the importance of notes

T

tuckerthecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I 1st started playing I never bothered to take notes on other players, at Paradise Poker it seemed there were just to many players & I mainly play SnG's & didnt really see too many of the same faces ( or names in this case ). Since I started taking notes on other players I've gone to squeaking out a small profit to dominating the $5.00 sng's.

Here are too examples of how notes have helped me.

( 4th hand of the game ) I raised 4X BB pre flop, I get 2 callers I have K,Q
the flop comes K,5, 8. I raise 1/2 the pot, 1 fold & 1 all in! 99/100 times I fold here but as I'm thinking I mouse over the all in person ( didnt recognize the name ) & I see "plays A,junk K,junk like AA, bets way over the top with top pair" I think to myself I can probably take his chips later with a better hand but my 3rd rum & coke convinced me to call & I do..he flips over K,4 & I double up.

halfway through the tourny now & I get A,K I raise 4X BB & get 2 callers..the flop comes A,6,2. I raise 1/2 the pot & get 1 call 1 fold. The turn shows a 7, I mouse under the caller & see "loves to slow play trips, checks to the river then comes over the top" I check the turn, he checks. The river shows a 10, I check & the caller raises the pot. I fold & he shows 6,6 & says "nice read"

little things like this make all the difference between winning these SnG's & 4th, so take notes if you are not already.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree. I like to note these things as well. I make a ton of notes on 1) players who never seem to lose a hand in the showdown, 2) people that I am in the final table with at a SNG or MTT, 3) players that live and die on AK and no face cards are on the table, 4) players that have all-in tendacies with mediocre cards and 5) always trying to bluff or buy pots with enormous bets.