Notes on players

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever since i started this challenge of 0 to 1000 with no deposit or transfer on my experimental account its been tough.

Tough as in the field is a bit crazier in play at the micros but my biggest thing is notes. I spend a lot of time making notes and i so rarely see the players again. About the only ones i do see are the cc free rollers notes and very few at the .10/.25 cash table. Just seems like an unlimited amount of players at the micros. Does anybody else bother with notes?

i sit for hours just watching making notes not even in the game. But im really starting to think its a waste of time. :fight:

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever since i started this challenge of 0 to 1000 with no deposit or transfer on my experimental account its been tough.

Tough as in the field is a bit crazier in play at the micros but my biggest thing is notes. I spend a lot of time making notes and i so rarely see the players again. About the only ones i do see are the cc free rollers notes and very few at the .10/.25 cash table. Just seems like an unlimited amount of players at the micros. Does anybody else bother with notes?

i sit for hours just watching making notes not even in the game. But im really starting to think its a waste of time. :fight:

Hi,
I am experimenting something similar with yours. From Zero to 1 million...lol
You might think i'm joking but i am not. In ACR, there's this Venom steps sat. which actually stand a chance to win a seat in the Venom. Yes it's really though, i had twice attempted the step 6 but was knocked out. I still have 1 more step 6 ticket which i intent to play it once i got another as a back up rebuy. Fun but tough.

As for the notes, it's surely worth your time. In Micro, tons of recreational players coming and going. Like you said, you don't usually meet them again on the table. Reasons are either they are broke or don't play that often. Keep taking note, you only need to win 1 hand with notes taken on that villain to worthwhile your effort.

Keep working on it. Let's see if you are the next MoneyMaker. :icon_flow

Tr0pik

Tr0pik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Win a all satellites and win a main venom tourney... i dont think so its possible :D

0cean

0cean

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take notes in the tournaments. I play tons of freerolls & I do see many of the same players and players I have notes on. My notes are short & color coded.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont take them as often as i should. generally im taking them on those i see that shouldnt been in a hand to begin with and win. Now i run across alot of them being i dont play cash games

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop wasting your time taking notes for hours... Work at McDonalds instead for 5 hours and then buy a HUD software that will take notes on everyone you play against automatically...

Another problemwith notes on micro stakes is that they can also hurt you, cause many players there do not have a balanced strategy. A player can easily play like a maniac on 1 day and then like a rock the next... Make sure you add dates to your notes and see if a player consistently shows the same patterns to not be misguided by notes you took on someone in only 1 session

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I do not think the news is relevant because the players do not have a well established style of play, adopt the style of play depending on the tournament, buyin and many more. I think you better realize his style of play at that time at the game table so don't waste time with that!

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not so good because it is minimal so you can collect information, analyze the table when you play not occupy more in any cate software support but the notes do not see if it's something that you contribute a lot, the notes can play you in against that define a single player by analyzing it once and do not always play that develops

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
:heeeellllOf course taking notes on players is a good thing. If a player gets your attention note why and where. It doesn't take much, just an identifier such as $500 GTD/$5 Buy-in: notes of action here (slow-roller; agg-donk; bluffer; etc.). When I make it to a final table I usually make a note on every player there that they made the FT, starting w/the lowest stack since they're at risk at going out first. I also have a rule as to what stakes I take notes. I will not worry about trny's/sng's under $2. When it comes to ring-games it doesn't matter unless they're sitting on a stack 300x, or better, the BB.
Most importantly when taking notes is to pay attention to them. I mean what's the point, right?

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HUDs are good to help define your opponents and to analyze your play. Notes help fine tune the HUD stats. If you see someone open pushing 80bbs to win 1.5bbs it says a lot about the player.

Aldorabe

Aldorabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's a waste of time the same thing happens to me

J

jrsilvamg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is important because if you find the player again you will already have information about him

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
If i'd actually waste my time on doing that then describing opponents as "weak and naive(and never being adventurous either)" - could be (partially) true about every single time :bebored:

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really need to get better at note taking, I always end up typing too much and probably non of what i wrote is even helpful. I now tend to just colour code players as depending on how aggressive/tight they are etc.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t know about cash games, and notes play a very important role in CIS tournaments. they help determine who reg and who not. When playing regularly, you often see the same opponents at the tables

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that to take notes about the players - an empty case; security service deals with such things.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,to tell you the truth,I sometimes take notes on players when I play Spin&Go´s..I´m aware I should do it when playing cash and tournaments as well.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The notes are definitely good. The players may can change their strategies, but you have a little piece of information about them. Millions are there, but if only one of them will be back to your table your effort would pay out. So be hard-working.

