I quit online poker NLH!

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've ditched NLH in favor of PLO because of the reduced variance factor. I wonder how many other players have made a similar change to their online game.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've ditched NLH in favor of PLO because of the reduced variance factor. I wonder how many other players have made a similar change to their online game.

Are you sure about that? Because PLO would like to show you something..

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I'm sure about is that I seem to be doing better at PLO than NLH.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I play both games and it is my belief PLO is much tougher.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think PLO is a much more wild varance game that NLH is. I could be wrong but I have heard several professionals say this to be true. I have played some PLO and found it to just have more variance but to be fair I dont playit enought to say this is true by my experience.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's all rose coloured glasses on the initial upswing of a new game. The downswings are much less forgiving than NLHE.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not so sure it does have more variance. You are playing for the nuts nearly most of the time. New PLO player so I will find out soon haha

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I wish you good luck. I do believe that you are missing on some information, most pros will say that PLO is a wildly swinging game because equity's run so close. I just hope that you come up with a strategy for bankroll management or at the very least always play with a stop/loss amount so you do not get into big trouble.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will stick to nlh, thanks

O

oldbutslow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck with your new poker adenture.
PLO has a higher variance so Keep that in mind.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still play NLH but definitely prefer PLO. Variance is high IF you try to turn it into NL pref-flop. If you keep the betting reasonable pre-flop and play flops judiciously then variance seems lower to me.

I’ve played PLO a lot at different sites, mostly 6-max cash. I’ve noticed that regs play as described above. They won’t usually throw AA away pre-flop but they know that AA loses a lot more in PLO than in NLH. If AA wins, it’s usually because of the other two cards in your hand, either alone or one in conjunction with one of your Aces. I’ve never seen a PLO odds chart but it’s clearly different from NLH.

Bottom line for me - I do better at PLO and enjoy it more.

Last edited:
ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I find that PLO is a much harder game. just 1pair is never good.so making the nuts 🌰 is Crucial. I love ❤️ PLO it’s very fun.were ever your luck 🍀 lies maybe PLO is lucky for you.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The swings in PLO are much bigger. You have to gamble a lot more but it is a fun game. Just keep in mind that these swings can come quickly in PLO, in both directions, and keep a bankroll that allows you to have these swings.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still play NLH but definitely prefer PLO. Variance is high IF you try to turn it into NL pref-flop. If you keep the betting reasonable pre-flop and play flops judiciously then variance seems lower to me.

I’ve played PLO a lot at different sites, mostly 6-max cash. I’ve noticed that regs play as described above. They won’t usually throw AA away pre-flop but they know that AA loses a lot more in PLO than in NLH. If AA wins, it’s usually because of the other two cards in your hand, either alone or one in conjunction with one of your Aces. I’ve never seen a PLO odds chart but it’s clearly different from NLH.

Bottom line for me - I do better at PLO and enjoy it more.
This is pretty typical of what happens with AA in PLO.

74450941 B78D 43B0 A978 CA26DE9279B9

Been playing for half an hour now. AA has lost 7 times and won zero times.

Last edited:
mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You lose in one poker variant and win in another and then you think that the other is better, but the problem is that it comes down to the same thing. The chances of winning and losing are the same, but it can be helpful to simply play a little differently from time to time for a while. Personally, I just like to play something else from time to time. be it Omaha 5cd or horse and so on.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You lose in one poker variant and win in another and then you think that the other is better, but the problem is that it comes down to the same thing. The chances of winning and losing are the same, but it can be helpful to simply play a little differently from time to time for a while. Personally, I just like to play something else from time to time. be it Omaha 5cd or horse and so on.
OK! Maybe the real problem is that I've unknowingly been playing with bots and have been getting my ass kicked?

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any Omaha will have much more variance that any Holdem game for sure)

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any Omaha will have much more variance that any Holdem game for sure)
The greater the variance the more you can win or lose! Ok. so I'm playing both games again but am warier of the Bot factor.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The variance and chance of losing with good play is much higher in PLO than in Texas Hold'em. In addition, a bad game will cost more.

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would never trade the best style of poker out there! Texas holdem is the best! A totally strategic and charming game, long live the NLH.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never trade the best style of poker out there! Texas holdem is the best! A totally strategic and charming game, long live the NLH.
Yeah but do you like playing against bots? Bots are easy to identify. They play multiple tables. they don't quit and they never engage in comments.

lucayam

lucayam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Personaly, I don't play PLO. I think it's a nest for big variance. Much bigger than NLH.
But I understand what you are saying here, specially when playing small tournaments and freerolls, things can become a total random caos in NLH.

W

wvielmo

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
In PLO you have more information than NHL, experienced players make better decisions than beginners. In the course of time better players will win more than bad players.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What I'm sure about is that I seem to be doing better at PLO than NLH.
Wait until variance shows its head. Variance is an integral part of EVERY game of poker, there is no escaping it, and I have played both for years and PLO variance has wider swings between the extremes than NLHE. If you want low variance try Limit Omaha H/L.