How do u build freeroll bankroll?

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering if it is even possible to build a bankroll outta freeroll tournaments. I’m my eyes now I see that, if u good enough to place first in a freeroll then one wouldn’t need to be playing in freerolls besides complete noobs. I am currently working on the Chris Ferguson 0-10000 challenge and figure when I am done it, I will be taking poker to the next level and walking away from work...right now I am at .11 cents....

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not easy because there are so many loose players that go all in with any 2 cards and get lucky. It doesn't happen in cards chat games luckily but in most other freerolls you will find a lot of cowboys, I mean multiple all ins on one single hand with terrible hands winning big pots. You may have A K and loose to 9 7 or any other crappy hand, it happens constantly. So good luck on your endeavor it will be an uphill battle, trust me on that.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not easy because there are so many loose players who go all-in with any 2 cards and get lucky. Luckily, this doesn't happen in card chat games, but in most other freerolls you'll find a lot of cowboys, I mean a lot of all-in in one hand with terrible hands winning big pots. You can have AK and lose to 9 7 or any other bad hand, it happens all the time. So, good luck in your effort, it will be an uphill battle, believe me. [/QOTE]

Of course it happens in free card chat, all the time, more and more is becoming bingo, and it also happens in cash games, bingo players are everywhere, the way is to try to adapt to their game, but they are so unpredictable.

Thoughts, who is more wrong, the guy who goes all-in for 100bb with AA or me who calls with AQ thinking it doesn't make any sense for the guy to all-in these with top-range hands?

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not easy because there are so many loose players who go all-in with any 2 cards and get lucky. Luckily, this doesn't happen in card chat games, but in most other freerolls you'll find a lot of cowboys, I mean a lot of all-in in one hand with terrible hands winning big pots. You can have AK and lose to 9 7 or any other bad hand, it happens all the time. So, good luck in your effort, it will be an uphill battle, believe me. [/QOTE]

Of course it happens in free card chat, all the time, more and more is becoming bingo, and it also happens in cash games, bingo players are everywhere, the way is to try to adapt to their game, but they are so unpredictable.

Thoughts, who is more wrong, the guy who goes all-in for 100bb with AA or me who calls with AQ thinking it doesn't make any sense for the guy to all-in these with top-range hands?
I don't agree that it happens very often at cardschat games so we will have to agree to disagree. There are loose players everywhere but there is no comparing freerolls to regular pokerstars tourneys or cash games. People just are not afraid because they are playing FREE so they are so much looser. I don't understand your last point about the AA vs. AQ hand it doesn't have any validity to this discussion.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is possible and in fact it is not difficult. It all depends on your patience. In three months, I created a bankroll of almost $ 200, and it wasn't difficult. I think I could make a $ 1,000 bankroll in a year.

L

luckyrnmd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately it goes so much more hard then 2-3 years ago. Win few cents/dollars and trying to win in 1$ tournament.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is extremely possible and a lot of cards chat players on here built their bankroll with freerolls. I've played freerolls before and made some chump change but I honestly rather deposit money whenever I get paid from work because freerolls bore me to death.

With freeroll tournaments there are no financial or psychological consequence because it is FREE. So therefore if you go all in with a shitty hand and you hit and get lucky you can move up and cash out until late registration is up. If you get eliminated no worries again it's FREE so you can get right back in as long as late registration is still open. People tighten up a bit when you start climbing the stakes because you're really trying to make real money.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Of course, it is possible to build your bankroll by playing freerolls, you can even make a living from it, you just have to have discipline when playing. In an interview Chris Moorman said that he started playing only with freerolls

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Will you quit your job? And if there are bad days and you lose everything, or there will be spending on life and nothing will remain. Poker is fun after work. Otherwise, you can end up on the street. Yes! You can get funds for the game from the freeroll. Everyone knows about it and so many do. This is beneficial because you do not have to invest personal funds.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many CC members have gone from rags to riches. It’s a tough battle but doable.
It takes a lot of time, patience, study and some luck, but learning to be a good player will have you winning freerolls regularly, it’s all the next levels that start getting tougher and require more time and study.
Don’t quit your day job;)

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in freerolls you can apply what you are learning, so you do not spend money and you win little by little

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just wondering if it is even possible to build a bankroll outta freeroll tournaments. I’m my eyes now I see that, if u good enough to place first in a freeroll then one wouldn’t need to be playing in freerolls besides complete noobs. I am currently working on the Chris Ferguson 0-10000 challenge and figure when I am done it, I will be taking poker to the next level and walking away from work...right now I am at .11 cents....

