Little Bank and Micro Tables

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a bankroll less than 10x the max table buy-in, does it make sense to try to grow a bankroll by playing in micro cash games? Would sit-n-go's, freerolls, and tourneys be the ideal route?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a bankroll less than 10x the max table buy-in, does it make sense to try to grow a bankroll by playing in micro cash games? Would sit-n-go's, freerolls, and tourneys be the ideal route?

I keep seeing people post these kind of questions, but they never give details as to what the purpose of their "bankroll" is....

By this I mean are you trying to build a bankroll to pay your bills because you don't work? Do you have a bankroll because you are trying to stop tapping into your money from your job, so you're separating it from your life roll?

The answer to these questions are relevant because if you have a job then you don't need a "bankroll" per say, you just need a budget and some help finding the best way to become profitable.I want to properly be able to answer your question. So I will "try" and include information regarding either situation... but it would be easier if I knew your situation.

First off if you're trying to follow BRM then you still need to be playing free rolls. Because even for the most conservative route in BRM you need 20 buy ins for cash and 100 buy ins for tournaments.

However I truly don't think Bankroll Management even matters at the micro's... I mean if not losing your deposit is the goal then yes BRM will bandaid that from happening as often, however, if you're losing long term it doesn't matter how many buy ins you have you will eventually go broke.

When people generally talk about BRM they are playing professionally and use this as a way to fade the variance and not go broke after a short sample due to a downswing or swings of variance.

The whole purpose of managing your bankroll is based upon the fact that this money (your bankroll) is your soul income source. If this isn't the case then you don't need BRM you can buy in to any game for any amount you want.

That being said, I think what you're asking is what game would be best for you to make money?

If that's the question then the answer would be whichever game you're better at. There is no "ideal route" it will be based upon how much time you play each game, what you study, how much you study, and what you are naturally good at, these things will determine the best route for YOU. If people give you advice on what to choose it will be because that is what has worked for them. What works for others will not work for you (it could) but you need to find out which game you are most profitable at. Once you have that information play those games as much as possible. In the mean time study and figure out why you aren't as profitable in other areas. Good luck.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every streamer and bank roll guide has said something similar to 1:100 buy in management for MTT's, cash games I'm not quite sure. I'd start with micros and free rolls and build from there, it's slow going but it's the safe way to learn and build.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep seeing people post these kind of questions, but they never give details as to what the purpose of their "bankroll" is....

By this I mean are you trying to build a bankroll to pay your bills because you don't work? Do you have a bankroll because you are trying to stop tapping into your money from your job, so you're separating it from your life roll?

The answer to these questions are relevant because if you have a job then you don't need a "bankroll" per say, you just need a budget and some help finding the best way to become profitable.I want to properly be able to answer your question. So I will "try" and include information regarding either situation... but it would be easier if I knew your situation.

First off if you're trying to follow BRM then you still need to be playing free rolls. Because even for the most conservative route in BRM you need 20 buy ins for cash and 100 buy ins for tournaments.

However I truly don't think Bankroll Management even matters at the micro's... I mean if not losing your deposit is the goal then yes BRM will bandaid that from happening as often, however, if you're losing long term it doesn't matter how many buy ins you have you will eventually go broke.

When people generally talk about BRM they are playing professionally and use this as a way to fade the variance and not go broke after a short sample due to a downswing or swings of variance.

The whole purpose of managing your bankroll is based upon the fact that this money (your bankroll) is your soul income source. If this isn't the case then you don't need BRM you can buy in to any game for any amount you want.

That being said, I think what you're asking is what game would be best for you to make money?

If that's the question then the answer would be whichever game you're better at. There is no "ideal route" it will be based upon how much time you play each game, what you study, how much you study, and what you are naturally good at, these things will determine the best route for YOU. If people give you advice on what to choose it will be because that is what has worked for them. What works for others will not work for you (it could) but you need to find out which game you are most profitable at. Once you have that information play those games as much as possible. In the mean time study and figure out why you aren't as profitable in other areas. Good luck.

I guess my question was asked in a very novice way.
I'm not on the level to implement BRM yet.
I'm fortunate to do as well as I do.

In context, I better understand the variance involved in any given playing day online and need to do some study when I get to a point where the information will be relevant.
Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. Now, not so eager to bluff so much!

S

suener

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing micro tables is more or less like playing bingo, far too many all-in gamblers...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
playing micro tables is more or less like playing bingo, far too many all-in gamblers...

