Make bankroll through freeroll myth or reality?

Z

zc13expert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before it was heard a lot that moderately successful players had never deposited a single dollar. This is due to schools that gave them initial capital on the condition that they train with them (I don't know if any of them succeeded, I particularly lost the money hahaha). Now it is more complex, although I would not say that difficult.

There are a variety of freeroll tournaments, either those of the halls, or those of external pages.

The great dilemma is how much should we or do we want to go, to venture into the real game?
I am a recreational player and I love Omaha Hi / lo, I would say that a reasonable amount would be at least $ 50

Right now I'm playing 2 private freerolls, let's see how it goes. In today's room, I won 0.07 if I entered equal prizes 3 times in 5 days, it would be 1 dollar, which makes the road very, very long.

Any freeroll expert to tell us about their experiences?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would not classify myself as any more of an expert than many on CC (as obviously most regularly play free rolls) but the first thing that springs to mind is something simple - exercise patience.

You are already aware of what it takes as you mention a .07c score but never lose sight of the fact it is 'free' money (but for time invested) and appreciate every cent you make. The fact is if consistent, it will be cents here and dollars there. If disciplined it is achievable. I frequently read how others start building a bankrolll and then begin buying into tourneys early days so the bankroll keeps getting pagged back. That is something I avoid. When setting a bankroll goal I stuck to it - absolutely no temptation to 'buy in' until I reached the bank roll goal. In fact that spurred me to 'score' on other free rolls which offered tickets to other cash or higher level tourneys. Those tournament entries quenched the buy in temptation.

Once I started getting traction and having some better scores, I found I met my first goal quickly then promptly doubled it. I had some brief discussions with other members and then posed I might run my first year as a CC platinum member playing nothing but FRs - which I ultimately decided I would do. That first year completes fairly soon- I now have bank rolls on 5 sites.

However, it does take patience and, it should be noted, I have made no withdrawal along the way. If you have that patience and determination required it can be very rewarding.

Once I hit the one yeat anniversary, then I'll consider other options to move forward.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before it was heard a lot that moderately successful players had never deposited a single dollar. This is due to schools that gave them initial capital on the condition that they train with them (I don't know if any of them succeeded, I particularly lost the money hahaha). Now it is more complex, although I would not say that difficult.

There are a variety of freeroll tournaments, either those of the halls, or those of external pages.

The great dilemma is how much should we or do we want to go, to venture into the real game?
I am a recreational player and I love Omaha Hi / lo, I would say that a reasonable amount would be at least $ 50

Right now I'm playing 2 private freerolls, let's see how it goes. In today's room, I won 0.07 if I entered equal prizes 3 times in 5 days, it would be 1 dollar, which makes the road very, very long.

Any freeroll expert to tell us about their experiences?
I'm going this on way. I want to start playing without investing money. I had success in poker school, this is second place. But then I gave up poker, now I want to go back and start over.

it's a long way, but it's really reachable!:cool:

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you can, most people make a bankroll through freerolls...But really in the long term..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes its possible, especially if you become a member of the CC freeroll club, or platinum level as its called now. But as I have said many times before, I dont think, it makes a lot of sense. If you are serious about online poker and willing to invest a lot of time in it, what is then really the problem with also investing a bit of your own money? Like 500$ or even 100$? Its not like your time is free either, since you could have used it to work and earn a salary.

If you are brand new to poker, you want to practice at limits, where the money dont matter, before you start to play lets just say 5-10$ tournaments. And yeah ok freerolls can give some of that practice instead of 1-3$ tournaments. But except for special ones like the CC platinum level freerolls, they are mostly going to be hyper turbos, and a lot of people are not going to be taking them serious at all. Maybe 3.000 people are contending for 300$, so its going to be like a play money game. And for this reason you wont really learn much, and you will still need to practice with 1-3$ tournaments, before you can move up, where the money start to be at least a bit real.

To be honest I feel, a lot of people are just focused on the story. Like "LOL I now have xxx$, and I never deposited a dime." But nobody is going to care about that other than yourself. So why not focus instead on something, which is a real achievement? Like maybe becoming so good, you can beat 22$ tournaments or 55$ tournaments.

M

Movi84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its not a myth, you can start with freerolls for bankroll.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
no

Good morning everyone, I think it's almost impossible, to earn money playing only freeroll.
The secret to making money playing poker is to play many tournaments a day to win with the volume, considering that a good player will get to get ITM in 30% of the games.
When you join a poker team they ask for at least 500 Mtts per month.

J

JoeDurt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning everyone, I think it's almost impossible, to earn money playing only freeroll.
The secret to making money playing poker is to play many tournaments a day to win with the volume, considering that a good player will get to get ITM in 30% of the games.

