Online Bets

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having trouble reading people at online poker tables with so little information compared to real life. Do you think somebody's trying to bluff if they bet the exact same amount as my stack? They had 27000 chips to my 1800. It was just us two left. Why would somebody take the extra time to enter my exact stack amount rather than just clicking the all-in button?

Any other tips for reading betting styles online?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A1: They do it to show confidence in their hand and to intimidate you. I sometimes will let a bluffer bet into me until the river and then put in a bet that leaves them with 1 chip, just in case they get AA the next hand with 1 chip left for maximum tilt.

A2: there are just way too many players and bots online to get any good reads based on betting amounts. The one thing I have noticed is that average players take more time to bet when they think they have the nuts. This may be helpful for you when you are trying to bluff someone off their hand. Then again, you will run into maniacs that will call you with anything depending on where you play.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A1: They do it to show confidence in their hand and to intimidate you. I sometimes will let a bluffer bet into me until the river and then put in a bet that leaves them with 1 chip, just in case they get AA the next hand with 1 chip left for maximum tilt.

A2: there are just way too many players and bots online to get any good reads based on betting amounts. The one thing I have noticed is that average players take more time to bet when they think they have the nuts. This may be helpful for you when you are trying to bluff someone off their hand. Then again, you will run into maniacs that will call you with anything depending on where you play.
Leaving them one chip is kind of a d... move. Why do you feel pleasure in someone else's pain?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Leaving them one chip is kind of a d... move. Why do you feel pleasure in someone else's pain?
Usually I am the one that ends up feeling the pain when they go all in and I am looking at their quads or straight flush.

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So I should play the same way whether they're shoving their massive stack vs betting my exact stack?

Leaving them with one chip is funny but it carries a tiny bit of unnecessary risk. I once clawed back into tournament contention with 15 chips and dumb luck.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Shoving is more likely to be a bluff tell than betting your exact amount, in my experience. However, I think in the end you just have to play according to your strategy and not play scared. Be consistent with your decision making. If you find that you are making -EV decisions, hit the books and readjust strategy to improve.

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your best bet... is learning and remembering peoples betting patterns. TAKE NOTES, every chance you get if you have trouble remembering. I'll play with people and when they do something outlandish or noteworthy.. it helps me make choices weeks later. I personally have bluffed and had the nuts when doing things like that, if you or your opponent is balanced properly... it is to hard to say. :)

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For reading will help special for moreover invented programs ..in online poker it is almost impossible to read the opponent as there is often a change at the tables ..when playing 1x1 or at a table on the 9x players ,for this there are courses of instruction..in a few words to no describe..

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the info and advice, everyone. I'm already seeing my game improve with good old fashioned reading and practice. Next step is the note-taking.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on a lot of factors, one being how many chips are in the pot and stack sizes. If your stack is similar to the pot size and they have you comfortably covered, they might be making a legitimate bet to get maximum value. On the other hand, they could be bluffing you with a hand full of nothing just because they can.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Note taking is a good idea like you stated, it will ultimately give you the best info for your decision.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold if facing all in and you ain’t got the nuts haha