Taking notes: What is important to take down?

F

felipeandujarr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so much people told me, "if you want to progress, you got to start make notes about your opponent". my question is, what thing your think is more important to write about them.

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general, I note how the player made mistakes or made an unusual play or plays any way out of normal. You want something brief so that you immediately know what their issues are.

For example, if a player limps with a hand that is normally raised (like AA or AK) I make a note "lmpd AK in co". If the player later does it again, I now know he/she is probably an inexperienced player and they limp with big hands so "limps with big hands" goes in the notes. From then on I know to be suspicious of their limps. I then also color code their avatar as an inexperienced player so I can tell from a glance what kind of player they are.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just do little things I see them do against me

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so much people told me, "if you want to progress, you got to start make notes about your opponent". my question is, what thing your think is more important to write about them.
For me it is not important to have informations about my opponents, important is intuition of the moment.

D

DomDoctor01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically for me is to have different categories .A category of player has a specific type of play , range , preflop and postflop action .You can judge it pretty easily in a few hands in most standard low stakes tourneys if you have experience .Even so you have to be careful because this doesn t mean that that particular person stays in that particular category.
Have them like : Fish , LAG , Shark , etc.
Gl !

reska11

reska11

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, this is very important because I often play heads up zoom tournaments, I usually indicate if they are bluffing, and in 80% of cases it helps me.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, I note how the player made mistakes or made an unusual play or plays any way out of normal. You want something brief so that you immediately know what their issues are.

For example, if a player limps with a hand that is normally raised (like AA or AK) I make a note "lmpd AK in co". If the player later does it again, I now know he/she is probably an inexperienced player and they limp with big hands so "limps with big hands" goes in the notes. From then on I know to be suspicious of their limps. I then also color code their avatar as an inexperienced player so I can tell from a glance what kind of player they are.

I played it in the beginning when I didn't know very well the moves and the way to play in a correct way, but as always not everybody is born knowing but learning and training, for that reason I still play with fictitious money but from time to time I play the real tournaments.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most sites now have colored note labels you can put on opponents.
Yellow= Call station
Red= Agressive
Orange or Brown= Reg or Rock. ABC player
Purple or Pink= maniac or loose
Green= Green Fish. (Free money)
Blue= Blue Fish. Knows how to play, but has some holes in his game

2nji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to take note of hands i have seen him limp-call, or call 3bets with, sometimes just the type of hand he will check call or check raise.
Hands he will call or shove all in pre-flop are also good.

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

As I’ve described in another topic, I don’t usually take notes. But seeing these posts, I think about getting started as these are good ideas and I know it helps in the game.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually take notes about their style of game, if they are aggressive or tight players.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I will def take notes in Omaha if the guy gets crazy with pairs

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The main thing is that you yourself understand what you wrote there.:)

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On the site I play the most everyone is anonymous and there is no chat so it's impossible to take notes that can be used from game to game. I mostly play triple up SNGs, and though I don't take notes what I pay particular attention to is what players raise with, what players call with, who is aggressive and who is timid, who is tight and who is loose. And I'm always on the lookout for the players who appear to be reckless. There is a fine line between being aggressive and being reckless. Sometimes reckless pays off with big dividends but usually they are the first to get knocked out of the game.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is what actions the opponent does most often.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It's definitely important to know about your opponent tendencies. Do they always Cbet? Do they often fold to a 3bet? Do they bet when you check? ..etc.. But what I think of as relevant might not be so to you. I mean you should take notes of whatever details that could eventually be helpful to you in the future against specific opponents.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
- if he/she is tight or loose

- if he/she is bluffing often

- if he/she is passive or aggressive

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The notes i take on players is pretty comprehensive and im happy to share them.

1. What position are they raising from
2. Their bet sizing - look for consistencies and inconsistencies
3. Regularity/frequency of pots played.
4. Hands at Showdown
5. Hand Ranges

Then factor this all in to effective stack size, stage of tourney/blinds stage and you should have a good base to start from.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
take notes with what hands he played and how often does an amateur bluff

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My colour codes will tell me if a person plays a loose passive game or aggressive. I just later add notes when I finally see the cards they have limp called with, or what they show up at showdown with, any raggy hands and I now know my recreational badge of honour I gave them, was earned correctly

I try to keep my notes in short hand though. It looks messy if it's too many notes.

If I'm on a site that doesn't allow HUDs and I'm playing on my phone (my laptop died a few months back... RIP, you won't be missed) I will buy a note pad and write the opponent's name down and take notes from there.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If, in my opinion, a player plays outside the box, then I will definitely mark it !!! Also, I always look at the player's statistics and mark a profitable player or not!!!

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I note if someone bluffs. Also the range sometimes. If it is high that comes close to bluffing.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't play that often to take notes, I mostly tag good players to be more accurate, but in general I try to adapt to everyone and play from my strategy and the opponent's play that I see. I think that notes can not always help, so I focus on the ongoing actions.