Linux and poker

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do any sites offer a linux poker client yet? I am really surprised that pokerstars hasn't got on this. It's one of the reasons why I have to stick with windows when I really want to ditch MS altogether.

I don't like playing in a browser as it's usually slower and less features than the full client.

Surely with windows 7 about to reach EOL there are going to be more people taking the Linux route. I have Mint on an older laptop and it works really well but I can't use it for poker.

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some sites allow browser play which should work for you but hardly any offer linux clients. Seals With Clubs used to have one years ago I remember which worked really well.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can remember back in the early 2000's there was a site called pokerroom that had a full featured Linux client and it worked really well. At the time the install process was long winded, I think it had to be compiled from source depending on distro used. Things have moved on a lot since then though. Most of the bigger operators offer Apps for android and ios. I can't imagine porting to Linux would be that difficult.

I would rather not use a browser because it lacks features and is generally a worse experience. Similarly I don't think WINE is the answer, even though it does work. Same with android emulators.

A

AcesAcesAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh man, pokerroom! Thanks for reminding that place! I think it was the first place where I played online, brings back some nice memories!
I think web browser clients are the best way to go, when using linux.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never had any luck at that site. whatever happened to them?

O

omnipocat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fellow Linux lover here, I've landed on Debian after a lot of distro hopping, lmao. I haven't seen any places that have native Linux support, but since I'm in the US I haven't really looked at anything that I can't play on here, haha. I do know that a few sites have clients built on Electron, which is basically an internet browser wrapped around the actual software, so sites could easily port that since it's meant to be cross platform. I also wouldn't be too surprised if you could get them to work with Wine since they aren't really graphically intensive, and a quick search on the Wine AppDB seems to confirm that. I haven't messed around with it yet since I have a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 for gaming stuff and it's just easier to use the client there, lol.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did manage to get pokerstars to work with WINE. I guess the operators will just follow the market, a lot of sites now have android apps for instance. I just want native support so I can totally ditch windows. Maybe in a few more years it will come, but I've been waiting 15 years now.