LAG strategy is winning strategy?

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been mostly a TAG player online but recently I've opened up my range a little cause I've been having not only a hard time ranging these LAGy villains but also seeing that they're mostly winning players.

They have really high VPIPs not so high PFRs and a really high AFq.

So, do you think a LAG strategy is a winning strategy at least at online poker?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
LAG is simply a strategy, not the strategy. One needs to mix one's playing styles to keep oneself competitive. Exploitative play is often quite helpful.

If you get beaten by LAG players then you are either too tight or in a wrong table.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
agree with Nafor on this one

depends on the table and player type

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And I don't think so, I think that a tight-aggressive strategy is better than a loose-aggressive one.
LAG can work on a short distance, there are times when the card comes in, you win with any hand, but it's not for long)).
In general, everything depends on the people you play with, it's not for nothing that they say that poker is not a game with cards but a game with people, so these strategies work in one situation and do not work in another.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LAG is simply a strategy, not the strategy. One needs to mix one's playing styles to keep oneself competitive. Exploitative play is often quite helpful.

If you get beaten by LAG players then you are either too tight or in a wrong table.

agree with Nafor on this one

depends on the table and player type

And I don't think so, I think that a tight-aggressive strategy is better than a loose-aggressive one.
LAG can work on a short distance, there are times when the card comes in, you win with any hand, but it's not for long)).
In general, everything depends on the people you play with, it's not for nothing that they say that poker is not a game with cards but a game with people, so these strategies work in one situation and do not work in another.

Yeah man, I simply played at the wrong time.

Was in a bad day and burnt down my tiny bankroll cause of it.

Thank you guys for sharing your views on the subject.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to mix up your strategies to throw off the villains.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A fixing playing style may be called an exploitable play, an observing opponent can notice that, deviate from his normaly play and exploit it to make bigger profit. But that is for advanced players, newbies might not be able to take advantage of that.:)

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
micro stakes long term i think this is not a profitable play

being patient and playing tag style is the best for me

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A fixing playing style may be called an exploitable play, an observing opponent can notice that, deviate from his normaly play and exploit it to make bigger profit. But that is for advanced players, newbies might not be able to take advantage of that.:)

Thanks guys, I'll use the advices in my study.

Wish y'all the fattest pots!!!

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
micro stakes long term i think this is not a profitable play

being patient and playing tag style is the best for me

What do you play bud?

Patient and tag, for sure.

How about studies, do you have any method?

Thanks for sharing.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The loose-aggressive style is not suitable for everyone. You have to have a fundamental knowledge of optimal poker game theory, to be able to navigate most of the situations you find yourself in, and to be able to quickly determine the +EV line. And this is not easy. Otherwise you'll be playing like a loose fish.
The basis is to put constant pressure on your opponents (you need the strength of position to do this).
To start with, when moving from a tight-aggressive style to a loose-aggressive style - play preflop as a LAG, and as a TAG on the postflop (cont-betting, the ability to put double barrels, competent value-betting)
A good LAG knows how and when to apply pressure and make adjustments. Otherwise, it's a fish. When they start to confuse you with a fish, it will make good money.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I use to wrestle w/this question, myself. When I started playing online I noticed that the bigger stacks at the table were usually winning pots by playing a LAG style. Of course this prompted the question 'am I playing this game wrong?'
That's when I started adding up all the factors of the game, itself. What type of game? What's the buy-in? Re-buy or elimination? How many players are at the table? What time of day is it in the US and other places? I really started looking at the way the opportunity presents itself. Eventually my confidence built up and I was able to see poker in a new light, per say. One that I was comfortable with. The decision to TAG or LAG became obsolete. Changing gears became a new standard for me. My focus was now on the fish at the table; which is where it should be.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The loose-aggressive style is not suitable for everyone. You have to have a fundamental knowledge of optimal poker game theory, to be able to navigate most of the situations you find yourself in, and to be able to quickly determine the +EV line. And this is not easy. Otherwise you'll be playing like a loose fish.
The basis is to put constant pressure on your opponents (you need the strength of position to do this).
To start with, when moving from a tight-aggressive style to a loose-aggressive style - play preflop as a LAG, and as a TAG on the postflop (cont-betting, the ability to put double barrels, competent value-betting)
A good LAG knows how and when to apply pressure and make adjustments. Otherwise, it's a fish. When they start to confuse you with a fish, it will make good money.

