Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In live poker, many players wear hats, glasses, and headphones to mask their feelings and interactions. I consider body language in poker to be one of the most important skills. Can these skills or some of them be used in online poker, and if not, can we replace them with other skills?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In live poker, many players wear hats, glasses, and headphones to mask their feelings and interactions. I consider body language in poker to be one of the most important skills. Can these skills or some of them be used in online poker, and if not, can we replace them with other skills?

Well, since the other players shouldn't be able to see you in an online game: obviously, body language shouldn't matter at all. Online, we can only rely on timing tells, betting patterns, verbal tells (if they use the chat) and things like this. However, I place far less emphasis on things like the chat because they purposely type things there. In a live game, someone might just talk a bit too much and say the wrong thing, but online any chat is intentional and might even be a reverse-tell.

When playing online, I personally use it as practice for live poker. I get in the habit (sometimes) of putting on my same "poker face" at the computer. No, I'm not afraid they can sense me through the screen; it is just that you play how you practice and I don't want to be a fountain of tells because I only play online and never have to worry about body language giving away information.

Also not really tell-based, but I keep a stack of chips at my computer. That way I can shuffle them just like a live game (again, play how you practice) and get comfortable with handling the chips. It also gives something to mess around with when someone is disconnected and the table has to wait for their clock to time out :D

e7e6d46b0eb1f48bc048d7c23ad0fa83.gif

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a very interesting topic that you have touched on here. Indeed, if you can develop other types of "skills" to detect the movements of your opponents when you play online poker, but I feel that for this you must already have enough experience as an online player, as they told you in the previous comment, you rely on in times it takes the player to bet, amount he bets, aggressiveness, when he bluffs and when not, what type of hands raises the bets, etc, etc, etc.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Timing is really the only tell in onike poker and its easy to fake it.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think you can use those skills in online poker and that’s one of the reasons why live poker is so much better in my opinion.

E

el79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that those body movements that you mention are comparable to some that are aggressive speaking through the chat, where they try to distract and deconcentrate, others use time and there I also feel that they denote something, also when they are very fast, in short, it is more difficult to detect I think but they are also equivalent to a body movement that says a lot or everything about a live player.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As Phoenix and Carlos pointed it, he just introduced skills in live poker, and wanted to know which aspects can help online poker players such as body language in live poker.

I always say that online poker you have to work what you have. People hided behind avatars, and they playing card games, and making actions different ways, in between different thinking-time, from different positions. What I feel is included as well are the notes that you making about them, online its so easy just colour them and writing whatever you want. And online you can see the stack sizes more easily, and actions more frequently.

So the pyschology part is different, but the game itself the same.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think the only option that can really help is player notes. This is the only thing that sometimes benefits me and helps me make the right decisions.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Thank you for the information. It is agreed that online poker players are equal not to benefit from their body language skills. Body language skills differ from one player to another in the degree of their confidence and use them to discover the opponent's movement or to lie and circumvent him as well. Regarding the method I adopted in online poker , I think it is enough to pay attention to the reaction of the opponent and the duration of the bets and when he is bluffing and when he is not bluffing and the aggressiveness

Last edited:
N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker also have its tells albeit being more subtle. Example are betting sizes and time it takes for player to respond.

linf

linf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
movement, emotions can be faked. as well as the time of thinking about

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Timing tells are pretty much the same in online poker, as body language in live poker.

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is much easier to sell a bluff when a card pairs the board. You can fake a set or even a full house. Be careful not to bluff the full house that your opponent just hit! Making timely bluffs are more important than other actions.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's hard online to figure out someone, his action time indicates a hint to some extent if you analyze him for some time to how he reacts to the game, I can't find anything else ...

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Decision making time, bet sizing and chat behavior.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can look for things online like buy-in amount, timing, bet sizing, number of tables played, if they limp, if they sitter limp, if they limp buttons, if they make the correct icm play, hud stats, sharkscope results, etc, etc, etc.