But your call on river was OK.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A calm hand in which the main goal was to reach the showdown. Any raise in response to our bet could lead to the idea of folding with pocket eights. Since there was no action, the opponents began to make ridiculous bluffs due to the lack of bets on the early streets. If they had a seven and a queen, they would probably bet on a flop or a turn. They could also make a bet with a flush draw on the turn. But they had nothing at all, except the ace high. Your bet could have caused the opponents to give up earlier, and so you got value from their bluff on the river.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe you played it good, since the Q was a scare card. I think the main thing, other than winning the hand, is that now you have info on the players since you know their holdings. Unfortunately they now have info on you, too. A bet on the flop or turn probably would have yielded a fold from the villains. I still think you played it good.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You could probably do a standard Cbet here to represent a queen. Otherwise a pretty boring hand.

R

research

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you did good, but I would bet the turn after two checks, and probably have 2 folds and win less chips than you.

One advantage though would have been no showdown so it would have left your opponents still guessing about your range there..... swings and roundabouts....chips now versus keeping them guessing longer for maybe a bigger payout.

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would start with 4x betting preflop, and cbeting flop, turn and river,

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
You played it correctly with middle pair, if you bet the river a loose player would re-raise giving you a dilemma and a weak hand wouldn't call.

nejmasni

nejmasni

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are Queen's in his range but since only Queen's beat my eights, I would definitely consider a call

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with 88, you can 3-bet preflop in order for you to have the initiative on the flop, but this is absolutely standard, a check on the flop shows that opponents hardly have Q, there is no point in betting on the turn either, a small river bet from an opponent rather shows that he has a maximum of 7 which we beat, so we call on the river and take the pot

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands