How to identify a bot on a table?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bot is the one doing all the winning 🤖.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would love to know this. There’s a sote I play a lot of free rolls on amd I keep thinking there are a bunch. I cant prove it so I wont mention the name but I can almost tell or maybe Im just trippin…
Watch out for MattRyder at pokerstars. Pretty sure he’s a bot - doesn’t play like any human being I’ve ever played against. 🤪🤪

R

rocket71ron

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't see programmers wasting their bot on a freeroll.
Likely not the problem.
Some hand outcomes are predictable if you play the program enough.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to talk, ask a lot of questions, a lot. If he doesn't respond, it's almost certain.
Not sure about that, only because I very seldom get involved in conversation. I normally turn it off. Rather concentrate on my game.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how.
Does anybody know?
Is it possible to identify a bot?
No idea, also how can you tell if two players are (for lack of a better word) cheating together.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
where did I read about this that new bots are talking in a chat and answering questions😁
and if you seriously can't determine if it's a bot or not, I don't think there are many bots, it's unlikely to get on the table with a bot
We are being lied to all the time.
And I'm just like you, without knowing a way out yet.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no idea, but if everyone says gl at the beginning it would eliminate the bots i think, maybe not, who knows??
steve, I get your point, sometimes I try to identify some bots in the tables and I do exactly this, start talking to them and believe me, most of the times do not respond and get in the table just to eliminate everybody around no matter how good their hands are. And it is not the variant of the game lol.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok so i am a bot? I'm never ever responding to anyone. I simply don't care enough for others to answer anything.

I think, considering websites have to design boxes to tick or sentences to determine or click photos away it's getting more and more difficult to determine bots. If they can fill out full forms and only a straight line movement could catch them out, then I'm pretty sure they can have certain triggering words/sentences to make a conversation🤔
We are screwed kkkk.
I really don't know a solution yet.

Nokaut men 1997

Nokaut men 1997

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
He is never absent and never sleeps at the table.
He doesn't go to pee during breaks.
They say that the grass is disgusting and that it never blows. ;)

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure about that, only because I very seldom get involved in conversation. I normally turn it off. Rather concentrate on my game.
I understand your decision. But we are in the quest to solve this injustice.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think only poker rooms can do it, we are only mortals to see that :p

apLike

apLike

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it's impossible, it's very hard to figure out the bot

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't know how.
Does anybody know?
Is it possible to identify a bot?
You have some good answers here Rob..about 15% are on point. I made a few posts about this earlier..read up on "Pluribus."
To identify a bot and possibly go further to identify its signature you should seek out an actual bot..ie U of Alberta Computer Games Research group to start and play. Make/Take notes or record the game as you're playing and use your judgment. If you play chess or Go, ditto. Beyond that, learn the basics of bot programming..and beyond that ..learn how to play poker to the best of your ability! Good luck.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great thread. These deserves a hole section at cardschat, like "INTEGRITY/SECURITY ZONE" of the poker sites.
I think the sites should have a button to alert the security system of the sites at the suspicious plays and players, to then can check suspicious actions and calls fo them to identify BOT and also cheaters.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wouldn't say engage them in chat. Some players (like me) just like to keep the chat off, so you might falsely accuse someone of being a bot. Players that I played against (and lost a a ton of money to) that turned out to be bots (and were eventually removed from the site) always got there no matter what their hand was, and played 24hr a day at multiple tables, stuff like that.

lucayam

lucayam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I have no idea.
I don't think there is a way, honestly...

