Does anyone use poker tracking tools?

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to use it too when I played more than now, I am just starting up playing again, but I think was easyer to play more tables when you have the HUD.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do you use any additional tools when playing online poker? Lembro-me from a few years ago, the poker tracker was popular. However, I know that these programs are overrated and until Fedor Holz barely marks the opponents with chors and notes. :confusing:
I believe that the majority of professional poker players who play online use tools, so when the room allows, but it is not enough to have the tool, they have to know how to use, as in any profession when you have a good tool and know how to use it, you have a better supply.

M1n1GuN777

M1n1GuN777

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am categorically against such programs. Actually, that's why I think that live poker is much better, and no online services can replace it. Although in fairness I will say that online also has its advantages.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I use (and love) PokerTracker 4! :ninja:

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are playing online I find it to be a necessity. Even if you are a live player and used to calculating the pot odds in your head instantly, and being used to tracking players in your head, other people are using them. If you don't then you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.

There are many reasons you should be using them. The most important is just that if you are playing multiple tables (which most of us will be), and/or if you are playing faster tournaments (turbos, hyper turbos especially) you are going to be playing so many players and all you have to go by is an image, many of which are stock images that you may see on different players. It's just impossible for you to match a player to their tendencies in the same way that you would be able to if you are playing live. You have less cues to help you remember. And if you are multi-tabling you are often going to need to make decisions more quickly and may not be laser focused on any single table.

Just being able to at a glance see how many hands someone is playing, how often they fold, how often they cbet and then give up on the turn, how often they'll 3bet or fold to a 3bet, ow often they fold to a re-steal. That information is invaluable. And if you are not using a HUD everyone else has that information on you while you are playing with a handicap.

JeLeuMic

JeLeuMic

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm, it's complicated but i think they aren't of use because in order for such a program to give you an advantage it would require at least 10.000 hands played with that player or players.
So in the end you would still need to play hands with the other players and go to do a showdown in order to have a strong database.
If you play tournaments it will not help you at all because there are soooo many players and so few hands that go to showdown and that program will not gather enough information in order to give you the best possible result ( check, bet go all in , fold )
If there was such a program it would cost at least 1 million bucks.
It would require a huge database from all the hands played by all the players over a period of time , let's say 1 year.
So in the end it's not worth it. Only if you get such a database.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerTracker has a great HUD if you know how to use it. It's also an invaluable learning source.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bought a year usage of a drive hud 2 however the only site i can use it on as of now is acr as ontario poker rooms all switched and i cant figure out how 2 use it on the new sites.. sucks i have waster $100+

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bought a year usage of a drive hud 2 however the only site i can use it on as of now is acr as ontario poker rooms all switched and i cant figure out how 2 use it on the new sites.. sucks i have waster $100+

Check if the site you want to play is in the drivehud site settings. If the site you want to play is in drop down list. enable and setup DH for the site then apply. After doing that, just reload the poker client and it should work.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I never use any additional instruments other than notes. In my opinion, notes are the most reliable and useful tool.
Good luck.

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker tracker might give slight edge but it's more important for MTTs

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do you use any additional tools when playing online poker? I remember a few years ago the poker tracker was popular. However, I think that these programs are overrated and even Fedor Holz just marks the opponents with colors and notes. :confused:
Of course you should use anything that will help you play a better game. If you can quantify your perceptions better then you may begin to realize how "cause and effect" and "chance" can be addressed statistically. If you don't think I can profile you sufficiently after a certain number of games (maybe vice versa..I don't know your skill set) to determine your card range and anticipate certain plays with Poker Tracker/player notes/experience then you may be surprised. Knowing when you play, what timezone in the world you are, how well you play at certain tables with a certain bankroll..etc... it all adds up.

Just as an edit note, learn PokerStove cold at the very least. It's free and it's useful until you have things memorized. And understand simple things like your "outs" and if your "outs" will give someone else the winning hand..when to fold a straight because you know the other person has a boat. Learn about card location in "bridge and gin". There's lots of stuff but it's got to be fun otherwise it's a grind.

Last edited:
dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The beauty of online poker is that it allows players to use (quite legally) several tools to help them at the tables when they are making decisions. One of the most powerful tools is undoubtedly the tracker. The tracker will have 2 functions: record all lost poker hands as text files and display this information in real time at the poker tables. I don't use the tracker, but I know that there are players who use the tracker. The beauty of the tracker is that it also has a Heads-Up Display (commonly known as a HUD) that will display player information stored in the database in real time.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The beauty of online poker is that it allows players to use (quite legally) several tools to help them at the tables when they are making decisions. One of the most powerful tools is undoubtedly the tracker. The tracker will have 2 functions: record all lost poker hands as text files and display this information in real time at the poker tables. I don't use the tracker, but I know that there are players who use the tracker. The beauty of the tracker is that it also has a Heads-Up Display (commonly known as a HUD) that will display player information stored in the database in real time.

If you play online, a poker database / tracker is a must. If you're not playing with one for some random bad reason, you're missing out for many reasons.

1) Just tracking all of your play alone is SO important to grow as a poker player.
2) The ability to analyze your game, run filters, look and replay hands is key to becoming better.
3) Understanding how to get into advanced meta game play w/ other regulars will improve your game.

I've learned over the years that there are some people who are intimidated by them (I guess they feel overwhelmed), and hence they hate of them. There's some that feign faux integrity claims (this is silly since most sites allow HUDs, as they should), and then there's people that dig in and do the work. <--- these people tend to be winners in poker and life for the exact same reasons.

Drivehud 2 has a free 30 day trial. Drivehud is a long time supporter of cardschat, so any time you have questions, there's localized support here to help as well.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also only take notes, I believe it can be a useful add-on, but at least for now, no.