Hands you avoid

J

Jkj19886

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are some of the hands you avoid that are played by most others? for me its face cards with 10 besides j 10 as for some reason that hands works out alot for me

Stasey

Stasey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position and stack size. Some hands are disgusting on early positions, but pretty good to play on CO and BU.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to play junk, off-suited hands.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After last nights platinum freeroll on PS, its KK (Lol) - twice i was sucked out on when in the money - lost to QQ who flopped a Q on turn and then amazingly i lost to QQ again who boarded quads against me lmao.

The hardest buck ive ever earnt on a freeroll - went from 17k chips to nothing in like 6 hands lmao.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In hold'em, hands like JJ, TT, like a pocket pair is a good hand, but in most cases I lost with it.
Now I'm playing omaha hi/lo cash such a hand as A3JK at first glance looks like a very good hand, but in fact very rarely wins.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are some of the hands you avoid that are played by most others? for me its face cards with 10 besides j 10 as for some reason that hands works out alot for me

Why avoid hands? Try your best to play them correctly in each new situation.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KJo early position, early stages, you are going to lose a big pot and always win a small pot

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Q's never pay for me unless they are paired up with a 9 or lower. It makes no sense because I could have QQ and 44 will beat me, but then if I have A-Q, I'll be up against A-K and a K will fall. I just tend to avoid playing QQ or Q with another broadway card because it always back fires on me.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't like KT at all ..but sometimes I play them

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I avoid and do not use a small card in the game, especially if it is off-suit. But still, the range of use of cards depends on many factors.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KJo early position, early stages, you are going to lose a big pot and always win a small pot

100% agree. If someone 3bets you, a LOT of times their hand is going to dominate yours, like AK for example. Then, if the flop comes K84 for example, you've flopped top pair but now what? You're playing a pot out of position and have to effective guess and hope you have the best hand.

Also, you have too many hands to get through to see a flop, especially if it's 8-9 handed. A 6-handed table, it can still get you into trouble.

Low pairs, except when necessary due to low stack.

I almost take the opposite approach here, though it's situational. Low pairs are REALLY good to play when you are deep stacked because of the potential to flop a set and then getting paid off by somebody who overplays top pair on board. So let's say you have pocket 5's, and raise pre-flop and get one caller, and the flop comes 59Q, there's going to be a LOT of times where someone has AQ and will bet for value. Most of the time that will work as they will have the best hand there, but some players get married to these hands and lose a LOT of chips to a set.

Then, let's say you're in a tournament situation, where you are getting short in chips at an aggressive table. Let's say you have 15-20 big blinds and you get dealt 33 in early position. Because you are so shallow here, someone is likely to 3bet (not-all in) or even shove pre-flop, what do you do then? If you raised first, you'll have to determine if you want to play for the rest of your chips against someone whose range doesn't have you in terrific shape. At BEST, you're flipping against two overcards (likely 2 broadway cards) but more likely against an overpair.

Here, if in early position, I'm likely to fold and save those two big blinds for a better spot in a better position. I've seen MTT streamers do this quite a bit and most of the time, they are right for this exact reason. If you want to play for all your chips, be the one applying pressure, not the one reacting to it. Even if you're short stacked, your chips are STILL a weapon if applied in the correct spots.

(My own separate comments) - Hands I avoid are dependent on the situation and the players you're facing. Take AQ, if I'm raising and then someone who plays tight 3bets me, I may fold. Conversely, I may 3bet AQ against an aggressive player who may likely fold to pressure from me. That's an oversimplified example, but shows how a single hand can both be a hand to avoid and a hand to play.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really don't like to play with small pairs, KJ and AT.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think people tend to overplay suited cards or weak suited aces. It might work out sometimes but often they run against better pairs and aces. I saw a lot of players go broke with these kind of hands.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on chip stack and position. If I have those, any 2 cards are playable.

J10 off suit is a hand I see folks play a lot, and not play well.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play with any hand. I have a mindset in poker that you can win with any hand but lose with any hand as well.

Mamkin_Pokerist

Mamkin_Pokerist

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on many factors. But I, like many players, try to avoid garbage hands. Especially the mismatched 72. At the same time, Q9 often gives me a win on the hand. But AA very often fails. Much more often than I would like

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I avoid hands below 10 that are not pairs. Where I am lucky and can develop a good strategy with hands above 10. But this depends a lot on my position during the execution to be performed.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know why, but I don't play pairs below ten very often and it doesn't depend on the positions, especially if it's a bounty tournament and next to you are small ones who push you with anything and then wins, that's why I don't like it.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The funny thing is that I don't like it when a couple comes. The pair is a very strong hand, but I can't work out a certain tactic with the arrival of such a hand. All-in in such cases goes most often, but this is not my style...

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have such hands. I play all the time from time to time, because I think it's stupid to make any comparisons, like, I'm not lucky with some hand, so it will always be like this. This is stupid in my opinion.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it depends on position and stack size. But I generally avoid to play bs like 62o for example :D

J

Justashot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally don’t play any trash hands, but the one I look out for the most is KJ. That hand gets me in trouble more often than not.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands