microstakes

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing poker since 2010. I started playing seriously 4 years ago. I know the whole story about poker. I worked with coaches. But nothing works on microstakes. Nothing works even on the distance. It's just a lottery. This Dispersion cannot be won. Sometimes it seems to me that online poker is just cheating. Sometimes I want to give up everything and forget poker like a bad dream.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I have been playing poker since 2010. I started playing seriously 4 years ago. I know the whole story about poker. I worked with coaches. But nothing works on microstakes. Nothing works even on the distance. It's just a lottery. This Dispersion cannot be won. Sometimes it seems to me that online poker is just cheating. Sometimes I want to give up everything and forget poker like a bad dream.

Microstakes are very difficult to beat unless you follow a certain strategy with a very strict discipline. The players you face there don't fold anything, so you have to make serious adjustments. Check out Nathan "Blackrain79" Williams, you'll find some helpful tips about the subject.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Microstakes are very difficult to beat unless you follow a certain strategy with a very strict discipline. The players you face there don't fold anything, so you have to make serious adjustments. Check out Nathan "Blackrain79" Williams, you'll find some helpful tips about the subject.
I read it 100 years ago. This is not my first day in poker and I understand everything. I think microstakes are not passable without luck. Because of the incredible dispersion.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It is true that in the microstakes it is much more difficult to win because a lot of people just call everything and you have to be much more patient than being in the higher stakes. Sometimes it is not because of the stakes that you lose, but because you are simply not lucky enough to win, because playing poker also requires a bit of luck and no matter how good or how bad you are, that is a factor that simply belongs to it. I am currently one of those unhappy people who, no matter what, always finds someone who is more fortunate. But I have good news for everyone who is like me, it will all be over and then we will win again:rolleyes:

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m just tired of everything. I have a feeling that math doesn’t work in online poker. I didn’t have enough 8 points before the bonus as I was destroyed by coolers until my bankroll became zero. I will not make a deposit. I will take a break from poker. I played freerolls from your site. I won't play anymore. This is not poker. This is clownery.

The shortfall in EV was about 800 big blinds yesterday. No comment. This was done on purpose to nullify me and I made a deposit. 8 points were not enough before the bonus. Just a scam.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Zapahlohotrona. I have to disagree with you on the point that nothing works on microstakes. As high as I've ever played is 25nl. Right now I'm playing at 10nl on both of my money sites, and I win most of the time, unless I make stupid mistakes. But I probably play much different than other players at that level. I'm real patient, so I do a lot of folding and wait for the right cards. I know some players that makes a good profit from micro stakes. I asked a guy one time, since he was a real good player, why he didn't move up in stakes. He said, "why would I risk money at a higher level when I'm making good money at this one." Makes sense to me. I learned a lot from players like him. The target is the weak players. GL today

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Microstakes are a swamp and a waste of time.There, of course, something can work out, but this requires a lot of luck.For me it is better to play via satellite to a tournament with a large buy-in, than to waste time on micro

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont agree, that "nothing works on microstakes" or "its impossible to overcome the dispersion". Usually these comments are made by people, who expect instant results, like being able to run a 34$ balance up to 1.000$ in a few weeks. And unfortunately this is not, how the game works. Its also important to remember, that the rake is often high at microstakes, and some game formats can be difficult to beat as a result. Formats like "fast forward" cash games (Zoom) and turbo SnGs are the worst in my experience.

Finally microstakes should obviously not be the end goal for a serious player. And if OP has been playing poker since 2010 and seriously for 4 years, then why is he still stuck in microstakes? This is something, he need to be honest with himself about. In my experience its not that difficult to build up a 4-figure bankroll allowing you to play small stakes games, if you start with a reasonable deposit like 100-500$. I have in fact done that multible times on two different poker sites.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Micro Limits are very popular and call a lot, so why not make your opponents pay for your best hands as much as possible to compensate for the losses during bad beats?

