Mathematics or luck

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The skill is what allows you to put yourself in a position to get the "luck".

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In long term its maths, less mistakes u make, more money u make in a long run, short term is more luck because even if u play good u can still lose your roll

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont stress TOO much on mathematics regarding starting hands when i am in position . how often do you fold Q-7s on the button to see a flop of QQ2 coming up . how often do you fold 6-5o on the cutoff to see that you would have floped the nuts (2-3-4)

for me it happened more than enough to losen up in mid to late position

but when it comes to draw chasing i am a little more careful

J

JJLakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont stress TOO much on mathematics regarding starting hands when i am in position . how often do you fold Q-7s on the button to see a flop of QQ2 coming up . how often do you fold 6-5o on the cutoff to see that you would have floped the nuts (2-3-4)

for me it happened more than enough to losen up in mid to late position

but when it comes to draw chasing i am a little more careful
Too too many times.Fold Q7 miss a full boat.Play Q7 and miss completely.

J

JJLakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too too many times.Fold Q7 miss a full boat.Play Q7 and miss completely.
Hoping to learn some math and odds etc with Cards Chat Forum.I joined less than 24 hours ago and have already learned quite a lot....awesome!

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Using the tools

From the beginning of my poker playing I had a lot of mistakes of which I understood that luck is a factor or as it is technically called it is chance that affects the results, but even so there are good players who rely on mathematics to make an assessment of the hands and to be able to take advantage of them.:rolleyes:

I agree that the careful use of math can be a great tool, however if one is playing live it becomes somewhat difficult if not impossible to apply a lot of mathematics, other than the simplistic odds of 4 or 2% on the number of outs. But to delve into EV and other deep thought math formulas at a live table is not realistic. Being old school I prefer to play on my knowledge of other players tendencies, their bankroll at the table and my position and cards.
:):):(

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should call if it's more profitable
Especially when playing deep bankroll

phoenixKK

phoenixKK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Math in poker means probability for me.In real life the probability is really important on our choices ,in poker this probability has to be analized.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
From the beginning of my poker playing I had a lot of mistakes of which I understood that luck is a factor or as it is technically called it is chance that affects the results, but even so there are good players who rely on mathematics to make an assessment of the hands and to be able to take advantage of them.:rolleyes:

Poker is mostly luck. Your bad luck and other people's good luck. Take a gander at the way some people play at very high stakes. I've seen Maria Ho lay down top set on the flop, and Daniel Negreanu call his opponents hands precisely. But there is so much awful, terrible play you have to wonder how they got to play for such high stakes.

W

wwwb66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Math and luck go hand in hand. Without both you won't win. But as has rightly been written here, in the long term, math will dominate luck.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Math, good reading, and good strategy help, but poker also has a lot of variation.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
our lives are just too short sometimes we catch in our poker lives the shit part of the whole mean.

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mathematics and luck. And don't forget about psychology!

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You always need luck, but you can never be lucky all the time. Math is good and useful, if you're good at it.
In my case, i love math but i suck at using it in poker games. Especially online, where i always ran out of time calculating chances, my hands gets folded always.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I`d like to be mathematics more important,but it seems that the luck is number 1.

J

JOHNNYROD143

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many bad beats

I find that when I play online I have many more bad beats than when I play in person. I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence. One of the possible reasons I have thought of as a reason for this is that hands are played much faster online. However, I still feel like the bad beats are much more frequent online making me question the integrity of certain platforms. Maybe I'm just a sore loser though:eek:.

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can play 1000 tournaments, you need math, but if you are playing in the world Cup, you need luck

T

TripQs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA

AA is not the favorite hand of most by chance, a math takes us further, but not always.

Placket Aces are the best hand Preflop

But only the seventh best hand after the flop (potentially)

That’s why it’s better to play heads up by utilizing big preflop raises to eliminate the field

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, nothing will work without luck, but the most important thing I think is still mathematics! On one good luck, you can't last long! I used to think that poker is a game of luck, but over time I began to understand that not everything is so simple, in this game you need to think a lot and make difficult decisions! For this, I fell in love with this game, here you need to think you can bluff, or maybe you can just be lucky, but if you own the mathematics of poker then your chances of winning are greatly increased! Learn more, train and enjoy and you will succeed! I wish you good luck at the tables!

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The better you are at hand reading and 'math' the less the results are likely to be impacted by luck. Luck's biggest role is in marginal spots such as preflop shoves, the closer you get to the river and can narrow your opponents range the less luck will play a factor.

In high stakes games - the aggression is extremely high, and thus poker players are in marginal spots frequently and have to take small edges - resulting in high variance - which means luck plays a big role.

In 'free money' games - there is also a bit of variance when players are hyper aggressive because the money is meaningless.

In low stakes games where the money is enough that players care about winning - usually it is pretty clear when you have a strong advantage, so if you are losing at small stakes - there is probably a serious leak in your game.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both. Think of it as a skill set game with mathematics and luck involved. Nothing is for certain but I think its also a practice makes perfect kinda thing. Good luck and have fun crushing em. 🍻