How much would you invest on a poker laptop?

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you're buying NEW, it will be good enough. But if you're into playing a lot of volume, I'd recommend your budget goes as much to your monitors. Even using a laptop, it is worth hooking up to separate screens if you're going to multi-table your evening away.
You should be able to get away with $500 or even less. IN the Uk, where I live 300GBP is plenty for a poker laptop.

That said, if you have a lot of additional software you want to run (HUD, ICMizer, etc.) then it can start to grind. Get an i5 chip or Rizen or newer. Go for extra RAM. you cannot go wrong putting 16GB in your laptop.

Make sure you get a solid state hard drive. Solid state is so much faster than traditional HDD. The difference is night and day.

Other than that, spend your money on a comfortalble chair, or better still, a sit-stand desk. Poker can be long and gruelling and hard on the body if you're not m,oving.

But alas, I'm now heading completely off topic so will stop here!

Regards,
ObbleeXY

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Are you planning to multi-table? You may need to invest in a bigger screen. Otherwise, anything basic will work.

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spent about $ 250 buying a MeizuPro7 Plus smartphone and a power bank 20000 mA + two SIM cards from different operators to switch the Internet in emergency cases operators and this is enough for me to play poker without interruption in different circumstances! :cool:

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're buying NEW, it will be good enough. But if you're into playing a lot of volume, I'd recommend your budget goes as much to your monitors. Even using a laptop, it is worth hooking up to separate screens if you're going to multi-table your evening away.
You should be able to get away with $500 or even less. IN the Uk, where I live 300GBP is plenty for a poker laptop.

That said, if you have a lot of additional software you want to run (HUD, ICMizer, etc.) then it can start to grind. Get an i5 chip or Rizen or newer. Go for extra RAM. you cannot go wrong putting 16GB in your laptop.

Make sure you get a solid state hard drive. Solid state is so much faster than traditional HDD. The difference is night and day.

Other than that, spend your money on a comfortalble chair, or better still, a sit-stand desk. Poker can be long and gruelling and hard on the body if you're not m,oving.

But alas, I'm now heading completely off topic so will stop here!

Regards,
ObbleeXY

Still need to try tools like Icmizer, heard they are hungry tools. Got the SD, but only 8 Gig of RAM but getting by on minor upgrade at the moment. Invested a lot on a chair, shame it dosen't provide a massage while playing ;-) A standing desk would be good, might look at the ones you put on top of the desk. Poker is not very healthy and after a day sitting at work it can be a long grind for maybe over 10 hours more in another chair!

Thanks for the tips. :)

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Intel7. 64gb ddr4. 250gb or more. Research the video for what's best and definitely dual monitors.
Dan'O

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I say from 200 to 400. When you win as much as you spent , it will feel good.

NUGGEETTEE

NUGGEETTEE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think you need to spend money on laptop, build a bankroll first and then splurge. A regular old laptop or phone will be fine

Julthefreak

Julthefreak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I like to play computer games, I know a little about hardware and software. For a simple application like Pokerstars, you don't really need anything special. I could well imagine that you already have a poker laptop but are just not happy with it. In that case I would recommend you to simply reset it. (Don't forget to back up your data beforehand.) If you don't have one yet, a used laptop will certainly do. To be honest, that's enough for playing poker and for office tasks or surfing. If you really want a fixed laptop, make sure that it has an SSD and at least one i5 processor. 4+ GB of RAM should also be sufficient. Of course, more is always possible. A laptop with such konfigs should not cost you 400 €. Probably even uses half.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This year I updated my hardware, the old laptop served faithfully for almost 9 years, now I use a desktop computer with a huge monitor, everything works.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I paid 400 euros and got myself new pretty decent one.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A standing desk would be good, might look at the ones you put on top of the desk. Poker is not very healthy and after a day sitting at work it can be a long grind for maybe over 10 hours more in another chair!
:)

I highly recommend the Varidesk 48" (I am in no way affiliated with that company)... but I've tried three different sit/stand desks and they're the bomb. It sits on top of your desk. Has an elevated bit for your monitors (2 x 28" fit easily) and is so easy to raise/lower. Hard to go wrong. (But take it slowly. You need to build up stamina).