B

BrunoIngrassia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In small and micro limits it is useless to use annotations as many players do not play often or simply fold. Sites with large user traffic have these problems of constancy. But in larger limits it is always worth collecting information, mainly from presumed range by position

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love notes for tourneys

Tough as in the field is a bit crazier in play at the micros but my biggest thing is notes. I spend a lot of time making notes and i so rarely see the players again. About the only ones i do see are the cc free rollers notes and very few at the .10/.25 cash table. Just seems like an unlimited amount of players at the micros. Does anybody else bother with notes?i sit for hours just watching making notes not even in the game. But im really starting to think its a waste of time.
This must be one of the biggest difference in cash vs tourney play. I play almost exclusively tourneys and I can state as fact I see the same players in nearly every micro event. Freerolls are stacked full of 'regulars' and they play pretty much the same every event. Higher buy-in events (1-3 dollar buyin) also have a regular field and those players do not vary there play styles. Some freeroll players DO change up how they play when playing buy-in events - and those tendencies are very easy to spot and are added to the notes I take. Yes at the micros the fields are large and constantly shuffling, but when I see the same player(s) playing very stereotypical lines (nit/tag/lag/maniac) I create a note - and these notes are NOT a waste of time.
The great thing about note taking is being able to list tendencies and patterns, and tells, what a HUD does not provide, beyond statistical actions from position. HUDs I'm sure do help but I do not use one and prefer notes to keep the game - similar to playing live.

Stop wasting your time taking notes for hours... Work at McDonalds instead for 5 hours and then buy a HUD software that will take notes on everyone you play against automatically...
Another problemwith notes on micro stakes is that they can also hurt you, cause many players there do not have a balanced strategy. A player can easily play like a maniac on 1 day and then like a rock the next... Make sure you add dates to your notes and see if a player consistently shows the same patterns to not be misguided by notes you took on someone in only 1 session

The reason you state why notes are a problem because players at micros do not have a balanced strategy - is EXACTLY why taking notes is very helpful - in my opinion.
If a player is playing a balanced strategy a note on that player would be useless. If the player overbets pot on the river (as a balanced strategy) when he arrives at the river with a bluff, 2 pair, the nuts, or a missed draw - any note on that player would not be helpful.
Adding a note on that same player only betting 1/4 pot as a balanced strategy when holding the same hands as listed above would not be of any use.
However playing against unbalanced players is exactly why notes are extremely helpful. When micro player X overbets on the flop - I know from past play he either hit top pair or is semi-bluffing the draw, because his tendencies are not balanced and rarely change. When they do - I add it to the note - but keep the original note - because it is useful to know when a player get tilted. Players often revert to aggro tendencies when tilted.

I do agree that dates and play 'styles' are a very helpful addition to notes. Although most players at the micro level do not change from maniac to rock. Most maniacs can not play any other way - it's just luck if they get the cards or not. They are either busting with crap cards or building huge stacks on huge swings hitting the cards they 'hope' come. Even late in events when some maniacs have lucked into building a stack - they seldom tighten up and make the final table. Some good players at the micros can swing from tag to lag and those players are usually the ones that I end up with in the money near the final table.

HUDs are good to help define your opponents and to analyze your play. Notes help fine tune the HUD stats. If you see someone open pushing 80bbs to win 1.5bbs it says a lot about the player.
This is pretty much a perfect statement. :)

Anecdotal recent related story.
1k gtd tourney on ACR, 10k starting stack, 12 min blinds 15 levels of late reg.
Final field size roughly 600.
I do not use a HUD - only take notes.

Pretty nitty play from the field to start off with. A lot of limping and fit or fold on flop.

I'd built up a top 15 chip stack by taking advantage of limpers and playing my strong hands aggressively - like normal.

Later on I had a similar sized stack arrive at the table - sitting in the BB when I was in the CO. My notes on this player told me he was a station in the blinds and would continue with any pair - even call down big bets with middle pair. Note also pointed out he showed tendencies to over bet semi-bluff lead river with these kind of hands.
That note worked out well for me, and within 5 orbits I had added his chips to my stack.

Mid-stage of the tourney I get a 'noted' LAG two seats to my right. The specific part of my note that was helpful on him was he would open ANY Ace 5x. So when I saw this I was able to continue with pretty much any two - and was able to hit the cards I had - knowing one of his cards was an Ace - and ended up adding his chips to my stack.

I was able to coast into the money without much effort because of these notes I had taken.
And ended up min-cashing (LOL) when an unknown solid player got my stack with quad 44s over my Aces up boat. ugh! NH :cool:

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's a good habit to get into, surely?

Being stuck on mobile it's not an option, but will be doing so when back on comp for sure!

pokergopher

pokergopher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Instead of taking notes I choose a simple 3 color system of red, yellow, green depending on how I view the players ability.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It may not be a waste of time, but if it is something that will distract you while you play personally, I don't take notes, I just dedicate myself to analyzing the players while they are at my table, because as you say it is difficult to find a tagging I recommend you to just play and watch the players at your table so you don't get distracted