D

Dangames8282

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good to play microstakes for me is a waste of time, because the field is very large and there are many tigth players, it is best to start in lowstakes

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think about freerolls and micro as about lottery which results depends more from my decisions than simple gambling. But much depends from dealer also. So I try to maximize effect of my decisions to avoid big leaks.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
BIG Game

will you consider the hands that are won ... similar to the hands you lost ... example: you are all in losing until the turn, and River comes your card and you win; do you consider this victory as an injustice of online poker:D:jd4:

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
micro

Hello . you are right in everything the micro are a lottery especially in pokerstars. where AA KK QQ. they are hands that lose very often against 6-2 3-4 2-5 etc.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't think its cheating but agree a lot its a lottery at microstakes

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to adjust your strategy. If everyone else is too loose you need to tighten up. Be more selective of then hands you enter. Make sure you have excellent pot odds pre flop when entering- when you do hit your hand you WILL get paid off. And then let go of the hands where you are probably only a slight favorite and somebody is betting heavy into you. And then bigger raises preflop with your premium hands- thin the field and build a bigger pot. And if you raise enough to give the villain lousy implied odds you are even that much more ahead.

Have you considered moving up in stakes? If you are playing .02/.05 have you tried .25/.50. The quality of player won't move up immensly, but it has to be a little better.

E

etouu1979

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that same frustration and I really want to get rid of everything and not play anymore, I face unusual situations every day, always losing due to the bad luck factor and on the river the only card that gives the victory to the risky villain appears, who goes down losing post flop

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I read it 100 years ago. This is not my first day in poker and I understand everything. I think microstakes are not passable without luck. Because of the incredible dispersion.

I play poker for the fun of it and I play in the micro stakes. Micro stake are beatable.While I do think variance is wider here I can usually play the style I want to depending on the play at the table.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Big Game

you can try playing $1, 180 player multi table sit-go; great tournament great players, this tournament you will be able to hold your game well; YOU CAN try to play a satellite to win a spot in the Sunday storm and always a tournament what time to decide the champion:eek:

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played once in a tournament with 1M prizepool, but my deposit limits don't allow me to play more of those and I don't want to increase the limits.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I think the same as you... but I never tried to climb a little to small stakes to see if its diferent. Did you?

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think to truly enjoy/win at micro-stakes is to pick the games carefully. Find really low buy-ins w/10+mins blinds. Patience is key and hands should be limited for a while until you can run the table. Or play ring games, two tables a session in your spare time. I'm not saying you'll make a living at it but you can get a roll started.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Microstakes are hard to handle because there are a lot of crazy people .
Sometimes it's just better to not play on lowest stakes

K

kahuamp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried training - playing 6Max on the Advancedpokertraining website. Not as a full member(which gives you the complete analysis) - but as a free member.

You get to play against bots which for the most part play just like in Nathan's videos - calling with anything ( on easy difficulty which is the only free one you get on the site)

I followed Blackrain79's strategy to the book and tried to go 1000 hands just to see where I stand. That means no playing marginal hands whatsoever, TAG style to my best understanding of it, playing in position, value betting my premium hands, 3-betting to defend the blinds with the better hands, following the charts etc.

I managed to reach 1000 hands only one time without losing my whole stack ( I acually got 2x profit or something like that)

Ever since, I cannot make it past 400-500 hands without getting stacked- the coolers keep on coming.

IRL I have 3x profit at the moment(15 euros investment which I managed to turn into 60 recently)

With the plethora of training websites, videos, Apps etc nowadays, it is a lot more difficult to be a winning player these days. A lot more people know a little bit more about poker gameplay in general - I think the mindset is the major factor which makes a difference, as well as finding the very worst of the worst opponents, like villains who will call with deuce 4 on a Q Q J 10 board. And there aren't half as many as back in the day when he wrote the books.

Otherwise it's "take my money today, give me yours tomorrow" situation for most of the time. Might as well play the lottery than making a profit at the micros these days.

I am not bashing nor questioning Nathan's advice regarding poker at the micros, on the contrary, I am extremely grateful to him for what I have learned from all his videos and books.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually don't bother with them, but I do play them when my bankroll is low.

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a lucky game, if you don't have luci, you lost:))