Bankroll management

TeamPainter

TeamPainter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello folks. Quick question on bankroll management.

I played years ago for four years, during the Full Tilt/Merge USA days. I have always been a pretty strict bankroll player.

So I deposited $1000 on sportsbetting.ag on 31 DEC, 19 days ago. I had a free ticket to the "New Depositor $10,000 Freeroll". Well, only 65 people entered, paying the top 11. I ended up placing 9th and won $347. Then through .05/.10 cash tables mainly, and a handful of $3.50 Sit n Go's, my bankroll after 19 days went from $1,000 to over $1400.

Right now I'm following my "1%" rule, meaning I'll never lay down more than 1% on a table at any given time. It really avoids me worrying when I get busted out at a cash table. Now 1% of $1400 is $10.40. I have read that the tightest players play at 2%. 2% of $1400 is $28, giving me room to actually move up in stakes from .05/.10 cash tables to .10/.25 cash tables.

Here is the concern though. It's been 6 years since I have been into playing online for profit. So I'm re-reading books now, charts, math, etc. Both my cash table and Sit n Go charts both are going up at a decent rate. (Which I have to do manually on graph paper, unless someone can give me info on a program I can use on sportsbetting.ag, lol, neither PokerTracker nor HoldemManager work).

Am I playing too tight a bankroll management? Should I move up to .10/.25 cash tables yet, ($25 buy-in), or should I give myself like a 30 day period sticking to the $10 buy in games? Does it get any harder on sportsbetting.ag going up to the next level from the smallest?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Its been a while, lol :)

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a cash player, but that seems awfully tight to me. That being said, don't let the size of your bankroll determine if you move up in stakes. Your success is what should determine that. I also think that is a lot of money to have tied up in an online poker site.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) 1% is on the low side for cash games
2) in case you're not sure: prove for yourself that you are a winning player at lower stakes. Alternatively look at it as 'training fee', to get back into the game. This avoids achiveing the same, but at the expense of 20% of your bankroll.

TeamPainter

TeamPainter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am doing very good at the smallest level here, .05/.10. I guess after reading the responses the main question would be, "does it get easier moving up from smallest stakes to second smallest?" I have noticed there are ALOT of grinders at my level, and I'm consistently beating THEM. I play only one table at a time, for the love of the game and always learning. I haven't played at the $25 tables yet, and not sure how many multi table grinders there are. Those guys are where they are as far as knowledge, and really can't "improve their game" in my opinion playing 12 tables at once. Its all charted and sometimes some bull**** program running.

I ask this about the microstakes because you guys have been in the game recently, where as I am 3 weeks in.

TeamPainter

TeamPainter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a cash player, but that seems awfully tight to me. That being said, don't let the size of your bankroll determine if you move up in stakes. Your success is what should determine that. I also think that is a lot of money to have tied up in an online poker site.

Not really close a lot of money to have into an online poker site, (in my opinion, not saying you are wrong).

You have to consider two things, one, I am a disabled veteran on VA disability and have the ability to do something like this to generate income, (as I did over 4 years almost a decade ago), and two, $1000 would actually be a minimum if going by 1%, 2% (which most recommend I guess), would still be $500.

Once I make a withdraw here within the next month of $500 off the account, (just to see if its legit), then I plan on matching what I need to have at least a $10,000 bankroll, maybe more. You can't really generate an income off of $1000 bankroll unless you play WAY out of bankroll management.

Anyone have any experience with sportsbetting.ag? I think they are linked to betonline.ag. Anyone have issues on withdrawing and them being legit?

TeamPainter

TeamPainter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I'm smart enough to know that by "adding and making a $10,000 bankroll", doesn't mean its going to be deposited in THEIR account, lol. The remainder beyond the $1000 will stay right in my bank, the account I made specifically for poker only, but will still be considered my "bankroll". I'll transfer it from there if and as needed. Anyone who drops 10 grand into some offshore account like that doesn't need to be playing poker, lol.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats (1-2%) very reasonable for tourney play. I started first with cash games and would follow the 20 buy-in rule. I followed a 100 buy-in rule for tourneys. I made over 40k in 3yrs starting with $10 in 05. I would freshen up your poker knowledge on twitch watching the likes of Matt Staples and company. They give great commentary on each decision, and it will help you build on the knowledge you already possess. The game has changed quite a bit since we used to play. I played under Mr_Hand on Fulltilt if you wanted to check out my old stats.

xaakar

xaakar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion, bankroll management is ONLY important if you are beating the stake you are playing and/or making smart <shot> at higher stake that you normally play.

with your roll i would start at NL10, play around 30k hands. check your winrate. anything higher than 8bb/100 , you should move up. rinse and repeat until you reach a level where you are beating the game for 3-5 bb/100

also it really depends what kind of game you play.

my recommandations :

full ring : 30-40 buyins
6max : 40-60 buyins
heads up: no idea, never played lol

as for taking shot, there is several way to do it, you can always save 2-3 buy in and test the fields if you lose it, DROP down , its very important. and start again.

you could as well buy in for less than the max 100bb.

generally you want to play fewer table when you try to move up, and try to play during <<prime time>> ie during evening or weekends. and table SELECT to the MAX.

in the end, BRM are just rules, and your bankroll just a number, you have to make sure that your beating the game for a big enough sample before moving up, otherwise youll blow your roll like many many people does everyday.....

good luck out there

S

simmo5050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think a 100 buy-in for cash games is unreasonable at all.
Cash games onthe sites I play at are much tougher than they were in the past. If you have a 3-5bb/100 winrate, you will still have a 15-20% of losing over 100,000 hands. Many players don't seem to understand variance . You'll be better supported and balanced with a bigger roll than otherwise. If you are winning after 100k hands at 3bb/100 or more, consider moving up to 25nl but you could get razored more quickly as there will be some better players.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management