such a conversation was when someone initiated a sarcastic tone towards me and then I will push back. But my standard operating procedure is screen shot and send to the mods if anyone is deliberately offensive.

Glad you have reversed course.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No, never.

I am glad you are taking on a different approach and hope that you are more successful on the poker felt by doing so.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey guys

I have to say this, I really have a lot of respect for you for posting this, Admitting your errors and working to never do this again. You have earned my respect sir and I hope your gains at the tables are many.

As for your question, no I haven't every dont that.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't worry about it, most folks are smart enough to turn off or ignore that sort of childish b.s. Glad you figured it out, good luck.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No.

Glad you might be changing your mind. Im sure you dont need this kind of action to be a winner.

I've read all the other replies and yours will be the first I'll answer even thought I've already been touched by others replies and it might influence this reply.

I guess it might be an obvious feature, I don't know, but I figured out that we can mute players.
I'll definitely take advantage of that feature.

Yeah man, it's also about my mindset at the table. Focusing on my best decisions and seeing only myself as the reason for loosing or winning. Cause in the end only me can really take the best decisions towards getting the fattest pots and loosing the least chips right?

So why would I mess with others at the felt.
Yeah, not doing it again.

Thanks for sharing brotha.

Don't worry about it, most folks are smart enough to turn off or ignore that sort of childish b.s. Glad you figured it out, good luck.

Haha... Yeah.

It's funny cause I just realized that many times I was expecting a reply and never got it.
Probably they just went like: Pssst... And muted me.

Haha... Less of a fish now.

Appreciate it.

Wish you the fattest pots.

I have to say this, I really have a lot of respect for you for posting this, Admitting your errors and working to never do this again. You have earned my respect sir and I hope your gains at the tables are many.

As for your question, no I haven't every dont that.

Hey Luvepoker.

I really appreciate your reply.
Not the first time I get one from you.

I already had lots of respect for you from early replies and I'm stocked from having yours now.

And hope your hopes about my gains are fulfilled also haha.
And have the same hopes for you who probably already have many gains.

Looking forward for your replies.

May the poker gods bless you bud.

No, never.

I am glad you are taking on a different approach and hope that you are more successful on the poker felt by doing so.

Woooaaa ...

Look who's replying my thread!

Wish it was a thread about something less embarrassing.
But still felling blessed by having one from you.

I can assure you I won't ever do it again.
Lesson learned.

Felling like I've been touched by an god now.

Thank you so so much for spending time and effort on my thread.

Definitely hope to have more of them and for better reasons.

I have never done it and glad to hear you won't be doing it either. :)

Super WOOOAAA ...

Aw man, I'm having super important people at the forum replying my shameful thread.

I'm flattered but wish it was cause of a better one haha :embarasse.

Guess it's not so bad cause I'm actually opening myself to an awakening!

I'm really really really going to respect all other players live and online.

Lesson more than learned.

Super uber thanks for replying my thread.

I really find it amusing when people try to bully others online. I can't even take anyone seriously if it is not face to face.

I found out that a poker bully can also be someone that plays really aggressive and thought many people would come to my thread thinking of that. And probably they did.

"Bullies will bet, raise and re-raise with impunity until someone forces a change.
... will open with a wider range of hands and is likely to barrel more frequently."
Taken from: https://www.pokerlistings.com/how-to-beat-the-poker-bully-part-1-end-the-enabling

Yeah man, not doing the disrespectful texting anymore. Truly awakened to the fact that it's not a good sportsman behavior.

Thanks for sharing.

No never attempted to 'table talk' anyone.

The few times I have been dragged into such a conversation was when someone initiated a sarcastic tone towards me and then I will push back. But my standard operating procedure is screen shot and send to the mods if anyone is deliberately offensive.

Glad you have reversed course.

You know that I thought this was possible.
Never happened with me but totally possible.

Hope I don't have to take such extreme measures one day and glad no one did it to me.

Enough of being the jack*** at the felt for me.
This will be part of my to be shark journey.

Appreciate your reply man.

