Building a poker setup

P

pokijh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, any computer experts here? I am currently in the process of building my first computer. I will be playing poker for the most part.

When it comes to the processor I am not really sure whether i should go for the i5 or the i7. Will the i7 be necessary, or will an i5 be fine? How much of a difference would it make? In my country the price difference between those two is about 250USD, so please take that into consideration.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Virtually no difference, the software is not intensive on either cpu or gpu.

Only relevant perhaps if you want to use solvers or do simulations a great deal.

Either will be fine and a Ryzen 5 3600 from AMD will likely be better than both for less money.

P

pokijh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Virtually no difference, the software is not intensive on either cpu or gpu.

Only relevant perhaps if you want to use solvers or do simulations a great deal.

Either will be fine and a Ryzen 5 3600 from AMD will likely be better than both for less money.

Ok, thank you. I will not be using solvers at this moment, so I think I'll stick to the i5.

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a 450 euro laptop, it has an i5 I got it February 2017 and works fine as I run hm2 and 4 tables of poker at once !

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on which motherboard is used. I have an intel xeon in my build. He feels fine)) E3-1230V2. Equivalent I7 3770K but cheaper. Since there is no embedded video

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars client with the new aurora engine is not at all light on GPU. As CPU both i5 and i7 will do fine but the intel integrated graphics is near the minimum needed for the pokerstars client. I assume that you talk about desktop machine and not laptop correct? If so it is good idea to also add video card. I recommend nvidia as their drivers are generally more stable and it is less likely to have problems with it. Video card like nvidia 1050 or 1650 will be more than enough for any poker client and will also allow you to play some games especially if your monitor is full hd and not 4K. Also be sure to get at least 8GB of system memory (16GB highly recommended). You can also look at the amd ryzen based systems as they have generally good price/performance ratio and better integrated graphics than intel. But even if you go with ryzen i still recommend to also add video card and not count on the integrated graphics.

dylangarcia3

dylangarcia3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you don´t need a good set up, just be comfortable where you are playing, that's it