Comfort Zones ( in MTT Re-buy Events )?

gjshand

gjshand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Multiply questions of curiosity (I'll go first and put my answers in Red), it's always good to find out how other folks think:

To keep it simple lets only consider a Re-buy & Add-on NL Texas Hold'em MTT with 250 entrants.

1) How low does your stack need to be before you get concerned about not being a "Real Contender" to win the event?
If my stack puts me in the last 20% of the remaining players early on or in the last 10% in the later stages.

2) How low does your stack need to be before you consider an All-In Pre-Flop your only real move left?
Early stages it can be as high as 15BB's, as the tourney goes onward and upward then it drops to around the 4BB mark. (At 10/20 blinds folk will call with medium hands an All-in bet of 5 or 10 BB's, Later on when players tighten up then calling an All-In of 1200 (at 200/400) needs a slightly better starting hand so you have at least a chance.)

3) How big a stack do you need to feel "Safe" when the re-buys finish?
I like to either be in the top 20% or have at least 4 buy-in worth of chips.

4) When do you feel the need to Add-On at the break. Chip stack wise?
If i have between 3 and 5 buy-ins worth of chips i may consider it but a stack larger than that i don't bother. If i have less than three then yes i will (Funds dependant)

Feel free to post any other things that make you comfortable or uncomfortable along the same lines!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) I gauge it by how many BBs i have; if i get down to 20 i start to steal/loosen up and if its down to about 10 then i consider pushing

2) Same deal; Once i hit 10 BBs i push instead of raising. As you mentioned, it varies how late/early it is in the tourney but 10 is when i get really worried.
I'd never let myself get to 1200 if the blinds were at 200/400, unless i took a beat that left me shortstacked.

3) The blinds are usually at 50/100 when the break comes, so i would like to have about 4000 or 5000 to feel pretty comfortable (Though i hardly ever do :p)

4) If I'm shorstacked at the break ( <10 BBs) then i won't add on, i'll just take my chances with a push and hope it holds up then take it from there.
If I'm way up there with chips, i wont bother paying another buy-in just to add 1000 chips which really won't make much of a difference.

I don't like to gauge how comfortable i feel in comparison with others in the tourney, i prefer just comparing my stack to the blinds. If other players are hitting it big and have a huge lead, then there's nothing i can do about it, and i just do my best to build on my stack. I don't worry whether or not the chip leader's got a 5 to 1 lead to the 2nd place guy.

Great post, gjs i'm curious what others have to say too.