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you refer to cardchat games then this shouldn't be too hard :unsure:
I hope I had a screenshot but I remember months ago when there're was a technical problem with one of our monthly 200$ CC tourney, so we were around 40 players only joined. There were couple players with weird same names if I remember correctly. Other than that, can you name some of them bots on current's ongoing game?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just as God gives you a guardian angel, so they also give you a bot at the poker table. How do you realize that it is a bot? Well as soon as you make an opening bet he makes you 3 Bet, that has happened to me lately at the poker table where I was playing and I realized that the player, who is a bot because when I did not enter to play in the hands He does not play neither, he does not get involved in any bet, as soon as I entered, I open it, he returns with the same thing, I write to him, I launch rockets, paper... he does not respond or react, so I noticed them.(y)
Perhaps he was just isolating you? Maybe he felt he identified something he could take advantage of? IF you do think it's a bot, why not start 4-betting light... or tighten up your opening ranges?
A few years ago on partypoker, I'd often come up against BOTS and they'd be playing at micro/low stakes (cash game). How did I know they were bots.... good question. I suspected they were as the playing style of a few of them was very Very similar (Maybe it was a multi-accounter? ... maybe they were just playing similarly?). At first I found it a bit frustrating... they were super aggro. Then after awhile I looked forward to seeing them.
There'd be many names joining the player pool (15 - to - 20?).... & they'd all seem to be solid, AGGRO, players. Then they'd all disappear... around the same time.
Then I'd notice another dozen or more players all joining at the same time, all of them seeming to be good players. Also they would all have zero tournament play (or maybe just a couple games, played at very low limit).
Was it just a coincidence that a handful of players would all leave the player pool... and then a couple days later another bunch of players joins the player pool, all names I hadn't recognized (I keep diligent notes).. & it'd be the same for them... all playing solid, with an especially aggro preflop strategy, often a more predictable postflop play & with next to zero MTT's played... and if 1 or 2 played, they'd be at micro games and were new accounts.

Maybe it was a promotion in some part of the world? Maybe it was a bunch of players from Pokerstars deciding to join up at Partypoker (perhaps they joined around the same time due to a promo in their region... or some marketing/advertising campaign. Either way, I was suspicious.

Around that time (or shortly after) I received a refund to my account from Partypoker (a very small amount), from money compensated from Bots that were playing in the games I was in. After that, they disappeared from the site & I no longer saw what had seemed like small groups of players joining to the site (hey it could've been one or two guys, each with 10 bots... < probably much more likely than 20 separate humans each with 1 bot)

I haven't noticed it since then (or at least not recently). But because of this, I do prefer a site to allow tracking software (PT4, HEM). When you see the numbers right in your face, and you can compare with others in the player pool, it would/could help to identify them.

tldr:
I know I have encountered some Bots in micro stakes cash games... I've even received a very small refund. I don't think there's any in the games I play today.
In the games I play in I'd estimate that 2/3 of the players don't have their chat displayed. In most of the Z00M, FastForward, Rush&Cash, tables, a large portion of the player pool is 4-tabling those games... they don't have much time to chat even if they wanted to (trust me, I know... because I chat on occasionally on those tables LOL)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I hope I had a screenshot but I remember months ago when there're was a technical problem with one of our monthly 200$ CC tourney, so we were around 40 players only joined. There were couple players with weird same names if I remember correctly. Other than that, can you name some of them bots on current's ongoing game?
Technically all thieves qualify as bots right? Atleast i've spotted 2 so far - sadly they both were unfortunate to escape my table before i'd have eliminated them ...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No avatar and a username which reads like a serial number always makes me pretty antsy ...
I'd be more concerned with the opposite. I don't think they'd be quite that transparent. I'd be more concerned with the guy that has a username like "I'm a Bot"... or "I Bot your Mom"

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Technically all thieves qualify as bots right? Atleast i've spotted 2 so far - sadly they both were unfortunate to escape my table before i'd have eliminated them ...

Um... No. Actually that is incorrect.
A bot is a computer programmed player.. one that can play without human intervention. A thief or cheater is a thief... or a cheater.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Um... No. Actually that is incorrect.
A bot is a computer programmed player. A thief or cheater is a thief... or a cheater.
Point is still the same as by the end of the day you are probably trying to get rid of them right ...
And it probably dont matter is it bot or thief since they play the same way ...