How much $ do you invest in your online bankroll?

S

Shesin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just curious...not trying to pry too personally into information for those that don't want to get it. I'm trying to see if I'm being "too stingy" with my money

I recently opened $50... lost it. put $50 back in..doubled it.. cashed out 50...doubled it again...cashed out 50 again. So now I have $50 of "money that I won" online. I keep telling myself that if I lose it that I shouldn't put more money back online. Am I being too critical of my winnings?

I know it has to do with can I afford it,, the answer is yes..but I don't want to "sink" money into an online hobby

S

Shesin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well "money sink" may have been the wrong wording. I've tripled my buy in... so that's good. But re-investing seems a little scary to me seeing as how I worked so hard to do what I've done buy playing Micro tables and tournies. Was just trying to get an idea of what other people have seen over time by reinvesting and whatnot

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try the "Articles" tab at the top of this very page.

There is an article called Building Your Online Poker Bankroll which contains sound advice.

Oh, and don`t gamble with money you can`t afford to lose. As long as you always stick to that principle, you`ll be ok.

JeeDub84

JeeDub84

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest that you follow a double half rule shesin. This means that every time you double your bankroll you take out half of your profits. This will allow you to gain profit while building your online bankroll. So if you start with $50 and double to $100 you would take out $25 and have $75 left in your account. The same goes when you double to $150 you would take out $33.50 and be left with $108.50. Hope you give this a try and I hope it works out for you.

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shesin, it's possible to build up a 4-figure bankroll from nothing even by grinding it out at low limit games. I started out with $40 from freeroll winnings at Absolute and Stars a little over 18 months ago, built that up to a a couple of hundred in a couple of months, then took advantage of a free bankroll deal at Party - and have never looked back.

Don't be afraid to do searches for some easy bonuses here (Party and Empire, plus some 5x Primas come to mind), and build both your bankroll and your profits up quickly.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at titan last month i deposited $20 and used Chris Ferg.'s bankroll management tips and turned it into $200 in about 2-3 weeks, going from the .01/.02 tables all the way up to the .10/.25 tables (not that that is exceptionall high......)

B

BigFish007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone should play at their level. Deposit what is comfortable for you. If $50 works - great!

I started playing online poker at the beginning of 2001 when there was mostly play money tables. You had to wait for 45 mins to get a sit n go filled....can you believe that.

After 6 months to a year I finally deposited $100 bucks using a seperate online bank account.

I played mostly ring games and a few sit n goes. My stack went up and down...then right down to ZERO. I said I wouldn't deposit more money. That I should be able to turn it around. From zero, you say? Yes, from zero.

Freeroll mania. That's what I did. I placed in the top 10 in several 2000 players freerolls that gave me a few bucks. I entered a $1 tourny and came in 2nd for $163. Not much I know but it sure felt good. Well actually I was rather pissed off that I didn't beat the guy heads up, but that is another story.

I have devoted a lot of time to sit n goes now. I play on 3 different sites. $5, $10 and $20 tournies. I am up overall about $2500 since I started. Not big money but it works for me.

I have been down to zero twice.

My advice... (take it for what its worth)

Don't just reach into your pocket for another 50 bucks, try to use some of your skill and knowledge. Take a stab at the freerolls. Who knows you may win $7 and turn it into $1000...

Good luck! :hello:

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management