Confidence & Streaming Poker

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
reposted from here: https://medium.com/@omarting/are-you-comfortable-with-yourself-7c132b98d6d6

Since I’ve been streaming poker on Twitch the last couple of months, I’ve noticed an interesting trend: a lot of people only stream when they are doing well, going “deep” in a tournament, or on a final table.
This is understandable for a couple different reasons. Firstly, final tables are simply more exciting to watch. Nobody really wants to see you doink around the first few hours of the tournament. It’s the raw energy of binking the final table that gets me hard and I think most people feel the same way.
But secondly, and more importantly, I think people are scared to come to terms with themselves. People fear their own flaws. Moreso, people fear other people becoming aware of their flaws.
This is the ‘main’ reason girls wear makeup. I’m sure there are a plethora of other reasons that girls wear makeup; however, the main one is that girls simply think that they look better with makeup on. I’m sure this is a point of contention in itself since I know many guys who prefer girls with no makeup.

Bottom line is that girls may feel more confident with makeup on — but it’s because they feel flawed without it. I think it’s cool either way. You do you kinda thing.

If you are truly comfortable with yourself though, you should be able to wade through life with or without makeup on. (please don’t blast me for this)

The same applies to people who stream poker: you are the player you are, regardless of what you show the public.

If you are a losing player, but you only show your winning hands, that most likely means that you have self-esteem issues.

I feel like confidence starts with self-acceptance. Self-acceptance comes first with accepting you for who you are, flaws and all. You can’t be scared to show the world who you really are. Well, you can, and if you are, you will be holding yourself back from your true potential.
Let me give you an example: I suck at poker. I still suck. However, I am getting better, and improving every day. At some point, I will reach my potential as a poker player, but I am not there yet. Yet, I can feel myself getting better daily. I do this by streaming everything. From the moment I start playing until the moment I stop playing. I stream no delay and no card cover so the audience can see my cards and comment in real-time. Some people call me “utterly stupid” for showing my cards because I can be “sniped” by opposing players.
While this is true and sniping does happen, the feedback I get from the audience is more important since I am still learning. I make a lot of beginner mistakes. Yet, these mistakes get corrected real quick by someone in the audience. I invite all “chat pros” which are generally discouraged in other Twitch poker streams.
I feel like I can learn from anyone’s opinion or critique. Whether they said something to help me or demean me, they are both helping me. Even if the commenter is wrong, I still learn. Why? Because it makes me think about the hand, perhaps in a different way. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong, and sometimes there is NO right answer. You heard it right — in poker, sometimes there are two or more equally correct ways to play a hand. Sometimes you can take an aggressive or passive line.

Just because you won money doesn’t mean you played a hand right; and, just because you LOST money doesn’t mean you played the hand wrong. I think these two concepts are one of the most important ones to keep in mind when reviewing your hands.

My main point is this— accept yourself for who you are — as a person and as a poker player.
Put yourself out there as much as possible. I know, it sounds scary. But I guarantee, you will be pleasantly surprised. The HURT that you are expecting won’t be that bad.
Also, you’ll find out real quickly who your real friends are and who they aren’t.

Furthermore, you will get better as a poker player. You will gain more confidence as a person.
Pretty soon, you will stop giving a $hit about what other people think (one of the biggest downfalls of society in my opinion). Caring about what others think is what holds people back from chasing their dreams in the first place.
Whoa. What are we even talking about now? Poker? Life? It’s all the same for me.
Peace.

Last edited:
dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I like your post, and will check your streaming channel to take a look at.
I like how you tnink, especially about what others think about, and to accept yourself.

If you find your own inner peace, you will be much better and relaxed.
As soon as you start with this attitude I don't give a flying fck about others oppinion about me/this/that.... you will find that everything else doesn't matter so much to you like it did before.

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your post, and will check your streaming channel to take a look at.
I like how you tnink, especially about what others think about, and to accept yourself.

If you find your own inner peace, you will be much better and relaxed.
As soon as you start with this attitude I don't give a flying fck about others oppinion about me/this/that.... you will find that everything else doesn't matter so much to you like it did before.

Thanks for your kind message bro. It's comments like these that motivate me to keep creating good content!

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your thoughts are going in the right direction. Continue to broadcast your game live, this will give you the opportunity to find your mistakes and find solutions on your own or at the prompt of the audience. You do not need someone's approval, you yourself the whole world and the whole world in you. Believe in yourself and learn, and everything will be fine with you. I wish you the fastest poker heights and the fulfillment of your dreams.

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your thoughts are going in the right direction. Continue to broadcast your game live, this will give you the opportunity to find your mistakes and find solutions on your own or at the prompt of the audience. You do not need someone's approval, you yourself the whole world and the whole world in you. Believe in yourself and learn, and everything will be fine with you. I wish you the fastest poker heights and the fulfillment of your dreams.

Thanks Zvedzda. Initially it was really hard to stream, knowing that I suck lol. But I've made many friends in the process so it's fun now.