Colored notes for your opponents

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone, how do you feel about the ability to mark your opponents with labels and color? Does this help you? By what principle do you celebrate them?

I'm convinced that this is a very powerful tool that allows you to remember and use the weaknesses of other players, especially if you are often transplanted during the tournament. I will describe here below what color I identify players after some playing time. And you also can write your thoughts and observations about this function :)

Blue for tight players who play based on their cards and practically don't bluff. They play carefully and it's better to believe their calls and raises.

Dark blue for tight-aggressive players who sometimes show aggression but generally don't bluff often.

Red for loose-aggressive players who constantly go all-in for the flop. I'm so annoyed by such coin tosses, it's not a real poker. Usually they drop out of the tournament in the early stages and hope for real bad cards :saint:. In such cases, it is better to raise bets after this player, and not before his bet.

Yellow for players of a mixed type, who often try to pick up a pot for themselves through frequent raises and bluffs. But if you bluff correctly and raise more on the turn and river, then they usually back down. They allow you get good pots eventually. If such a player speaks after you, then it makes sense not to raise bets and wait until he raises. And then call his bet.

And a fun option, purple: D For those damn lucky ones who go for a flop or turn with a chance of less than 10% and get a card on the river that makes their combination stronger than mine :eek:. Sometimes it seems that they are cheaters who hack the system and know that they will win. I’d better be afraid of these and follow their game so as not to fall for their tricks and possibly complain in support in the future time :D:D:D
Actually I also use colors to label my opponents, but it happens sometimes that they change their level of play and I have had to color them again. Something that serves me better are the notes, because there I detail with more explanation game situations and behaviors of my rivals in different game situations such as: flop, turn and river, in addition to the bet size, #bt range, etc. :deal:

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always mark the different types of players with a specific color, it is another way of monitoring them and remembering what type of game they are playing and thus being prepared

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use color coordination for types of players as well as putting notes on every player I get a read on. This is a very valuable tool for me. Unlike in-person games it's too much to remember peoples screen names and how they play. So when I see someone join my table who I have put a note on I always love it knowing I have an advantage over them that they don't know about. I use red for good players. Green for terrible players or "fish". Blue for tight and average players. Orange and yellow for maniacs and aggressive players. I always make sure to include notes on specifics of hands I witnessed by them otherwise the color coding is too general and doesn't mean much.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello everyone, how do you feel about the ability to mark your opponents with labels and color? Does this help you? By what principle do you celebrate them?

I'm convinced that this is a very powerful tool that allows you to remember and use the weaknesses of other players, especially if you are often transplanted during the tournament. I will describe here below what color I identify players after some playing time. And you also can write your thoughts and observations about this function :)

Blue for tight players who play based on their cards and practically don't bluff. They play carefully and it's better to believe their calls and raises.

Dark blue for tight-aggressive players who sometimes show aggression but generally don't bluff often.

Red for loose-aggressive players who constantly go all-in for the flop. I'm so annoyed by such coin tosses, it's not a real poker. Usually they drop out of the tournament in the early stages and hope for real bad cards :saint:. In such cases, it is better to raise bets after this player, and not before his bet.

Yellow for players of a mixed type, who often try to pick up a pot for themselves through frequent raises and bluffs. But if you bluff correctly and raise more on the turn and river, then they usually back down. They allow you get good pots eventually. If such a player speaks after you, then it makes sense not to raise bets and wait until he raises. And then call his bet.

And a fun option, purple: D For those damn lucky ones who go for a flop or turn with a chance of less than 10% and get a card on the river that makes their combination stronger than mine :eek:. Sometimes it seems that they are cheaters who hack the system and know that they will win. I’d better be afraid of these and follow their game so as not to fall for their tricks and possibly complain in support in the future time :D:D:D
My dear this is very good.
I've never used it, and from now on I'm going to start doing it.
Thank you so much for the great idea.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nowadays any fraction of help that aids your game is not only permissible, but is a huge element in a person's success.

J

JOHNNYROD143

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I see a stronger player I will always highlight their name. I play a lot of boost poker so I have so many opportunities with ample hands so if I will always get away from 50/50s with a strong player to take advantage of a different player. This is to choose my spots better.

