How Do You Handle The Speed Of Online Poker?

K

Kehzi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I often find myself making impulsive decisions due to having very limited time to act in online poker.

Is there anything which can be done to adapt to this or is it just a matter of practice?

J

Jrobbz10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing on different platforms lately with a 12 second time bank and have had the same issue. When I first started playing online I had time to do many of the equations GTO players like to use. Since I began playing on this new platform I have been using much more exploitative play and using more simplified math stuff like pot odds and SPR. I never used to review hands that much before, but after starting on this new platform I have to review hands often in order to find more exploitative plays against opponents I see more often.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally like the faster pace.

I agree that calculations give you a good edge, and you shouldn't be snap calling. But It drives me crazy when you have the same player taking all day every hand. You don't need all day. You know what you have and if it is good or not within a few seconds. If you need to run numbers on every hand, you are trying to play something other than poker. I mean how hard is it to quickly figure your numbers close enough to raise, call, or get out of the way.
As the game progresses, you already know how many players where dealt to. (That changes only occasionally as they are dropped out or added to the table, not every hand). You know how many people are still in the hand and should already have a very good idea of how many outs you have. (You can memorize these numbers) so that leaves you with pot odds and implied odds. How long does that take to keep track as the pot grows.

Sorry, this sounds more harsh than intended.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Practice, practice, practice. The more you play, the more comfortable you will be with making quick decisions.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Use the full extent of time bank to slow the game down and not rush.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi kehzi. For me, I'm only playing one site, and I only play 2 tables at a time. I like a MTT and cash table together. I been doing that for awhile, so I got used to it. Matter of fact, it's a little slow, and I'm like David Gibson about that one player who needs to run the clock down every hand. But that's part of poker too. GL all

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Practice, play more and in the future you will make faster decisions !!

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
For me it doesn't matter whether the game is slow or fast, but I can understand that if you were used to playing a little slower, this fast game brings you something out of the usual game. I agree you don't need a lot of time to know if you fold a hand preflop or not but the site offered the time and you can use it. I've played impulsively myself for a long time and I can't say whether this affected my game for the worse, but everyone has their own method of how they like to play and that is the most important thing that you can play as you like to do it. However, if you would like to play slower but the poker site does not allow this, then you have no choice but to either get used to it or to look for another poker site where you are allowed to. Everything takes time and you can get used to everything. I also don't think that you play better or worse when you have more or less time because with both variants you will always have bad luck and lose or luck and you win.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely a matter of practice. But its also important to remember, that you have a time bank. So if you have a particularly difficult decision in a big pot, then by all means use it. One of my biggest leaks in the beginning was to make every decision in seconds and not graduate my pace based on, how difficult it was.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That you play the number of tables with which you feel 100% comfortable is ideal, in any case if you play cash tables try the fast format ones so you can get used to quick decisions:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you just need to play the number of tables at which the optimal game will be. If you play a lot of tables, then you may not have time to play correctly.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am pretty used to it, if you try to play more and more tables at once u will improve your decision making in a faster time and most of the time when u multi-table ur folding hands

J

JimTheBadger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think everyone gets use to it at their own speed. The more you study and learn the easier you will be able to make decisions. Eventually I went from one table to sometimes six at a time. I wish I could say it happened over night but it took me time.
The more you study and play the easier it will become.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think ahead. Plan out what your going to do next before it’s your turn

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, the more you play online making "quick" decisions will become easier. You'll know what to look for in pre-flop raisers so to put them on a hand within 3 to 1, folding idiot hands like AJos, squeezing limpers in the sb; stuff like that.

A

adjacentcape1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously practice will make a difference, because more and more practice will mean that you've seen many different types of boards that can help you make decisions faster, but other than playing more hands, you can also simplify your calculations to consider less variables.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online poker is how I first learned and its really the only poker I know. I would think it best to just play one table for now and use the time that other people take as part of your thinking time. Like any new thing, it will just take a bit of time for you to get comfortable.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Personally, I often find myself making impulsive decisions due to having very limited time to act in online poker.

Is there anything which can be done to adapt to this or is it just a matter of practice?

Hi
It’s a matter of practice
Just play one table to start with and later you will be able to play 2 and 3 tables at a time too…
Most importantly you have to enjoy the game rather than get stressed.

Have fun

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play on one table and try to focus as much possible. I still struggle tourneys with regular time + time bank less than 15 secs. It is difficult to follow the action and make good decisions.

H

hyrulewarrior85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

For me I like to play at 1 table at a time. I focus better even though it can get extremely slow at times. Hope this helps.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no problems with the speed of the game, especially that I usually play on just one table.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As a matter of practice, make it a rule to hit up to 5 before each button press.

Y

yago541

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is cyclical and has several variables, speed is perhaps the least of your concerns

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands