Grinding Cave Set up

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, folks, I'm moving to a new house soon, and I will be building a grinding cave set up in the basement. I'm currently using a laptop which is slowly giving me issues when I'm multi-tabling or playing poker and zwifting at the same time (Zwift is a virtual world where you can ride a bike (indoors), before you judge me, sometimes I exercise and play poker at the same time when I'm playing a single table.) Anyway - recommendations please:
- Decent laptop or PC - I'm leaning into a gaming PC -
- Microsoft or Apple? (Dell. Mac, or other platforms?)
- Desk? (Whatever it is, it will be adjustable high, so I'm not sitting on my ass all day)
- Chair? (I have some in mind - looking for recommendations
- Monitors - size and numbers (At least two)
- am I missing anything?

Thanks and have fun - PS I'm not a millionaire (yet, pending my serious amateur poker career), so try to stay within reasonable prizes (but feel free to send dream setups as well)

Thanks

PrOKatana

PrOKatana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can give you some advice for a very good laptop, regarding the price , I bought it a month ago and I am extremely happy with it : Laptop Gaming ASUS ROG Strix G , Intel® Core™ i7-9750H , 15.6", Full HD, IPS, 120Hz, 16GB, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't have a lot of advice in this situation other than any computer you buy that can handle your gaming needs will be more than adequate for any poker application. That is, unless your gaming is Pong and your poker is PKR-esque VR cash tables.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like this discussion topic...

I typically work with 2 or 3 large screens (day job supplied), yet I play poker with one medium sized screen. So....I am also contemplating trashing my current set-up for a total re-do.

Disclaimer - this is not because my poker winnings justify it, but just because it is time! I have not upgraded my poker/general use computer or screen or desk/accessories for 8+ years, so I think I can justify a few k for a new set-up.

What kind of set-up could I get for say $3k? (Note- I am not a "gamer", so I do not need a super high-powered computer... at least that is what I am thinking?...) Should I wall mount some screens, or is that dumb? Just looking for thoughts on an ideal set-up if starting from scratch and planning to stick with it in home office for several years.

Thanks for the feedback and continued discussion on this topic!

CheezeWiz

J

jonthor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker control

I'm also moving into a new place I'd like to see how people have set-up their places to be the most comfortable playing online.

Also, I'm thinking of buying a pokercontrol, anyone has used one?

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of set-up could I get for say $3k? (Note- I am not a "gamer", so I do not need a super high-powered computer... at least that is what I am thinking?...) Should I wall mount some screens, or is that dumb? Just looking for thoughts on an ideal set-up if starting from scratch and planning to stick with it in home office for several years.

Thanks for the feedback and continued discussion on this topic!

CheezeWiz

I also debate between monitor setup - wall on at the desk. Mounting on the wall will allow me to sit back or recline and play, but you constantly have to look up. Setting up at the desk level will always have it a the eye level, specially when my desk will have adjustable height.

Still debating between powerful laptop or PC - PC gives me more computing power for a cheaper price, and set up multiple same-size screen. Laptop will have smaller size screen, plus added different (bigger) size screen, but, I can also take the laptop to NJ when I visit my in-laws and play wsop there. Decisions, decisions (Currently play in PA - ACR or pokerstars PA)

rictor99

rictor99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$3K seems overkill for a non-gaming setup. You can get a gaming PC and monitor that will play the fastest games out there for that price.

For poker, I don't think the best money is spent on the PC or monitor. It's probably the chair. Spend $1,000 on a nice mesh office chair that supports your back. Get an ergonomic split keyboard and an ergonomic mouse pad.

One 32" monitor is probably plenty. You can have 3 or 4 windows open fairly large on that. The desktop PC itself can be whatever, but a base Dell business PC would probably be good.

So for $3K, I'd say:

$1K for chair
$100 for ergonomic keyboard
$20 for ergonomic mousepad
$800 for Dell business PC
$600 for 32" monitor.

If you want to spend more, put that extra money into the chair.

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$3K seems overkill for a non-gaming setup.

So for $3K, I'd say:

$1K for chair
$100 for ergonomic keyboard
$20 for ergonomic mousepad
$800 for Dell business PC
$600 for 32" monitor.

If you want to spend more, put that extra money into the chair.

Excellent suggestions, thank you. I may up to $500 for an adjustable desk, where I can either sit or stand. I thought about getting those raised PC stations, but I want the entire desk to be adjustable; I can use it for my regular job as well.