To multi table or not to multi table?

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a hard time trying to multi table. I tend to make more calls that I regret than good calls.

I think that it can be a good thing for someone who is just playing by "fast" math.

Personally I like to be way more involved in the games that I am participating in. I like the psychological aspect of the game. Trying to anticipate each players action.

Those that multi table, always tend to be running behind and tend to get into snap calling or run out their time bank. Either one is not going to be effective in a possitive way for that player.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have a hard time trying to multi table. I tend to make more calls that I regret than good calls.

I think that it can be a good thing for someone who is just playing by "fast" math.

Personally I like to be way more involved in the games that I am participating in. I like the psychological aspect of the game. Trying to anticipate each players action.

Those that multi table, always tend to be running behind and tend to get into snap calling or run out their time bank. Either one is not going to be effective in a possitive way for that player.

how do you predict this > Those that multi table, always tend to be running behind and tend to get into snap calling or run out their time bank. Either one is not going to be effective in a possitive way for that player

After stating this >>> I have a hard time trying to multi table. I tend to make more calls that I regret than good calls.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I think multitable playing is ok, but first need have a expierence, and skiils and of course bankroll managment.

first i think learn, and overcome a one table, then two tables :D when you will see that your bankrol is growing in long therm then think to play 3 tables.

Good to increase your skills to play multitabling is crosswords solving or playing scrabble or sudoku, or other mind games.
then you are practicing concentration and better memory and overall brain is better working.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also struggle when I have more than 1 table to play. I decided to force myself into some freerolls, in order to have more tables at the same time and experience a lil bit more of multi-tabling.

It worked, and now I feel more comfortable with 2 tables. Sometimes when some mtts overlap even 3 at the same time.

It is a matter of practice and experience. I know some SnG players that got this skill just by multi tabling single SnGs. It makes it much easier when you move up to tourneys.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you predict this > Those that multi table, always tend to be running behind and tend to get into snap calling or run out their time bank. Either one is not going to be effective in a possitive way for that player

After stating this >>> I have a hard time trying to multi table. I tend to make more calls that I regret than good calls.
I guess I predict this is what is happening because it happens almost every hand from that player. I don't see a reason they would just let the clock run out almost every hand or they are making calls that end up showing they had bad cards all the way through the hand.
That is just my thoughts on that.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Also it could be that they are just trying to play too many tables.

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just bored of playing at one table, I always open at least 4 tables

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are playing just for the sake of the game, one table is enough, but if you want to make more profit, more tables are essential.

It all depends on what you want to achieve. :)

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I don't recommend playing more than 4 tables. I have played more, six, very occasionally a couple more. Jonathan Little say he plays up to twenty. I think that is insane.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think so too, playing at several tables is pure fast math, no psychology.
I tried to play at 4 tables at the same time, it did not lead to anything good, I start making unnecessary extra moves, A good game turns out only at 2 tables, and the best game is when I play at one table.

GODZZ

GODZZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like playing MTT 's , 1 or 2 at a time . I'll [lay 6ngo's at 6-8 tbls . Really any more than 2-3 tbls takes the enjoyment out of the game for me.

glgl

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm not a bot i'm human that is the reason normally i play at max 2 tables at the same time.

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I prefer multitable.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can only concentrate on two tables.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You can multitask, kill two or three birds with one stone. I always have some music on or news programme. Leaving that aside, don't play too many tables.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
multi tableing

I have played 4 at a time and it is brutal . i know some players who play 8 or more i dont see how this is possible.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I guess I predict this is what is happening because it happens almost every hand from that player. I don't see a reason they would just let the clock run out almost every hand or they are making calls that end up showing they had bad cards all the way through the hand.
That is just my thoughts on that.
The point I was making (which you seem to have completely missed) was...
you're basing this off of what experience? Your own... which is obviously very limited.
State this to a guy who multi-tables 10 to 20 mtt's for 8 to 10hrs. per day, 5 days/week. Pretty sure their outlook will be FAR different.

Also, it sounds like you're basing your experience off of just ONE player (or perhaps it's just how you've worded it).

And to assume that one needs to play only a certain way while multi-tabling is completely false. It might be for YOU if you were choosing to do so.... but not for others believe me.

I still consider myself an intermediate recreational donk but I would be 100% bored out of my mind if I tried playing on even just 4 tables. A member in a post above states that J. Little plays 20 tables and how that is just 'insane'.... but is it for him? I'm sure if it was, he wouldn't be doing it.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Depends on the individual. It's easy to play normal, slow speed 9max tourneys on 8+ tables for me. if it goes down to 8 or 6max, and turbo, hyper of course less tables are suitable. Usually running different type of structures in the same time, so 4-6 is the ideal.

The fast math doesn't really stand for most of the multi table players. It's pretty easy to decide what to do pre-flop, most of the times. Later on, on the following streets it's getting more difficult, but you don't play down all the preflop involved hands to showdown. Flop also not a hard one, turn is a critical, on the river often everything is in the pot, so nothing left to decide....

Are there more miss clicks, bad calls, run out of time, can't check the opponents, don't remember how he played in previous hands etc.? Sure, it is part of it. I don't mind that anymore. The other side, if you don't multitable badbeats can run for months+, so you get really disappointed about the game, if you multitable it doesnt last so long.

Most of the players take more attention to 1-2 tables all the time, where they went deep, have higher buyin, gtd, play the tourneys regularly etc. Some even mix it with other things, like sng, multisng, spin&go, but the main focus is on the tourneys.

Multi table players run out from patiance later, don't mind if someone purposely slowplay without reason. Need 2nd activity only at the beginning of the day and near to the end of the day, when less tables are running.

Personally what i hate, some rooms don't have option to click out from the table window straight away, if it jumped up (or you can turn it off only with the table pop up together...). Really annoying, if you play in 2-4 different rooms in the same time.

But it really depends on the person, i even know high stakes players, whose agree with your opinon, and they play only 1-2 tables, tourneys paralelly.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play maximum 2 tables at the same time. more than 2 is too many for me.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you everyone that gave feedback. I am glad I posted this. I have learned some useful information from these comments.
I know it is more profitable and faster to get through the variance when playing multi tables. I will try just doing 2 or 3 tables for a while and see if I can get used to it.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your playing style and knows your limits, after a session with 1 or 4 tables, reviewing your actions you can answer if it was a "normal game situation" or "lack of attention"

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always play multiple tables at the same time, but I think the ideal for me is 4 tables at maximum at the same time, more than that I think I can't keep focus.

V

VadaPav

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Max I have tried is 12 tables at a time and the experience was f##kin crazy. It was alike a roller coaster ride.

Best i play is 6-8, yes it takes practice.

Good luck folks