I Suck at online poker

tgarner

tgarner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is also another thing that I have noticed and that would be LUCK. My wife has only been playing this game for about 9 months online and she consistantly gets better cards than I do and her flops hit much more often.

I never have been a very lucky person and some people do consistantly have better luck than others. Some people may dissagree, but it's fact.

I know I still have a lot to learn about online poker, but it just seems like sometimes the forces are aginst me. LOL

E

Ernster86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL although you seem to be getting lucky, mixing alchol with higher limits than your rolled for it a disaster waiting to happen.

The stakes I have been playing is $10NL-$25NL, my % of wins or money won is much better at 25NL, but my br doesn't support that yet(but I still play it probably 1 in every 6 or 7 times I play). In tournaments, anywhere from 1.25-3.30 with the ocassional 5.50 CC game.

I know I'm not suppose to do this, but when my br gets down to a certain ammount when playing 10NL, instead of moving down I move up to 25NL and knock on wood, most of the time increase my br back up a ways. I know that's bass akwards, but that has saved me several times from running completly out of money.

One thing I've noticed I do when playing 25NL over 10NL is when I am having a bad session, I quit before I lose to much. When I am playing 10NL I have realized that even when I am have a bad or not so good session, I keep playing. So maybe I'm not respecting the money as much at 10NL and that is one of the things that is causing me to go down at that limit.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the play seems extremely different from 10NL to 25NL. I know I get torked or tilted much more often at 10NL and then that affects my play for the rest of that session.

I can also contribute some of my loses to BEER, lol. As a matter of fact just about a week ago I got pretty smashed and I guess I decided to play poker. Don't remember it at all, but I got up the next morning and checked my br and thought to myself, "you dumbass". I had lost about 60 bucks of my br and don't even remember doing it. Guess I better stick to the 12 packs instead of the 24s, lol.

tgarner

tgarner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL, I wasn't saying that was a regular thing. If I do have some beers while playing its usually only about 8 or 10 and that's barely buzz material. But most of the time when I play, it's coffe or ice tea. lol

woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ye i think live is much easier to play than online i usaly only play on ft but i have been getting beat after beat after beat l8ly just cant get and luck keep getting riverd grrrr hehe but hope my luck will change soon :):)

nascarbabe

nascarbabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
live vs online is two completely different worlds...the basic rules of poker are the same but the game play is far apart. The biggest problem I face online is reads on people. The only way to get them online is to watch play. You will pick up on it in time.

C

Craig0501

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just want to say thanks to everyone for the advice (especially aliengenius)! I think my problem is a combination of a number of things:

1. I am not as good as I think I am (maybe a common problem amongst newer players online?)
2. I am perhaps underestimating how long it takes to learn even the basics of online play.
3. I am underestimating the quality of online players at lower stakes tables and lower stakes tournaments.
4. I do not pay enough attention to the statistical side of the game.

In short, I think i need to read more books and advice (especially at Cardschat) and get more game experience.

What is the best way for me to get more experience - MTT or cash tables and can anyone suggest a good level of table given I have a $50 starting bankroll?

Last edited:
AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am killing myself trying to figure this out.
I play my local live games and just kill them, easy reads and the whole ball of wax. When I go play a live game around here, it's like pay me.
But when I play online, I SUCK, to put it lightly.
Don't get me wrong, I lose once in a while live, but it's rare.
What is so much different?
I feel like the flop never goes my way and when I get check raised and call, they still have the better hand with starting trash.
What do I do, my online stats suck, but I love playing?
Do I just play the private games for fun and save my br, or will it change, I'm going nuts here and don't know what to do. lol

I think if you are much better live, do it live generally. :)
The other thing that occured to me: Stop it for a few days and try other rooms, not just the big ones..
Smaller rooms like Everest/LuckyAce are good for starting.

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play online poker much worse than live, I think its a combination of a computer distraction and how quickly the hands go by. In live poker you can end up waiting 10 minutes for a half decent hand worth playing so when it comes round you will take care.

Also the physical presence of chips, I find, gives me insentive to hold and increase them whereas on screen its just pixels.

xtrigemino

xtrigemino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way for improve your play In online poker is practicing a lot of them. Try to play In big tourneys at the beggining, freerolls whatever. Just keep playing for long time and maybe you feelings change for sure

gl

ROJOEQUIS

ROJOEQUIS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play my local live games and just kill them, easy reads and the whole ball of wax. When I go play a live game around here, it's like pay me.
I feel like the flop never goes my way and when I get check raised and call, they still have the better hand with starting trash.
Do I just play the private games for fun and save my br, or will it change, I'm going nuts here and don't know what to do. lol

Just curious Tag,
What online sites and for what level of play are you engaging in. People tend to take live games more serious than low buy in online games which makes it harder and totally different at play..The site also makes a difference. I wont name any ..leave that to some one else. When you do play online start out playing tight aggressive until you get a good feel for the table..

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man I feel ya.

****caution long post****
While I am a winning player live. My stats don't lie, I am a losing player online.
Sadly I think it is a combination of things.

