I am profitable but not with the rake included

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have looked at my 21,687 hand history over the past 43 days in my excel sheet and noticed that I am down about 1.26% of my initial investment. I am paying 5% rake though. What this means is I am profiting 3.73% that I have on the table but am losing it to the rake. My skill is higher than the other players I am with but I can not profit and am losing money. How am I ever suppose to move up in limits if I can't even profit in $0.01/$0.02???

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cant calculate it like that, since the rake is taken from each pot, that goes postflop, and not from your total bankroll. If you want to know, exactly how much rake you are paying, a tracker like PT4 can give you that information as well as calculating your winrate in BB / 100 hands.

There is still quite significant variance over a sample of 21.687 hands, but even so 2NL is so soft, that if you are not beating it over a sample this large, then most likely you need to work more on your game. Good players should be able to achieve somewhere around 10BB/100 at 2NL, which over your sample means a profit of 40-45$. And yes that is even after paying the rake.

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cant calculate it like that, since the rake is taken from each pot, that goes postflop, and not from your total bankroll. If you want to know, exactly how much rake you are paying, a tracker like PT4 can give you that information as well as calculating your winrate in BB / 100 hands.

There is still quite significant variance over a sample of 21.687 hands, but even so 2NL is so soft, that if you are not beating it over a sample this large, then most likely you need to work more on your game. Good players should be able to achieve somewhere around 10BB/100 at 2NL, which over your sample means a profit of 40-45$. And yes that is even after paying the rake.

Noted. I am downtrodden that I have played quite a bit, been very dedicated and feel like I'm getting squeezed. Thank you for the tips

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Noted. I am downtrodden that I have played quite a bit, been very dedicated and feel like I'm getting squeezed. Thank you for the tips

I advice you to take advantage of the forum and share some hands in "cash game hand analysis". Pick some, where you are really unsure, what was the best line, and not just some, where it sucks, that you lost, but at the end of the day it was just a cooler or a bad beat.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have looked at my 21,687 hand history over the past 43 days in my excel sheet and noticed that I am down about 1.26% of my initial investment. I am paying 5% rake though. What this means is I am profiting 3.73% that I have on the table but am losing it to the rake. My skill is higher than the other players I am with but I can not profit and am losing money. How am I ever suppose to move up in limits if I can't even profit in $0.01/$0.02???

It is not so much hand, that you could declare it, you can't beat the micro cg level. Otherwise, if you picked the cg, you should select where you play, also take more attention for the time when you play because of quality of opponents - i don't think it is important on micro, but upper level definitely, especially if you are a (near) breakeven player.

Look for good rakeback, leaderboard programs, don't know how it is nowadays, but few months ago just tried cg on GG, they had daily leaderboards separately on all levels (you could get back few dollars/day, if you played several 100s hands + general rakeback, have no idea about other rooms, ps probably still the worst from this point of view. (These "small" differences can push you through from the -1-2% loss to +1-2% profit.)

Check out the high stakes regular spin players... almost non of them can be long term profitable without the LBs, rakebacks... so even on the micro level, it can make that small difference, that at least you don't lose, gives more time from the same amount of money improving your game...

gl!