It took real guts for you to admit this. Thanks for sharing.

I had to do it man.

It was part of letting go of the fishiness.

And it truly felt like taking a weight of my back.

Pure honesty right there.

And thank you for sharing also.

Its great, that you have realised this and changed your table attitude. I also like your point about respecting everyone. If I am honest I am also sometimes in a tilted mindset when playing, where I think of other players as "idiots" without actually expressing this in the chat. And it does not help me play better, so the more we can rid ourselfes of this way of thinking, the better :)

For other people reading this, it is also worth noting, that on most sites chat abuse can actually get you banned, and just how stupid would that be? As serious online players we obviusly need to protect our accounts and future ability to play on those sites, that are available. A really good rule for any online activity is to never say something to a person online, you would not also say face to face ;)

Nice man.

Appreciate you opening about some "toxic" thoughts. Definitely they won't help us focus on the game.

As I wrote at one of my replies. I am the only one that can make me get the fattest pots and loose the least chips and bad emotions can get in the way of that.

So why would I let myself believe that other players are on the way of that?
I'm actually disempowering myself this way.

Instead I should have everyone comfortable at the table. Mostly the ones that are giving me the most chips. So they can stay and gladly keep spilling chips away. Right?

Very much obliged for your reply.
May the flush be with you.

Never. Actually just turn chat off. You dont need it. A little bit of class goes a long way these days. At least you are having the thought for change.:idea:

Agree.

You know what, by deconstructing the word gentleman I realized what I have to do to have the self image I want.
Of a man with class, a gentleman.

Don't want to be brute, stupid, inconsequent.

Want to be respected and respectful.

So as you sow what you reap I'll be gentle as a gentleman.

Appreciate you writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Woooaaa ...

Look who's replying my thread!

Wish it was a thread about something less embarrassing.
But still felling blessed by having one from you.

I can assure you I won't ever do it again.
Lesson learned.

Felling like I've been touched by an god now.

Thank you so so much for spending time and effort on my thread.

Definitely hope to have more of them and for better reasons.

Aw, thanks for that. :eek:

The fact you are airing your dirty laundry will be embarrassing but should also be helpful for you! This is one way to make yourself accountable, too. :)

2fingershuffle

2fingershuffle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys

Huge respect for admitting it and taking action!

hecendorfer

hecendorfer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience I would say bullying others during game is mostly working against you in many ways. Not to mention the so called etiquette..
You can put yourself on tilt and causing serious damages in your bankroll. Showing up ridiculous in the other players eyes. All because you shifted your focus on some questionable tactic its not even working for you. Not even fun for you due to your possible losses.
Bullying is never good aggression its frustration when you cant deal with the situation you try to compensate your weaknesses.
In poker aggression is more about effectiveness.
Despite all misusage i miss the chat function from some poker rooms sometimes as ideally it gives you the opportunity to communicate with people who like the same game.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience I would say bullying others during game is mostly working against you in many ways. Not to mention the so called etiquette..
You can put yourself on tilt and causing serious damages in your bankroll. Showing up ridiculous in the other players eyes. All because you shifted your focus on some questionable tactic its not even working for you. Not even fun for you due to your possible losses.
Bullying is never good aggression its frustration when you cant deal with the situation you try to compensate your weaknesses.
In poker aggression is more about effectiveness.
Despite all misusage i miss the chat function from some poker rooms sometimes as ideally it gives you the opportunity to communicate with people who like the same game.

Definitely no more abusing other players thru text.

But I learned that I can be bully in a respectful manner.
I can be a bully by betting and raising a lot.

And that form of bullying is accepted and pretty useful sometimes. ;)

Thank you for sharing.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Definitely no more abusing other players thru text.

But I learned that I can be bully in a respectful manner.
I can be a bully by betting and raising a lot.

And that form of bullying is accepted and pretty useful sometimes.
;)

Thank you for sharing.

Learning how to be a big stack bully in the late stages of MTTs and SNGs is extremely useful:)

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like that British player, Tony who would bang the table.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As a poker player who (from an impressionable age) looked up to Phil Helmuth, I certainly had to break this habit...