1. Lots of internet pros are using tons of screens and software such as Flopzilla, ICMizer, and heads up displays which keep up with your stats across all your poker sites.

This alone is an advantage from day 1 over a live player. We learn our opponents plays and betting patterns the natural way. Across the table. When you can see their tells.

Your opposition has software that tells them how many times you have folded to a certain raise size 3x, 4x 6x, Push ECT.

There are stats on how you bet a made hand pre flop. Post flop and basically gives them the best odds of beating you . Skill at the live poker table becomes secondary to what Flopzilla is telling them to do on 4th Street.

Sorry if this offends the online pros but that's where I have to add an addendum. If you are used to playing with more skilled live opposition I would suggest skipping any tournament under $20-30 buy in.

All the micro and mini tournaments on bet online is dominated by donks. You don't finally get to solid poker until you hit a final table.

Some may disagree. I just call it like I see it.
Pick a buy in and tournament structure that is sure to scare away bad players bankroll locked to those games. With their 3 8 off suit OOP pre flop shoving facing a 6x or 10x raise.

Now the pros will chime In and claim I don't know what I'm talking about. However those guys are not playing the micros and minis unless it's just to see what they can scoop up.

They discourage good live players against higher stakes because they know they have to playe a more solid game and leave the nonsense at the lower stakes. You do as well.

Better poker period. I do agree that if you play 1 /2 live and dominate then stick to cash games and online play the .25 .50 NL or 1/2 no limit cash .
They
suck you in with tournaments with low buy ins and unlimited rebuys and you get donked on. It's a suckers bet.

Tournament poker with low entry fees encourage bad play . I don't even think some people realize how much the skill level drops and ive had to walk away myself today.

Also. When you play online or if you do. Get in a quiet room , lose the distractions and play your game.
We tend to treat it like we are playing a free Android appstore App and it's play money when you can now literally play on your phone while out with friends and family ECT.

Hate on me if you want. The above has been true for me and now on I will be very picky about what and even if I play online and waste bankroll anymore.

Also. As a US player we can't KNOW that the sites we can play on aren't rigged in the houses favor in some way. BOTS, algarithems that "randomly" generate cards (sic) and HUDs have pretty much destroyed any micro buy ins that were at one time 10 years ago, a solid way to get your feet wet. We can't be sure the house isn't rigging a game for one of their sponsored pros to get them their payday and free advertising.

I can promise you this. Those pros don't have HUDs at a live table. They actually have to pay attention to more than betting patterns . They have to work harder for their money.

Call it like I see it. I been playing for 15 years and play a few thousand hands per month. Would love to see some of these online pros at a table. Oh and you do, they are easy to spot because their game doesn't translate well . Anyways long winded enough. Up your stakes as far as buy ins , or stick to cash only online, or put it down or see it as an investment to keep you sharp for live play. Either way if you don't have the programs mentioned, you are already at a disadvantage to any semi pro that earns a positive return. I've learned that quickly.
Yes I still play online. Lost about 50 bucks today. No biggie. I'll go out and make 10-20x that this week live. If I don't then it's not hurting my bankroll.

Keep online and live bankroll seperate as well. That's my final thought. Hate away. Just the new guy here as disgusted with the statw of the online game as the OP.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have felt like you at times even letting the game make me feel frustrated and lost. But I have realized online poker is very different then live. Online poker for some reason you have many people in low and high money tournaments and table games play the craziest cards and hit even calling your all in with nothing. Since then I have learned to play more relaxed and really don't put my money online no more. To me it is better live:eek:) Good luck out there and keep grinding

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
****caution long post****
While I am a winning player live. My stats don't lie, I am a losing player online.
Sadly I think it is a combination of things.

1. Lots of internet pros are using tons of screens and software such as Flopzilla, ICMizer, and heads up displays which keep up with your stats across all your poker sites.

This alone is an advantage from day 1 over a live player. We learn our opponents plays and betting patterns the natural way. Across the table. When you can see their tells.

Your opposition has software that tells them how many times you have folded to a certain raise size 3x, 4x 6x, Push ECT.

There are stats on how you bet a made hand pre flop. Post flop and basically gives them the best odds of beating you . Skill at the live poker table becomes secondary to what Flopzilla is telling them to do on 4th Street.

Sorry if this offends the online pros but that's where I have to add an addendum. If you are used to playing with more skilled live opposition I would suggest skipping any tournament under $20-30 buy in.

All the micro and mini tournaments on bet online is dominated by donks. You don't finally get to solid poker until you hit a final table.

Some may disagree. I just call it like I see it.
Pick a buy in and tournament structure that is sure to scare away bad players bankroll locked to those games. With their 3 8 off suit OOP pre flop shoving facing a 6x or 10x raise.

Now the pros will chime In and claim I don't know what I'm talking about. However those guys are not playing the micros and minis unless it's just to see what they can scoop up.

They discourage good live players against higher stakes because they know they have to playe a more solid game and leave the nonsense at the lower stakes. You do as well.

Better poker period. I do agree that if you play 1 /2 live and dominate then stick to cash games and online play the .25 .50 NL or 1/2 no limit cash .
They
suck you in with tournaments with low buy ins and unlimited rebuys and you get donked on. It's a suckers bet.