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

hello, nice topic.
For me, things are like this:
Yellow - very weak players who make crazy raises either too high or too low because I saw the turn in the pot 10BB or 15BB raise only 1bb
Greens - are those players who make good and correct raises, but quite often fold when faced with such
Red - those players who really know what they are doing and are quite aggressive in their actions
Blue - players who are tight but understand and attack when needed. Simply put, really strong players

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Eh, most of the times I use the green marker to mark the fish.
After a few weeks I meet someone that I marked as green, but this time the person is playing like a reg.

So I use to green marker as a mark that this person has a tilting tendency :D

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
If of course I use colors for different players, I also put notes, depending on how they play in each position.:)
I usually use the color yellow for limping players, who in whatever position limps everything.
Then the green color for recreational players who limit but pay even all the way in.
Lugo the whale red color, those players who go there very
often.The dark blue color for very aggressive players, and the light blue color for those players who play well.
It helps me, I don't know if it will help others.:D

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dark Green - Unk
Yellow - Nit
Light Blue - Recreational
Brown - Shortstack (it doesn't mean recreational, because some of players who play half stack are regulars)
Pink - Gambler
Grey - Aggro player (here I often make a note if guy is aggro pre or postflop)
Dark Pink - Calling Station
Green - Normal/Standard Reg
Blue - Weak Reg
Orange - Good Reg
Red - Polish player or just a friend
Purple - Elite (I mark by this colour very good players like Limitless, Bencb etc. It's easier to find them in lobbys of tourneys/cash games)
Silver - me :D

plus of course I make the notes who are very helpful. Especially with recs players.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was so confused for so long because of this I leaned by seeing every pros note taking and understand one thing it's upto us what color code we want to mark them according to their playing style and weakness, but mainly categories in to four types loose passive player, loose aggressive player, tight passive player and tight aggressive player but some of them come along to such as calling station( also know as loose passive player), recreational player but kind same in many term and last is regular knows as REG ( experienced player having knowledge of how to play preflop and how to play as well as take advantage of player tendencies postflop).

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use only three colors, like traffic light. Red- its tight agressive player, and I don’t want to be in pot with him, without strong holding. Green- its a loose player, and I want to be with him in pot as much as I can. And yellow is for calling stations. Those colors goes with notes of hands, that they played, and they are really useful when you play in same tournaments with them

L

Lochika

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am using a little bit of lables when I have something in general on the player (like pre flop plays, HUDs, etc). But it's always the best to write a full note that will help you to reach to the best decision. Lables can be a guide line, but for you to make the best exploit on your opponent you need to write a full and good note and read it after when you getting the player in your table draw.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to use them to mark players whose like to bluff but it wasn't helpfull much because i couldn't catch them on the same table so i stopped mark them.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never used notes to be honest I try to adapt my play to the table I'm on. Don't belive a hand or 2 you played against w villain will help once you play him again in 2 or 3 months specially when dealing with big fields.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to keep it simple, although after reading the OP I might have to start using more colors.

Green - I've seen them do things that make absolutely no sense

Yellow - They did something pretty good, but I'm not sure if it was an outlier or not

Red - Pretty much always has it if they are betting or raising

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really don`t know why I`m not using notes yet. But, a few close friends are marked in purple. And when I`m playing a bounty homegame, I put a yellow mark on the guys I want to bust out.

meagain00

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to rapidly classify players with a color for tight, loose, aggressive, solid, or tricky.
The rest goes in specific hand notes. I will usually classify players based on observations over two orbits at a 9 handed table for tight/loose - but will put a question mark - so color code, then as a note tight? loose? I do the tricky notation if I've seen them do excessive bluffing or trapping.

If they limp I'll try and note if it is polarized (limp weak hands, bet strong hands), strong (limps as a trap), or merged (limps everything); also whether they open limp or just limp behind.

Then I'll add notes as to their aggression and bet sizing patterns - how they play their draws, backdoor draws, strong made hands, showdown value hands, and complete air.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played poker for so ling that I know how most players play. The notes are not that helpful for me so I really don't make any. I can tell from the players that I have played with previously.

Beatlebug

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is something I should do and I don't.
I don't keep any information about opponents, I can't measure how much it could help me

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm dark blue, but it can also be loose depending on the opponent.

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course I think we should always flag our opponents with colors and whenever possible make notes about their play.
because whenever I play against again, we will always have an advantage and we can apply a strategy to the specific player.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically, I mark weak players and be sure to write notes so that next time I already know exactly how to play against this player

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Orange: for moderators and early sign up, I like to know who will suck out LOL
blue : fish
Red: Me incase I forget who I am
Green: go after them...
Red: Lucky suckers who always hit.