Generally everything would fine, but if a player called my raises with a lesser hand and sucked out on me- I used to whale on them with a tirade of criticism and ridicule.

That is totally wrong and unacceptable for a whole host of reasons.

It has a negative impact on your own mindset, it's unpleasant for the person on the receiving end (for all we know it could be their first ever game*) and it makes for an awful table atmosphere for everyone who has to put up with the petulant nonsense.

Personally, I have cardschat to thank for showing me the light on these (and many other) topics as it was through being part of this community that I started to see things very differently.

One of the most (if not the single most) important aspects of a successful poker strategy is having a good, balanced, positive, healthy, logical and unemotional mindset.

If we're constantly on the precipice of blowing up or on the lookout for ways we can verbally attack our opponents in attempt to tilt them, we are poles apart from being on an 'even keel' mentally, we're basically the complete opposite, and this is always going to negatively affect our expectations.

Ultimately that kind of behaviour is bad for you, unpleasant (but beneficial) for your opponents, bad for the table atmosphere and casts a negative light on the game as a whole.

Any player with experience will just be laughing at you, an inexperienced player might not come back or otherwise you've drawn attention to their mistake and stopped yourself from being able to gain chips from the same error in future.

Ultimately, a long list of drawbacks and zero gains! :wink:

Definitely break the habit asap! :icon_thum

*If it is their first game or they haven't been playing long, this kind of abuse might put them off ever coming back which is awful for poker in the bigger picture.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a poker player who (from an impressionable age) looked up to Phil Helmuth, I certainly had to break this habit...

Generally everything would fine, but if a player called my raises with a lesser hand and sucked out on me- I used to whale on them with a tirade of criticism and ridicule.

That is totally wrong and unacceptable for a whole host of reasons.

It has a negative impact on your own mindset, it's unpleasant for the person on the receiving end (for all we know it could be their first ever game*) and it makes for an awful table atmosphere for everyone who has to put up with the petulant nonsense.

Personally, I have cardschat to thank for showing me the light on these (and many other) topics as it was through being part of this community that I started to see things very differently.

One of the most (if not the single most) important aspects of a successful poker strategy is having a good, balanced, positive, healthy, logical and unemotional mindset.

If we're constantly on the precipice of blowing up or on the lookout for ways we can verbally attack our opponents in attempt to tilt them, we are poles apart from being on an 'even keel' mentally, we're basically the complete opposite, and this is always going to negatively affect our expectations.

Ultimately that kind of behaviour is bad for you, unpleasant (but beneficial) for your opponents, bad for the table atmosphere and casts a negative light on the game as a whole.

Any player with experience will just be laughing at you, an inexperienced player might not come back or otherwise you've drawn attention to their mistake and stopped yourself from being able to gain chips from the same error in future.

Ultimately, a long list of drawbacks and zero gains! :wink:

Definitely break the habit asap! :icon_thum

*If it is their first game or they haven't been playing long, this kind of abuse might put them off ever coming back which is awful for poker in the bigger picture.

That's very informative man.

Definitely there's lots to gain from sharing experiences here. Like having a reply like yours and many others.

I really appreciate that.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad u have realized it’s not good to mistreat others at the table. I have no respect for anyone that needs to bully others around. Some of the things I see in chat box is horrible. I am certain most wouldn’t dare speak that way if they were not hidden behind a computer.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Phil Helmuth is certainly a great example of how not to act at a poker table, and how not to control your mental game. I think, he have gotten better over the years, but around a decade ago he was the biggest loser on the two seasons of pokerstars "big game". And while he got unlucky in some spots a lot of this was due to a series of, what can only be described as bad tilted calls. Actually this whole series is still worth watching today for both entertainment and education, and its all available for free on Youtube :)

T

TokeVerdijk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope, it is necessary to work with this point of view to get the desired result. And to be happy with it.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad you're changing your tune a great attitude goes a long way in life