Tournament poker with low entry fees encourage bad play . I don't even think some people realize how much the skill level drops and ive had to walk away myself today.

Also. When you play online or if you do. Get in a quiet room , lose the distractions and play your game.
We tend to treat it like we are playing a free Android appstore app and it's play money when you can now literally play on your phone while out with friends and family ECT.

Hate on me if you want. The above has been true for me and now on I will be very picky about what and even if I play online and waste bankroll anymore.

Also. As a US player we can't KNOW that the sites we can play on aren't rigged in the houses favor in some way. BOTS, algarithems that "randomly" generate cards (sic) and HUDs have pretty much destroyed any micro buy ins that were at one time 10 years ago, a solid way to get your feet wet. We can't be sure the house isn't rigging a game for one of their sponsored pros to get them their payday and free advertising.

I can promise you this. Those pros don't have HUDs at a live table. They actually have to pay attention to more than betting patterns . They have to work harder for their money.

Call it like I see it. I been playing for 15 years and play a few thousand hands per month. Would love to see some of these online pros at a table. Oh and you do, they are easy to spot because their game doesn't translate well . Anyways long winded enough. Up your stakes as far as buy ins , or stick to cash only online, or put it down or see it as an investment to keep you sharp for live play. Either way if you don't have the programs mentioned, you are already at a disadvantage to any semi pro that earns a positive return. I've learned that quickly.
Yes I still play online. Lost about 50 bucks today. No biggie. I'll go out and make 10-20x that this week live. If I don't then it's not hurting my bankroll.

Keep online and live bankroll seperate as well. That's my final thought. Hate away. Just the new guy here as disgusted with the statw of the online game as the OP.

Need to move up in buyins to where they'll respect your raises.
LOTS of bad players these days in the micro buyin tournaments for sure! Who'd ever want to play vs. them.... especially if you're new to the scene and just getting your feet wet.:top:

C

cool3390

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tbh I haven't really played a lot live.

I know they say online is a different animal but why? If the cards are random it shouldn't be too much different I wouldn't think.

Unless your talking about the players.

Honestly the biggest thing I could think is you rely on live tells a lot and suddenly they aren't there. Maybe that's all it is

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need to move up in buyins to where they'll respect your raises.
LOTS of bad players these days in the micro buyin tournaments for sure! Who'd ever want to play vs. them.... especially if you're new to the scene and just getting your feet wet.:top:

I have to agree with this completely.
Stay away from micro stakes.
If you are playing BetOnline I suggest trying the 15-30$ double or nothing sit and goes . Basic concept is outlast the 4 other fish that shouldn't be playing there.

Pick your spots. Get as much value out of premium made hands as you can. Be deceptive with your betting practices.

Give em a go. Every site has em. Play ring games/sit and goes with a set buy in and payout structure. Shrinks the field down to the more serious live players as well as the online poker pros/semi pros/daily grinders.

Keep notes on your opponents if the site allows. Play your game. If you can't outlast 4 people out of 9 in that scenario I suggest you take a step back and pick up some training materials and range charts ECT. Don't rely on them soley but it will open up your game. Lots of great training vids out there that can help you fix the leaks.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know about your difficulties. I don't live for poker, but let it be a part of me. Don't worry. Find answers on this site and solve your problems. That's why we're all here.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not the first time I’ve seen complaining that online poker is very different from live poker. I did not play live I have nothing to compare. I both lost and win online. I like online poker because in MTT several thousand people go through you and they are basically all different from different parts of the world. and the struggle of the characters of the psyche of ingenuity of technology and the whole set of human qualities begins. and these are strong feelings. and you can earn money online. just playing + every day is not real.:saint:

Twisterman

Twisterman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You dont suck, people are just too good. Btw where are you playing?

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Find a beatable game and stick with it. Also, I know it is probably a joke but do people not come here to get better ? Learn strategy? Ask questions?

I get it. People want a easy game to beat. They are bum hunting. I suggest finding a game where the players have for money than skill and wear them out in there.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the game does not bring chips, why play it. The most important thing is to enjoy the game. If the game is not even necessary to try it again. Play what you get.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer is simple: if you win live, then play live, most likely online players are stronger, plus you can read opponents live thanks to some reads, which is extremely difficult to do online without analyzing distributions in XM2. Play where you can and do not need to invent a bicycle.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't play online anymore unless it's 25NL or lower and only 1 or 2 tables at a time.
I do it for volume...
Then on the weekends I hit the casino and play 1/2 or 1/3.
Live is easier and you can make money there and just use online for more experience.

Online simply has better players across the board.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

There are quite a few misunderstandings here. Programs like Flopzilla and ICMizer are general training tools, and they are equally usefull for online and live players. Trackers are specific for online games, but they only track a player on one site, not across site, and they only collect the hands, which the user of the tracker is involved in.

So if you are a new player, its not like, someone immideatly has a huge sample on you. But that being said, if you are serious about online poker, it is a good idea to learn to use a tracker yourself on sites, where they work.