Wow 500 per month is a lot of volume!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just got busted out of a weekly "Knockout tourney" The Biggest bounty of $29.00 with the red target on him had just lost a massive pot and he had less chips left than I had, so when he pushed all-in I thought he was steaming and called his all in with Pocket 3s. The guy who had stacked off him in the previous hand also called with 8/10 suited and when the cards turned over the big bounty was on Ace King.
Flop 6,7,8, 10 turn and Jack river so I got busted along with him as the 8/10 suited hit 2 pair if the player had folded 8/10 I would have had the biggest bounty lol

That's Poker

emmy67

emmy67

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Freerolls alone are unlikely to make a living, but they can be used to build a good bankroll. I only built up my entire bankroll through freerolls and have therefore never had to use my own money. However, that was at a time when there were a lot of poker forums and the poker providers were showering them with freerolls to get new players. Today most freerolls are just donk tournaments due to their structure and have nothing to do with poker except that there are cards in the game.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If just played freerolls and set tight withdrawal targets and stuck to them instead of getting greedy playing bigger and bigger games,
Also depositing would need to be a rare thing only when necessary to verify accounts or unless a great bonus easy to play through is attached to depositing for example.
Freerolls would be the safest and best way to play poker and grow and protect your roll overall as no deposit downswings would occur that ruin most players when their deposits are bled dry by variance,coolers,currency exchange fees and rake.:eek:
But I still like to deposit a decent amount and play bigger mid-stakes games from time to time as life changing money for me anyway as everybody is different is in the mid-stakes and higher stakes to lose or win,
Not the freerolls and micros but they are a good starting point first rung of a ladder without risk but yes a reward is there if win.
Very few players will make it though from freerolls to the nosebleeds buy ins and maintain a good solid BRM roll for the nosebleed level but it is still possible.
1.Freerolls no buy in necessary
2.Micro-stakes – $1 - $25
3.Small-Stakes – $50- $100
4.Mid-Stakes – $200-$600
5.High-Stakes – $1000- $10000
6.Nosebleeds – $20000 and higher

Last edited:
C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it’s a reality but you need a lot of patience, specially in the beginning. I remember that on Chris Ferguson freeroll challenge he took 7 months to win a starting bankroll.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember the pokerstars freerolls where eight or nine thousand players registered. You had to get into the top 100. After four hours of playing, you realize how hard it is to earn even a cent. When I chose a very tight strategy and entered the top 35 players, I realized that everything is possible.

C

capujoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a reality, but you have to play solid tight poker and have a lot of patience. Avoid losing your chips in the early rounds where everyone always goes all-in.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've built a sizable bankroll many times from freerolls. I've turned around and lost it every time but built it just the same. Yes you can do it, you just have to really want it.

komar125

komar125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can easily build a bankroll from freerolls. I do it many Times. You must be determined to systematically try and learn from your failures.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how many times have i tried to raise my bankroll from freerolls and then by bankroll management it always ended with 0 on the balance

UnknownJebrone

UnknownJebrone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out Global Poker. You can make about $3 a week just by signing in. They'll give you .25 each of the 1st 4 days, .55 on day 5 and 6, and $1 on day 7 if you sign in 7 consecutive days

Freewka6101129

Freewka6101129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reality, won freerolls several times in a row and raised the bankroll to $ 600

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is the thing. Yes you can make a bankroll from freeway. Because every game you play is +EV. If you average making 5 cents per game, you play 1,000 game you have $50 dollars.

Problem is can you make money in a for cash MTT? If you can, then you are wasting a lot of time building up from a freeroll. Because you are not going to make much playing freerolls and you have to invest a load of time in there.

You are not going to improve your game playing freeroll. Freeroll is another beast. If people have 0 invested, some shove all hands just to bust out. players like me sometimes go afk. Because they got too many tables.

Closing, if you are a winning player save your time from freeroll deposit some money and start winning. If you are a losing player, you will lose your bankroll the second you leave free roll.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I win a free roll I take the winnings and bet football parlays. I hit one for $90 a couple weeks ago. With a little luck I will parlay it into a decent roll. G'Luck

T

TomWH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll Bankroll

Currently playing at ACR as it's one of the few sites allowing Californians. :rolleyes: I forget what they provided when I first logged on, I think it was 5 free sit n go's, and $10. When I logged back on a few months ago, I had $8 in real cash I won by winning 2 of the SNG's, and $18 in tourney bucks which I have used to play real money tourneys. I now have $60 in cash, and $7 in tourney bucks left. I just won my first tourney for a $25 win using the tourney bucks to play a $1 tourney, it may have been a $.27 cent tourney. :confused: Yes, it is possible to realize a nice bankroll, but actually cashing out is another story for another post.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just started with NLOP and it is an odd experience. I am just getting back into poker and do decent on there, but I agree it is not a learning experience. I am a TAG, so most of the time I am dealing with idiots betting huge with the dumbest cards and winning more than they should. I have gotten about 25 so far in a few weeks.

UnknownJebrone

UnknownJebrone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a myth for most people, a reality for few

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management