What tables are you referring to? And... why would this be considered a bad thing? Don't we want there to be lots of bad players?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As Memphis already mentioned, only YOU will know what games you're most profitable in (ie.if you have experience playing MTT's, then I'm pretty sure choosing micro cash will be a poor idea).

Not quite sure what you mean by this
"I better understand the variance involved in any given playing day online"
??

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Memphis already mentioned, only YOU will know what games you're most profitable in (ie.if you have experience playing MTT's, then I'm pretty sure choosing micro cash will be a poor idea).

Not quite sure what you mean by this
"I better understand the variance involved in any given playing day online"
??

long term results and actual short term results

Loosing 5 hands in a day when going all in with A/A. Losing that many times amounts to about 1 in 1.4 million against any given hand. Wonder if something is wrong with the player or the game? You share the experience and then someone talks about variance and the need to become a better player.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
long term results and actual short term results

Loosing 5 hands in a day when going all in with A/A. Losing that many times amounts to about 1 in 1.4 million against any given hand. Wonder if something is wrong with the player or the game? You share the experience and then someone talks about variance and the need to become a better player.

So you're basically still questioning whether the poker site is 'rigged'?

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because even for the most conservative route in BRM you need 20 buy ins for cash and 100 buy ins for tournaments.

So you're basically still questioning whether the poker site is 'rigged'?

I take it your questions are rhetorical.

I replied to MemphisGrind about variance from the bankroll info he provided. (In a given day, a rare occurrence of losses would not have a big effect on profitability because it would not be likely for the same losses to occur in the same situations over time).

If 20x buy-in is most conservative, some people with 3 buy-ins will probably overreact to a run of improbable losses.

Regardless of how well you play, if you cannot buy-in multiple times, it's hard to overcome a loss, be profitable or have an objective perspective when things with low probability happen.

Pokericon08

Pokericon08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate being the short stack on a cash table. It seems likeyou have one shot at doubling up caz u get pushed by every other player. That first call has got to be a hand ur willing to die with.

Splitpot88

Splitpot88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess micro cash would be ok depending on what your goal is as Memphis stated. If you don't have much of a bankroll you should be playing the freerolls and the fr sattys. I also like the .55 on demand MTTs they don't usually have many players and 1st place is 10x your buy-in.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
U dont choose what kind of game u play by the size of your bankroll, just the size. If is tournament, cash game, stngo, u play that u fell more confortable, and make more money

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've truly experienced some bad beats over and over.
However, had I saved up all my cashes on freerolls, I'd be much further along than I am.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I take it your questions are rhetorical.

I replied to MemphisGrind about variance from the bankroll info he provided. (In a given day, a rare occurrence of losses would not have a big effect on profitability because it would not be likely for the same losses to occur in the same situations over time).

If 20x buy-in is most conservative, some people with 3 buy-ins will probably overreact to a run of improbable losses.

Regardless of how well you play, if you cannot buy-in multiple times, it's hard to overcome a loss, be profitable or have an objective perspective when things with low probability happen.

This is normal stuff though... & 20buyins honestly isn't that conservative for cash tables (30+ might be). 20 is a tad on the aggressive end tbh.

MTT play = 200 buyins

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is normal stuff though... & 20buyins honestly isn't that conservative for cash tables (30+ might be). 20 is a tad on the aggressive end tbh.

MTT play = 200 buyins

I probably used the wrong word.. (conservative) I meant that 20 buy ins would be the least amount of buy ins you should consider. I used conservative as a synonym for least when it is probably not haha This is my mistake. I hope the point wasn't lost.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that with your bankroll you can consider Sit & Go with buy-ins of $ 0.10 and $ 0.25.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

MTT play = 200 buyins

I probably used the wrong word.. (conservative) I meant that 20 buy ins would be the least amount of buy ins you should consider. I used conservative as a synonym for least when it is probably not haha This is my mistake. I hope the point wasn't lost.

I understand, like: at least 20x buy-in on the thin side.
I know my question was novice but I needed to ask it.

I'm limited on the hands I can play on cash tables and it seems everyone knows it.
It was my hope that a low risk style would be able to make up the difference when in fact, I accidentally clicked the wrong button on someone's flush bluff and made more from that pot.

If I had 20 buy-ins, I think I'd have plenty of opportunity to play a winning style.
Would be nice to call 4 or 5 big pot draws within a couple of hours.

I hate using the word luck, but in the latter of the larger freeroll tourneys, the tables have not been very nice to me. Maybe I just need to deposit and get some promotion cash to.