I use to wrestle w/this question, myself. When I started playing online I noticed that the bigger stacks at the table were usually winning pots by playing a LAG style. Of course this prompted the question 'am I playing this game wrong?'
That's when I started adding up all the factors of the game, itself. What type of game? What's the buy-in? Re-buy or elimination? How many players are at the table? What time of day is it in the US and other places? I really started looking at the way the opportunity presents itself. Eventually my confidence built up and I was able to see poker in a new light, per say. One that I was comfortable with. The decision to TAG or LAG became obsolete. Changing gears became a new standard for me. My focus was now on the fish at the table; which is where it should be.

Both are very good advices.

One talks about play style adjustments form a personal growth perspective and the other talks something alike but more technical and with a bit of information on how to.

Pretty good info guys and I'll take it into account at the felt.

Much obliged.

Wish y'all the fattest pots!

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

100% agree I been saying this for the longest. I'm a freestyle type of player I go with the flow rather as being aggressive (LAG) or conservative (TAG) whatever is working for me at the moment I play it and try to switch gears. At the end of the day both of those styles are not bulletproof to variance, bad luck, and opposition. You can succeed and fail with both of these styles of play.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the problem is that there are fish who will call you no matter what .

i often use LAG style to mix it up . but it can really cause harm

yesterday for example in a cash game i raised with A6 and the button reraised me . i knew he didnt have a strong hand ....my instinct told me that and also that he did that on the button made me believe he didnt have a strong hand . so i rereraised . he called . flop came 6-T-9 . i make a big bet ...guy goes all in . i was pot comitted and also knew i cant be drawing dead so i called . he had K9o . .....

S

shopwert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Table image is important.
When your opponent knows what you’re going to do, they will take your chips.
When you’re too tight the blinds and rake will take your stack.
If you play TAG all the time, you won’t get a lot of calls except in the lowest limits. You have to mix in enough LAG play to encourage calls on your better hands. Once you get caught playing LAG, switch back to TAG.
When playing LAG if you hit a lucky draw with a weak hand, show it. Then switch back to TAG.
Only play those weak hands when you have a good situation for your position. When you’re not sure, play TAG.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the problem is that there are fish who will call you no matter what .

i often use LAG style to mix it up . but it can really cause harm

yesterday for example in a cash game i raised with A6 and the button reraised me . i knew he didnt have a strong hand ....my instinct told me that and also that he did that on the button made me believe he didnt have a strong hand . so i rereraised . he called . flop came 6-T-9 . i make a big bet ...guy goes all in . i was pot comitted and also knew i cant be drawing dead so i called . he had K9o . .....

Do you really think you played LAG style?
You have A6 (offsuit looks like) you get re-raised and you continue with that hand. Are you ready to go on the stack already?
Wasn't it easier to reset?
Flop: you make bet big with third pair, opponent answer All-in, you call.
Do you play like TAG post-flop? Will TAG bet with third pair on the flop a lot and call the next all-in?
If you wanted to go to All-in, why didn't you go pre-flop in response to his re-raise?
Did you think his hand was weaker? Do you have + EV?
And if you were afraid to go straight to All-in, then why didn't you fold?
Sorry, but you played in the fish style.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Depends on your table

Always start the game on what strategy you are comfortable playing with, it's either TAG or LAG, then as you play hands and gain reads adjust your strategy according to your opponents style

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you really think you played LAG style?
You have A6 (offsuit looks like) you get re-raised and you continue with that hand. Are you ready to go on the stack already?
Wasn't it easier to reset?
Flop: you make bet big with third pair, opponent answer All-in, you call.
Do you play like TAG post-flop? Will TAG bet with third pair on the flop a lot and call the next all-in?
If you wanted to go to All-in, why didn't you go pre-flop in response to his re-raise?
Did you think his hand was weaker? Do you have + EV?
And if you were afraid to go straight to All-in, then why didn't you fold?
Sorry, but you played in the fish style.

