How random is the deck for online sites?

5harpie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just makes me wonder how random the "shuffle" is for games online...It makes me wonder if the deck is truly random or if it's fixed in advance like for instance if i don't play a hand will the same cards come up? Unfortunately I don't have a time machine so I can't confirm this.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Random number generators are used for poker, as they are for all online gambling sites. RGN is a mathematical algorithm, they never stop running, so this means it's impossible for it to premeditate a winning hand. poker sites, well legit ones, are governed by law.
It is also perfectly feasible for the RGN to deal you the same hands several time in a row.

B

bj999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
billion

This is the billion dollar question. We will never see the in and out of the programming rng or the algorithm. Anyone who has written or been exsposed will have signed hefty no disclosure agreement.

Honestly if your not sure or don't trust a site why would you consider depositing. Good thing is I don't see how it would be easy to cheat individuals. Could be possible. I think the real question is is it cheating all of us. Who knows.

Fortunately most sites have free rolls. So play them get a feel and decide. My thing is if your constantly losing you have to decide am I unlucky or do I suck, or is the site rigged. If any is your answer then don't deposit.
Good luck

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is the billion dollar question. We will never see the in and out of the programming rng or the algorithm. Anyone who has written or been exsposed will have signed hefty no disclosure agreement.

Honestly if your not sure or don't trust a site why would you consider depositing. Good thing is I don't see how it would be easy to cheat individuals. Could be possible. I think the real question is is it cheating all of us. Who knows.

Fortunately most sites have free rolls. So play them get a feel and decide. My thing is if your constantly losing you have to decide am I unlucky or do I suck, or is the site rigged. If any is your answer then don't deposit.
Good luck

This. I think it healthy to have suspicions but first and foremost common sense dictates limit your downside. We are all here to one degree or anther to utilize the freerolls.

Do just that. Build a bankroll from freerolls and you are always playing with house money.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if it's fixed in advance like for instance if i don't play a hand will the same cards come up? Unfortunately I don't have a time machine so I can't confirm this.
I think so, the moment the hole cards are dealt, the permutation of the deck cards is fixed, the players just don't know it and can't utilize that hidden information.

Last edited:
pandafreeroll

pandafreeroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heyoo, just yesterday, I made a post offering more input on this matter! So far, I only wrote a kind of 'teaser' because going for it will require time and effort, since I want to cover the issue extensively once rather than see the topic come up again and again and never find the time to answer with more than a few bullet points.

Here it is, in case you wanna check it out: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/online-poker-73/community-poll-input-rngs-desired-499882/

Cheers :D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This. I think it healthy to have suspicions but first and foremost common sense dictates limit your downside. We are all here to one degree or anther to utilize the freerolls.

Certainly agree about limiting downside, but not about playing without depositing. If we are going to invest a lot of time in online poker, we should also be willing to invest an initial deposit like 100$. After all few activities are completely free, and losing those 100$ is really no different from spending them on a night out or a Netflix subscribtion.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the principle of RNG operation is absolutely random until it is implemented back) it’s just that many players begin to confuse their downswing or bad game with non-optimal RNG operation

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How random a deck is in online poker is up to us, i.e. if we rely on chance then the deck never gets in the way, if we rely on the work done to improve our skills then the deck is more than random.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I trust RNG at pokerstars. I think that a site with such a reputation cannot somehow deceive its players.

I

ICU1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Silly

Why does it matter? Take the red pill or take the blue pill and go back to sleep. When they designed the site do you think they had you in mind or the company.

S

Spikey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just makes me wonder how random the "shuffle" is for games online...It makes me wonder if the deck is truly random or if it's fixed in advance like for instance if i don't play a hand will the same cards come up? Unfortunately I don't have a time machine so I can't confirm this.

Several sites is for sure not random play, if some of the big ones also go down that road, well we don't know for sure.

A site like 888 poker it wont take you long before you see that rigged games is actually happening and they are still up and running.