Chat as a poker player's secret weapon

E

eluwinka0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely use chat and never to provoke opponents. I think not many people actually read the chat if they are playing with unknown players

J

jcvd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where i play there is no chat, so i can't use that weapon :)))

4give4live

4give4live

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually begin to subtly tease an aggressive opponent. If he answers angrily, then I was not mistaken in my choice. We bring it up to optimal condition, and it is all yours. Salt and pepper to taste. This, of course, is not gentlemanly, but evil can only defeat evil) The vast majority of not very good people and not less not good players buy into it.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you use chat to provoke an opponent, and what are your favorite "tricks"?)

No. I turn off the chat and do not interfere with other players, because I do not see messages. And I advise you. You can communicate in another place.

A

Anton1609

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you use chat to provoke your opponent, and what are your favorite "tricks"?)
I often write to the chat when I stay 1 on 1 with my opponent and he thinks for a long time on the flop, I write don't use bluff, and I will take a strong card or draws every bet i call:pcguru:

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if you see a bad message addressed to you and just ignore it, this action can already play a cruel joke. No one likes being ignored.

GODZZ

GODZZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nah , i leave the stats up instead. Showing bluffs will work just as well.
glgl

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t use chat to provoke other players only to say nh or gl or gg. I usually don’t pay much attention to chat, especially if someone is being rude. I try to treat other players as respectfully as I expect to be treated. I realize people use it as a tactic when playing online but for myself I have no use for that.

The world is already filled with so much disconnection, if I’m going to try to connect with another person I would rather it be a positive one or just say nothing at all. No reply to negative chat says a lot anyhow.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Generally, as a rule, no. Why? Because it is bad for poker. And if it is bad for poker, it is bad for you.

What we need to be doing, is much like what sites like CC do. Encourage people to play one of the best games around. Pissing people off only drives them away. So, it might be advantageous for you in the heat of the moment, but as a long term strategy, you do not benefit from driving people away from poker.

I know it is tough, but sometimes you need to positively reinforce behaviours in others which are non-profitable. Also tell them nice hand, or well played if they stumble into a river-win with a pile of poo.

The more attractive the game is, the more people will play, and the more cash there is to be won.

All this notwithstanding, I abhor slow play. I cannot stand the false posturing and fake waiting as if a decision was difficult. Sure, sometimes it is, but drawing down your timer ever round is so annoying. So I will try and cajole a person to pick it up. Or, alternatively, I'll try to knock them out.
But more likely, I'll just open up another table so I don't have to wait.
Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If other players are teasing eachother and tilting off then I pay close attention. But I won't get involved if it was directed at me.

I'd like to promote good etiquette and general respect for each other where I can.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never provoke other players on the chat but it is true that he can be an additional asset during the course of the game. when I see that my opponent gives information about his state of mind. I take it into account in my decision-making. Usually it's the other players who try to provoke me but I always prefer to ignore them and stay focused on the game.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never

I never use chat when playing online. I like to concentrate on what I’m seeing on the table. You can’t trust what people are saying 90% of the time online anyway. So why would I need to talk to someone if I really won’t believe them most of the time anyway?!?

Z

Stay Safe