i had a read on him thats why i reraised . why should i push all in preflop ? that would make no sense except if the pot would have been big enough to do that

he was lucky to hit his 9 and he was a fish for going all in on my big c-bet . i could have a variety of hands that beats him like JJ for example or A-Ts . i also had the better hand to begin .

i dont think i am a fish for reading him correctly am i ?

and if this is not LAG then what else is LAG ? lol

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I am more of a tight-aggressive player but some times, as chip leader or top 5% I will play more the loose-aggressive style; so it will depend on the situation! :driver:

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and if this is not LAG then what else is LAG ?

Your opponent goes all-in against 50% of the opening range: 66+, A2s +, K6s +, Q6s +, J6s +, T2s +, 96s, 86s, 76s, 62s +, A2o +, KTo +, K6o, QTo +, Q6o, JTo, J6o, T2o +, 96o, 86o, 76o, 62o + with 57% equity.
You call all-in with 51% equity against this range, but if you narrow your range by removing the bluff to: 66+, ATs-A9s, A6s, KTs-K9s, K6s, QTs-Q9s, Q6s, J9s +, J6s, T2s +, 92s +, 86s, 76s, 62s +, ATo-A9o, A6o, KTo-K9o, K6o, QTo-Q9o, Q6o, J9o +, J6o, T2o +, 92o +, 86o, 76o, 62o +
You call all-in with 31% equity, and your opponent went all-in with 50% equity.
Therefore, it was better to use fold equity pre-flop or wait for another situation.
You have no position to bet on this flop. The flop is dangerous for the A6 hand.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no winning or losing strategy. It all depends on how you adapt to different styles.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your opponent goes all-in against 50% of the opening range: 66+, A2s +, K6s +, Q6s +, J6s +, T2s +, 96s, 86s, 76s, 62s +, A2o +, KTo +, K6o, QTo +, Q6o, JTo, J6o, T2o +, 96o, 86o, 76o, 62o + with 57% equity.
You call all-in with 51% equity against this range, but if you narrow your range by removing the bluff to: 66+, ATs-A9s, A6s, KTs-K9s, K6s, QTs-Q9s, Q6s, J9s +, J6s, T2s +, 92s +, 86s, 76s, 62s +, ATo-A9o, A6o, KTo-K9o, K6o, QTo-Q9o, Q6o, J9o +, J6o, T2o +, 92o +, 86o, 76o, 62o +
You call all-in with 31% equity, and your opponent went all-in with 50% equity.
Therefore, it was better to use fold equity pre-flop or wait for another situation.
You have no position to bet on this flop. The flop is dangerous for the A6 hand.

you dont seem to understand that i rereraised him preflop and showed strong aggression postflop too

him calling with K-9 there EVEN though i showed so much aggression and EVEN though the flop has a ten making his pair second pair .....was just a donk move from his side because he couldnt beat much there .

you only criticize me out of spite because i called him a fish

it is easy for you to talk like that after you know what our hands were .....but him calling a rereraise with K-9 off suit and going all in with a pair of 9 even though i show so much aggression is a horrible play . period

the only mistake i made was that i didnt reraise enough . i should have reraised more preflop

if my play was not good then we can stop playing poker alltogether ....i had a big read on him and made good moves yet he played his K-9 /pair of 9 like a set .....if it is only cards and equity that matters then we all should wait for AA-KK and whoever has the better cards wins . thats not poker

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LAG strategy beats players that fold to aggression but falls to players who call down light. So it just depends on the types of players in your game. If mostly nits it wins; If mostly calling stations it loses because LAGs try to bluff them with air and get called down with bottom pair.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, at a distance, aggressive play will probably have an advantage in the current realities, especially in tournaments with knockouts, but here everything is individual and it is better to develop some kind of your own style based on mixed strategies