Just realize that the hardest part of this challenge is the beginning part of it... it is very difficult to get started. I was quite fortunate, once I had won a little more than 2 dollars I played a 2.20 tournament with my winnings and took 2nd place in it, winning about 175 if I recall properly... I'm currently 1/8'th of the way to the 10K goal at around 1250 bankroll, and literally all it will take is one big score... but that's not how I think about it, I realize that the most important part of the challenge is proper bankroll management, so I only "invest" 2% maximum in any single tournament... but at 1250 this means I can play the 22's and in a series such as the OSS on ACR, a 22 can pay almost enough to get me to 10K if I win one... but usually I still just grind my preferred 6.60's because the truth is, I don't play to get rich, I play just because I love to play poker, and my "risk of ruin" is even less playing 6.60's... I only need one deep run every 10 or 20 tries to keep my roll going up. It's still possible I could have a streak of 50 tournaments in a row where I just don't cash (2% rule means 50 tries at it) but playing 6.60's with a 1250 roll means I have 200 tries before I bust, and that's almost impossible. Good luck, you must remain patient and realize this challenge could take years to complete, we're not as good as Chris Ferguson is!! (I'm honest with myself about that, ego is a huge negative in this game).

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I affirm that you can build your bankroll with $ 0 by playing freerolls! From my own experience, I can tell you exactly what is possible, just for someone it can work out quickly, and for someone it will take a little more time, but it is possible! You just need to learn the very basics of poker and you already have a chance to build your bankroll through freerolls, train more and the most important thing is patience and you will succeed! Good luck with your endeavors and good luck at the tables!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Yes, it is possible but it takes perseverance and patience.

It also needs to be underlined that I think people here (at CC) are often talking about two different things...building a bankroll using free rolls exclusively...or... building a bankroll starting with free rolls but then using winnings for buy-ins.

Each to his or her own.

That said, the poster is talking about the Chris Ferguson challenge and that was to make $10,000 starting with free rolls, and from his free roll winnings he bought into tourneys. If you have read his write up on the challenge it is interesting as people would see his name and think he was joking around (in the earliest free rolls). He of course states that he was super serious.

That said, I prefer the purist approach. Free rolls and nothing but free rolls to reach your chosen goal with the reward upon reaching the goal to then start buying in. I understand some do not have the time or patience to do so, but that is the path I have taken and I am not deviating from it! What I realized is the grind is truly a mental thing as your options are limited. But, that means your game simply has to stand up to the rigors.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely possible to build up from freerolls, but with only freerolls it could take a long time depending on how many players are in your games.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It also needs to be underlined that I think people here (at CC) are often talking about two different things...building a bankroll using free rolls exclusively...or... building a bankroll starting with free rolls but then using winnings for buy-ins.

Each to his or her own.

You are correct, I did not interpret the original post in this way... OMG Anyone trying this is truly, certifiably insane. LOL (And I mean that in the nicest way possible!) Or, I suppose, they are clearly a masochist... I'm just not into that kind of "pain as pleasure" mindset I guess! I find it far more satisfying to challenge myself by attempting to play with the best players in the world, and to do that, we need a big bankroll because they aren't playing freerolls (and that is no putdown of those of us playing the CardsChat freebies, I constantly admire the high level of play in them at the platinum level with all the CC regs).

Good luck with your challenge DS3... I think I've had nightmares about exactly what you are attempting and I recall waking up in a cold sweat from it. :D

Last edited:
manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had my freeroll up to $17 but it seems wants you get near $10 you can not buy a win and the money disappears very fast.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
since you are here, in this community you should have a boost of bankroll, because you have the opportunity to play in certain tournaments with quite big funds compared to a freeroll :)

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It seems to me the biggest problem with building a bankroll from freerolls is impatience. What I mean is winning a small amount and rushing straight into some game where you don't really have much of a chance because you dom't have much of a stack. Best to keep on building it up slowly until you have a manageable size bankroll

razarach_xD

razarach_xD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it's possible but: it's called bankroll !
I hear a lot of people say: I lost my bankroll... for instance: my bankroll is 50 tickets to tournaments it means that I had/have 50 USD. and I'm playing 1 us tournament.
If I fail to 25 usd, it means either I'l start playing 50 cents tournament or I should be prepared to loose my bankroll... Am I right ?

razarach_xD

razarach_xD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the moment you are building your bankroll so you are not dependable for pure free roll tournaments. For instance with that 11 cents you play all the freerolls as now plus 0.01 USD tournaments... there is a lot of them. If you manage to come to 5 usd, you can start playing 25cents tournaments....
Sky is the limit !

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then you are at the beginning of your road to bankroll. Of course, you can collect a bankroll from freeroll winnings, but it will take a very long time.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just win Baby!! $$$ :star:

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to build a decent Bankroll for playing freeroll, other than playing constantly the freeroll to get familiar with the player regularly playing it and avoid bingo player early stage. You must have a very strict Bankroll management in playing with buy-in.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont mind my bankroll ever,because i dont even use it for cash games or other tourneys.I look at it when i remember.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management