Bum Hunting Controversy

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do people think of the Bum Hunting controversy? Apparently GG confiscated funds from a player for bum hunting and signing up to one of their skins again after they were banned. I don't know all the ins and outs of the story, but it was the first time I heard the expression "bum hunting". It's a pretty funny expression and makes me laugh every time I hear someone say it!

It also strikes me as strange because I'm still learning the game and everyone stresses how important game selection. You don't have to be the best player as long as you have an edge against your competition, you can be successful.

I often check a tourney on Shark Scope to see the ratings of players before I sign up. I don't want to play with a pool of sharks! Does that make me a bum hunter? Am I bum hunting lite? LOL!

I know they are talking about cash rather than tourneys and about leaving the table as soon as the "bum" leaves but what exactly is bum hunting? Where is the difference between bum hunting and getting info so you can play a game where you have an edge or selecting a soft game where there are more fish? I guess the difference is to do with degrees.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others think about bum hunting! LOL

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bum hunting is old news it's been around since day one of online poker. Regs chase fish that's how games start.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GG Poker did not confiscate his money for bum hunting. They confiscated them for signing up again on one skin after being banned from the network on another. It has not been publicly stated, why he was banned in the first place, but it also kind of dont matter. The important is, he came back, even though he had been asked not to.

They only confiscated his winnings and not his deposit, and personally I think, this was completely fair. If you are banned, there has to be some consequenzes for ignoring it, because otherwise people are just freerolling. A professional poker player should know and understand this.

As for GG Pokers TOS, they do specifically prohibit bum hunting, which to me is a bit debatable, since bum hunting is not all that well defined. But then again if you sign up with intention to play cash games for profit, then you know, that these are the conditions. So you cant really cry for your mother, if you get kicked out for jumping around the tables to much. If you want to be 100% safe, they have fast fold games and tournaments, where this is obviously not going to be an issue.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me bum hunting is bread and butter of winning players. Not only you look for weaker players online but also live. Bum hunting is not cheating. Cheating involves dishonesty. But a bum hunting a person is totally honest and does not disguise what he is doing. If a recreational person is totally fine and having fun playing against pros then it is not the site's duty to protect this person. Otherwise the person would be freerolling.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think everyone should be hunting the bad players. The biggest mistake players make is- not table/game selecting.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's the fundamental reson of existence of the pros nowadays , the edge , the hunt of the loose whales in the vast live and online poker ecosystem , of the non good players , why play otherwise ?? I've seen , everyday , tables on stars been creating and after a while being abandoned , all seats empted , players choose tables all the time . Pros are master on this . When they fight each other they fight about programms , colaboration between two or more of them , etc but never for bum hunting , only if this is being made by a team of two or more who are a team , or if these two or more accounts are being controlled by the same person :)

lol . So many issues in online poker . I am sure a ban hammer by poker rooms could solve all these issues in mili seconds , they know everything , yet they allow so many things to happen , I wonder why .....