Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is something I use with discretion. Usually I turn it off but I can sometimes tell if a player is steaming so I turn chat on and poke the bear with a stick. Now this sometimes helps in getting this persons money in my pockets but sometimes the wrath has returned to stalk me at tables. Is this worth putting up with?

Last edited:
S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think use it. If you get him to stack off by saying something in chat that player was going to stack off either way. IMO it only puts a bigger target on your back for others to come after you

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually don't use the chat when I play Poker... I prefer to improve my concentration in the game.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I always keep the chatbox muted and try my best to focus on making good poker decisions. No point paying attention to trash talking nonsense, letting someone potentially put me on tilt, or getting involved in disputes between other players.

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chat can be fun to watch sometimes but i try to stay off it apart from wishing people GL or saying NH / GG in CC games.

J

Jenya Zemlyanukhin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I play poker I rarely use chat. And even more so I do not pay attention to aggressive players

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I luv trash talking at the table to tilt.

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to do to this a lot, thought it was +EV, but then if the other players turned out to be cool, I just flet like an asshole. If you are shameless go for it

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Like to read such kind of chatting, even when the messages addressed to me. But never answering and never use such method when play poker, not my style.

M

Marj651992

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Trash talk is bad etiquette and having idiots trash talk me because I had better hands than them put me off the game for a long time. I can understand wanting to tilt someone but the person receiving the trash may have had to put up with being put down or bullying all their lives. When they finally managed to overcome their past and they're trashed playing a game, having all those bad memories brought back by another bully is not pleasant and is harmful to recepient. I've seen the consequences

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely read the chat when I'm playing except for CardsChat freerolls.

Don't trust any information you think you are getting from other players' chat (online or live!) :D

Good luck to you!

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Worth it

I think it is worth it to poke the bear as long as you keep your game on straight. If they talk crap back and it gets to you not worth it. If you can have fun with it and talk shit knowing that's all it is and keep playing your game, then your good to go.

Sdz5252

Sdz5252

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm kinda knew around here but is there a boundary line as to what kind of trash one can throw out there (N) who is in charge of monitoring the trash talking?

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's best to turn off chat and focus on the game. I use Chat only on the final table when negotiating payouts. Chat can also be used when playing friends with Cardschat :)

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes in the chat come across nice and soulful guys
...and sometimes anti-Semites and racists

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trash Talk

For me I dont pay attention to trash talk while playing. I usually just ignore the chat box and pay attention to the game and how other players at my table play and keep notes on them.

ACESOVEREZZZ

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm kinda knew around here but is there a boundary line as to what kind of trash one can throw out there (N) who is in charge of monitoring the trash talking?
Any trash is considered bad behaviour.
I'm not aware of 'default' chat monitoring by any room.
CC games as a rule are friendly: any fellow player can report an abusive player to a CC moderator, who can give warning, or worse...

Sdz5252

Sdz5252

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Any trash is considered bad behaviour.
I'm not aware of 'default' chat monitoring by any room.
CC games as a rule are friendly: any fellow player can report an abusive player to a CC moderator, who can give warning, or worse...
Thank you for the heads up. I'm just wondering about something happening outside the rooms. But I'll just have to play it on the melo sibit on concentratinh

Thanks for the heads up: I'll just have too keep my melo head on

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen it working vs some players on the tables I played during the years , not so much as this days you rarely see someone at a table chat .
But I've also seen it back fire when the tilted player shoves any 2 an win, I for one wouldn't do it I don't want to draw bad vibes towards me.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm usually playing too many tables to trash talk.

I have chat off for this reason because it's pointless.

If I'm on less than 4 tables then I am watching Twitch/Youtube or both.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chat always off - if your bored open another table hehe

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only chat with a couple of players on a small poker site I play on. I find NH, GG, and TY are good enough chat at the tables. It doesn't bother me when someone is being out of line. Easy to ignore some angry stranger, they usually stop when ignored.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like it personally but it depends on the context and the vehemence. Emotional poker never works out for me so I find it best to keep chat off. But if you use it as a tool like you suggest, and stay within the confines of chat Etiquette for the site I understand the use of it. As for as people targeting you after ? That depends, can you make yourself profitable in those situations? Are you creating enemies? You are already the villain to the rest of the players just because they want your chips, problem is you have no idea how many friends these people have or how your name gets passed around in other forums for being a "D" . So maybe you have a target on your back.

I have gotten into heated exchanges with people over the years and have no idea what impact that has had since I never really kept notes before or even tracked stats with a HUD. SO I couldn't tell you whom I antagonized or antagonized me.

I guess I don't see the point in making a target for myself even if its a remote possibility, anymore. But if someone else starts it and I am on the rare occasion see it I just put a note in the player name and move on. On the more rare occasion that I do engage with someone that has started it I usually come back with sarcasm and ridicule their play if I can. But usually it's laced with why is a Professional like yourself playing in such low stakes games??? Can you teach me how to play?? etc.

Anyway, the further I move away from the above drama the better my winrate

Last edited:
RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always like seeing the table trash talker get busted out.