But definitely good for poker. Especially if you're getting tired. Standing up is refreshing and then you can lean in a bit closer to the screens.

Pics are rubbish, but you get the gist...

Regards,
ObbleeXY

Attachments

• IMG_20201103_202403932.jpg
    IMG_20201103_202403932.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20201103_202442658.jpg
    IMG_20201103_202442658.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
C

carborun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're serious investing in a machine, build a desktop for 500-700$( or you can spend an extra 100-200 for a prebuilt) It will last much longer, be better bang for your buck, be easier to maintain, fix, upgrade, and be easier to set up multiple monitors. Plus you now have a dedicated space for playing and getting in the zone.

I know you asked about a laptop specifically which is why I would like to mention that on a laptop you might play 4 tables max. If you're only going to be playing two or less get a good smart phone and install team viewer and you will be able to play two tables wherever you want no problem via connecting to your desktop.

If you reallyyy want the laptop, and good quality, you're going to really have to hunt for a deal if you want the same power as a 700$ desktop, because you'll generally be paying 400-500 more for the same level and quality of machine.

If I were to invest in a laptop for poker alone, and I wouldn't, I would probably spend around $500 or try to get a used one for less.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it might be important to mention what country we are referring to when suggesting HOW MUCH does it cost (because this will fluctuate significantly).
Instead, how about "What system requirements are needed these days from a computer if we're hoping to use it for poker" (and then can expand on that to include what else we might have running on our computers at same time... ie. PokerTracker/HEM, etc.).

For myself, I need a computer that will run multiple sites at the same time with up to ~18tables running & PokerTracker. (I like to play on 3 to 5 different sites at the same time when playing MTT's). PokerTracker has always seemed like a pretty significant resource hog for me.

Also, these days it's difficult to say if pokerstars is one of the sites you're playing on. AuroraGraphics seem to be messing with a lot of player's computer setups... even those who are running fairly modern machines with stuff like i5 CPU, 16GB Ram, and decent GPU's too. Personally I've never needed a dedicated graphics card for playing online poker... but now with Aurora I think it's a must .. sigh :(

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My laptop is an £800 one with dedicated graphics card and decent cpu. I don't think it is necessary to have a laptop like this for playing poker, unless you will be running renders or editing photo or videos.
Pokerstars does seem to be quite intensive for what it is, but still not worth a dedicated gpu or particularly beefy cpu.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I highly recommend the Varidesk 48" (I am in no way affiliated with that company)... but I've tried three different sit/stand desks and they're the bomb. It sits on top of your desk. Has an elevated bit for your monitors (2 x 28" fit easily) and is so easy to raise/lower. Hard to go wrong. (But take it slowly. You need to build up stamina).

But definitely good for poker. Especially if you're getting tired. Standing up is refreshing and then you can lean in a bit closer to the screens.

Pics are rubbish, but you get the gist...

Regards,
ObbleeXY

Looks like a good setup. They are expensive, but Kate, one of the pro's on the site has also highly recommended standing desks. I was reading an article and it did not really promote calorie loss but did say it was quite good for posture but of course it is quite easy to pace back and forth to get some form of exercise with a standing setup. Also as you say if you are getting tired this also really helps. The model you have recommended is about £350 in the UK. I spent a lot on a good chair not long ago but going to keep this on my radar.

Thanks again

Pjokay

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're serious investing in a machine, build a desktop for 500-700$( or you can spend an extra 100-200 for a prebuilt) It will last much longer, be better bang for your buck, be easier to maintain, fix, upgrade, and be easier to set up multiple monitors. Plus you now have a dedicated space for playing and getting in the zone.

