How do you prepare for an Online Poker session?

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Before the tournament, I eat, sleep and then settles his cat Marquis, otherwise there is a problem with the game, during the breaks, when I reach, juice or milk.

R

Riversalmon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually pour myself a coffee, take a hit from my bong and get comfortable.

N

NUTZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the wifey is going to watch my hell spawn,
i GET my LAPTOP ,cigs. my headphones , my mini cooler go outside under my deck right infront of my sliding glass door , pick a few podcast (usually, THE NINE CLUB, JRE , KING AND THE STING, BERT K. HOT BOXING WITH MIKE TYSON , TFATK ETC ETC) and start the grind

oh, and get my bug off, for these freaking gnats tht somehow always bite my freaking hands tht i never see or feel until after the fact.

if im not outside , im in my kitchen or living room

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bathe, eate, fix my room to have a nice atmosphere, and prepare good music to listen to while playing.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started doing this thing where I deal hands to myself with an actual deck of cards and I play different board textures combined with different hands. It takes a bit of imagination but I put myself in difficult situations and think about the lines to take and how it’ll branch out into future streets. Just doing it for 5-10 minutes helps me get into the fkin zone.

Vlad535_100

Vlad535_100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good to play after a good day at work. All in, don't get caught.

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to prepare to play till morning

I’m a night owl for one and since I’ve been living in Southeast Asia for the last year the best tournaments start at 11 pm or midnightish.

So I’m usually fed or and grab a few snacks to munch on while I’m playing as I will be playing until the sunrises or longer if the tournament runs deep for me.

Due to the time I try to think ahead to the morning to make sure I won’t be to sleepy and crash half way through a tournament.

I can’t say it always works out for me but if I’m tired beforehand I try not to play because I know I could be grinding for 10 hours

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First I do my poker prayer:

Our Father, which art on the button
Luck be thy name.
Thy "All In" come.
Thy bluff be done,
Online as it is in Vegas.
Give us this day our stack of chips,
And forgive us our bad calls,
As we forgive those who shove against us.
And lead us not into traps,
But, deliver us from donks.
For thine is the fold, and the call, and the raise.
For ever and ever. Amen

Then I watch some of the best Tom Dwan bluffs to get in the right mood and finally visualize myself sucking out on every river.

Lol.

"What's the difference between poker room and a church? In poker room they do mean it when they pray."

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I want you to share/describe is :

what do you do? like what do you do you just arrive or get up and start playingor you get up prepare the day leave all responsabilities ready for no interruptions later

do you eat before or after or in between session ?

and for the last in what situation do you think you play better or you believe you were at your top level and getting the best results?

For me poker its the 2nd job.
After i come back from the real job i take a power nap of 60-90 minutes. After this nap , i go to gym. When i'm back i take a healthy meal , i grab a bottle of water and i start my session.
I play better in days on not tired. In these days usually i stop session after 90 minutes.
Have a great day
I wake up, do exercises, meditate, study, lunch and start playing. During the grind I usually eat some fruit.

- Meditate 10 min before the game starts;
- Turn off my cellphone, tv and social medias;
- Check if the internet connection is ok;
- Play!

|I run the treadmill for 22 minutes and shower. I take my nootropic herbs, grab some Kratom and coffee.

When I know I'll have an all-day poker, I take a healthy breakfast, my favorite meal of the day, to make me happy and mentally in shape,.

I tell my gf to answer every phone call we may receive and tell that I'll call back another day if the phone call is for me, unless emergency.

I go to our bedroom and close the door to not hear a single sound.

Also, my gf is preparing my meal for 2 of my breaks... Thanks gf :)

LOL you guys are sooo funny.

Don't forget the Hunter Thompsons list for Las Vegas.

3093c6db0fa49aecc7b5dff531438e05.jpg

The best way to start a poker session is to start it with iQ=120 or higher. And to have such iQ level you have to study all of your life, read/listen books and watch educational videos. Poker is a simple game, even a stupid one. Calculations based on 52 cards are for babies, if you need some special mood to understand psycho types of your opponents and to calculate your odds, then it's better to quit playing poker. With all the articles out there, even a child can understand how to play poker well after 2 days of watching the lessons, and there is no need for peanuts, turned off phones, showers, special mood or music to do that. By doing such preparations you're lying to yourself the same way like if you're probably keeping fingers crossed or praying during the deal...

I've played 12 tables at single 24" monitor in the garage, standing up with no chair around and 2 working cnc machines around making loud noise. Was I prepared for this? Nope, I was cutting metal with plasma cutter and decided to have a break and see what's going on at the tables, and suddenly opened 6 cash tables, 2 MTTs and 4 freerolls, just because I've trippled up at first 2 cash tables during first few minutes and things went really smooth that day. Was I prepared for that? LOL I remember in 2013 I had a 18 hour long poker session which has started when I woke up and ended with +1700 dollars at NL50 tables, during these 18 hours I was drinking water and eat 2 apples, had no shower, once was in the toilet. Couldn't leave those money giving donks at the tables for a single minute.

What you're doing there - meditation.. . eating before the game... and so on... You're just preparing yourself for the loss. Calming yourself down to reduce the influence of tilt on your decisions. Instead of doing this, try to use your brain each moment of time while you're doing something, for example when you're playing poker. Can you ignite the fuel of your brain activity to high level and play atleast 6 tables making smart decisions and having tilt as a ally at your side?

Your mental state depends on sequences of your thoughts and goals set, and ofc snaks, showers and girls are not related to poker at all. Girlfriend is good after the session, not during it and not for preparing snaks or answering the phone lol... If you can't answer the phone and talk for several minutes having 6-12 tables under control, then think again - maybe you can, but you're skared to make such decision, cause you falsely believe that you will fail and it will ruin something. Don't be scare to try, Life is too short to play boring poker and to live like a robosapiense. You know, 100 year life is 24*365*100 = 876K hours. 30% is sleep time, some time has passed already, you also have to eat/sex/work and do other things, and will you live to 100 years? So if 876K hours is our chip stack, try to think - how much more chips have you got left? Cause ante is ticking every second... If your plan was to play 100K hands in poker, then how much lifetime will you waste by playing these hands at a single table, and lol preparing for this? I'm not a poker reg anymore, and for past several years I only play poker duing several more things, like working and studying plus poker at the same time, cause I don't feel like one thing is ruining another.

Good luck there, with your stack of life hours.