Depression in poker...

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have one nerves can not stand when the money in the account?:):):) I can quit the game when went to plus, but..if it is negative...money runs out fast ...I'm sure I'm not the only one, many lose in the back and leave because they want fast money ..nerves..how to deal with this ? Jokes like (stop playing) is not necessary.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
read the book Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and I've been in the same position for a very long time and no books help, I need patience but I do not have it

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, The Mental Game of Poker is a good start. We all go through it and we all have problems we have to deal with in life, but I think working out and eating right go a long way towards keeping us in the right place mentally.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know it's cliche but try not to spend more than you're willing to lose. Set a limit for how much u spend in a day/session. Chasing lost money can harm your play. Bad beats, coolers, and suckouts will definitely test ones patience but just hang in there. I know it's easy to said that crap, right? I've been sub-grinding away online for about 10 yrs and patience can be quite elusive. When the beats and coolers get to be too much I stop and do something completely different from poker like just go for a drive, play with the dog or watch a movie. Sounds boring. It's supposed to be. Do some mind-numbing activity and get back at it, maybe even wait til the next day. If that doesn't help watch Rounders and watch someone else have a bad poker time.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to forget about money, and think about the game, but it is not always possible to do

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have one nerves can not stand when the money in the account?:):):) I can quit the game when went to plus, but..if it is negative...money runs out fast ...I'm sure I'm not the only one, many lose in the back and leave because they want fast money ..nerves..how to deal with this ? Jokes like (stop playing) is not necessary.

When i first startet at poker a had that feeling :D
I was constantly watching my bankroll, and if i was up thatday i felt good,
and if i was down i felt bad.

I started to watch a ton of videos on youtube bout my gameplay.
But the best thing i learned was bankroll management and not to
see my bankroll as money i could use to buy something else.

When you see your bankroll, you have to see it as a tool, not as money.
Do NOT deposit money you cant do without in real life.

Bankroll management may be very boring, and you may have to play at
a level you dont find interesting at the moment, but it will make sure that
you can go on for a very long time without going broke, and when you
get comfortable with your own bankroll management you will be able to
play free and without fear of loosing hands, fear of going broke, and then
you will start to break even, and even increase your roll ;)

Good luck to you!

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't invest what you cannot afford to lose, plain and simple. Also don't be afraid to take breaks from time to time, winning or losing. If not at the least to clear your head. When i find myself in a horrible downswing I'll just take a break for a week or 2, and then not feel so bad when I return and.... lose some more... lol.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few months ago I went into a terrible depression to throw 2500 euros at the tables of unibet, I did not want to do anything more than be in bed and sleep, I was 3 days like that until I said I'll get back all that, I do not know how I'll do it but I'm going to do it. I went back to unibet and had a ticket for 10 euros for cash game, I started playing all day until I finished 60 euros up, I played being depressed, but always focused on the game, I played day and I was not always concentrated, until that in 1 week I managed to recover 700 euros, being ****ing depressed but concentrated. What I want to get, is that if it is possible to play poker depressed and that you do well, as long as you are focused

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
playing poker for a living or expecting to make money is not an easy task. I did it for 5 years and during that time i had massive swings. for 3 months i finished in the money in many tourneys and was riding high. My cash game was going good also. however one time i went for 3 months without any major cashing or doing very well at the cash game. the variance can be devastating. the best advice many here have given is bankroll management and dont put in more than you can afford to lose. now if you are suffering from actual depression when losing at poker i would say you need to seek help. dont get yourself in a dark spot. and im not trying to be funny but if it effects you like this maybe you should not be playing poker for money. seek other things online or other hobbies that may interest you.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management as a few before have said.

I struggled with this when I first began to play and tried to maximize my roll by playing above my limits.

Patience will get you a long way but I understand what you mean its hard.

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just don't invest more than you can lose and don't register in a tournament in stakes higher than you can pay and you'll be fine :)

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break

If poker is leaving you depressed, you should take a break from your routine for a little while. It should be enjoyable first and foremost, in my opinion. Maybe it would help to work on your craft more in free games or in lower stakes... I've felt what you're talking about before. I'm still learning but I'm enjoying playing freerolls where I don't have to sweat any losses. My thinking is that if I can win several of those, I can win elsewhere. And it's a fun personal challenge.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
also I do not know lately I'm really bad at poker until pulled away by two weeks to calm down a bit, but I'm back

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management is key. Also taking breaks when tilted and/or on a downswing is also vital. Keeping a journal/log of how you're feeling before and after each session also helps with knowing when you should or shouldn't be playing.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would recommend reading some poker books. It all depends on which games you focus on.
Read psychology books, including poker, this is Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker", there are 2 parts.

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My friend, at times we all go through similar situations, but I think that in those low times is when we should stop session for that day and if it is possible to reflect on what we are doing wrong and how to improve.
Believe me once I lost so much in a session that I reconsidered to continue playing poker, but sometimes what we need is a bit of peace of mind to return to play safely in oneself and of course with a stagnation

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in the back is a very large variance. You need to play well and understand this game, which would be a plus for a long distance.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A series of victories strengthens self-confidence, but the end result is often negative.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The mental game of poker - must read.

I used to hate my life after losing sessions - puts perspective

R

RB89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I feel the same. Anytime I obtain a real bankroll, $2,500 or more I find myself playing games out of my bankroll and depleting what I’ve built. Feels like you got punched in the heart.

G

goOgaaA9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to forget about money, and think about the game, but it is not always possible to do

True, it is not always possible to forget about bad playing, we are all people and have emotions, thats why sometimes our emotions makes bad decisions in poker...:D

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's an important question. You have always to think in long therms. I guess succes players know when to quit a game, and rest to next one. When you dont lose, you win!!! Think about it.