I know you asked about a laptop specifically which is why I would like to mention that on a laptop you might play 4 tables max. If you're only going to be playing two or less get a good smart phone and install team viewer and you will be able to play two tables wherever you want no problem via connecting to your desktop.

If you reallyyy want the laptop, and good quality, you're going to really have to hunt for a deal if you want the same power as a 700$ desktop, because you'll generally be paying 400-500 more for the same level and quality of machine.

If I were to invest in a laptop for poker alone, and I wouldn't, I would probably spend around $500 or try to get a used one for less.

I know what you mean about upgradability although modern laptops come now with such high end CPU's, good separate graphics cards and normally up to 64 Gig RAM they should last long time. If I had a stationary setup I would go for a desktop PC but sometimes house sit my folks place or like the extra mobility with a laptop taking it elsewhere. When I am mine I dual screen in addition to my laptop screen. But as you say it is a lot more for the same spec latop.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it might be important to mention what country we are referring to when suggesting HOW MUCH does it cost (because this will fluctuate significantly).
Instead, how about "What system requirements are needed these days from a computer if we're hoping to use it for poker" (and then can expand on that to include what else we might have running on our computers at same time... ie. PokerTracker/HEM, etc.).

For myself, I need a computer that will run multiple sites at the same time with up to ~18tables running & PokerTracker. (I like to play on 3 to 5 different sites at the same time when playing MTT's). PokerTracker has always seemed like a pretty significant resource hog for me.

Also, these days it's difficult to say if Pokerstars is one of the sites you're playing on. AuroraGraphics seem to be messing with a lot of player's computer setups... even those who are running fairly modern machines with stuff like i5 CPU, 16GB Ram, and decent GPU's too. Personally I've never needed a dedicated graphics card for playing online poker... but now with Aurora I think it's a must .. sigh :(

Indeed specs is a much better criteria, but think I was partly trying to justify to myself the expense of an expensive laptop. Nothing worse tan a laptop or PC crashing in a game. I was running an old i7 but that was struggling. I now have a newer 8th gen i5 that is coping better so now waiting to see how that copes but if purchasing a new one will go with at least a 9th gen i7 processor as minimum.

Wow 18 tables is a massive feat! I struggle with 4. I find it hard to follow all the hands everyone is playing and hand actions when going much over this. Does this amount not affect your ability to make more complex decisions in hands? Do you play multiple buyins levels when playing this money or to lower ones where its a more ABC? Obv this goes off my original question and please ignore if you find it intrusive, just interested in the affect and of playing that many at once as I cannot. Wish I could as touneys are so long and great way to get the volume in.

Good luck at the tables.

N

Northnorth123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have a touch screen dell lapper, i am on it now, it cost around 1k

P

pvenditto88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on if you're going to multi table and how many tables you play at a time.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have a touch screen dell lapper, i am on it now, it cost around 1k

Yeah one thousand if dollars or pounds is quite a bit. That's the kind of range or above I was looking at. But you pay a lot more for small jumps in graphics cards. I am have currently got a slightly newer laptop that is fairing a lot better but have not have been playing that many tables recently. Need to give t a proper push. But noticed the poker clients have got hungrier and hungrier. I think the cheaper end laptops will have a lot less lifespan for these games.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much

Most online poker programs do not require too much in the way of computing power. Just get a real low cost laptop and put the extra in your bankroll!! Lol

Z

Stay Safe

rusyamingazov

rusyamingazov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spend about 100$ in online poker, but then i won 400$ and played them. and sometimes i won in freerolls some money

Kenad_MNE

Kenad_MNE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for mine I paid 750 $, works perfectly fine for several years now

mardasenia

mardasenia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why throw in big money to open a poker client, and several tables, I think you don't need a computer of the latest model !!!

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would invest a lot more why I like to play games and the laptop should be a strong powerful fast