Avoid playing tourneys on the weekend

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually avoid playing online MTTs on the weekend bc theres way more Loose players pushing with mediocre sucking out. Many people who play on the weekends are letting loose from the week, they're off work, and dont really care about losing so it creates this minefield of variables to get through or fade with premium holdings. Weekday tournaments are much more soft with about the same prizepools.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I agree with you, at micro stakes it is, and with a larger buy-in, players will not uselessly push. Best regards, Sergei

GabaGabaHey

GabaGabaHey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play lots of freerolls and you'll just get used to it. That sort of loose insane play is typical no matter what day of the week or time it is.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Man, I think it depends a lot, it goes a lot more on you than on others, the decision to go hand-in-hand is always ours, of course we have to play with caution, just see who is playing very loose and try to play better, when that I only play if I have a very good hand and another is just not going to ALL in without a card.
It doesn't just happen on the weekend, it happens directly during the week too.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if it makes sense to avoid loose players on weekends. As you correctly mentioned, there are many recreational players in the tournaments at the weekend. Presumably, they play mostly for fun without a major strategy, drinking a few beer or liquor while playing, being not very focused and often take more risks in the game. Isn't it exactly that kind of players a really good player wants to have at the table because they'll pay for their winnings in the longer term?

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All awesome points and I respect all of your feedback. This is why I love Cardchat. Y'all rock!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's a double edged sword.

The play is wilder on the weekends which in my book equates to frustrating with a side of stupid. However...and it is a big however... my records show that Friday and Saturday are my biggest earners. And, this is not simply because I play more on the weekends as I play a similar amount on a daily basis when feasible.

Friday cashes increase by approximately 150% with Saturday cashes increasing by 173% over the other five days of the week which are fairly even. A fact which only became apparent as my records grew after joining CC. This by the by is the number of cashes rather than dollar gains which I believe would be even more weighted in favor of the weekend as they have brought many of my larger cashes.

I have said I do not enjoy playing on the weekend (with justification) but you have to take care not to let that emotional perspective detract from play.

Edit - yup just did a breakdown of my top 30 biggest cashes and 63.33% fall on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:
P

PEGAMEUALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for those who learned playing frerooll, are not afraid of this situation

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess its how you look at it,,,,but i see a weaker player pool,which to me equals $$$.I don't fear weaker players,i invite them to my table. ;)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I completely disagree! :)

Bigger prizepools & more recreational players equates to 'take my buy-in munies right naow'..! :laugh:

Live for the weekends! :icon_thum

V

vanish123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
true, in weekend more loose players, but also more prisemoney

V

vanish123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just play thight game in beginning and make a good immage. later in game u can outplay them more,u spot loose players fast and they will drop out when stack runs down.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to disagree, I prefer to play on the weekends. One of the reasons is because I have more time to play and also because is when the recreational players usually play and it’s a lot easier to win playing with them than with the regulars.

luckyhenri

luckyhenri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play poker, I play long periods of time every day.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i mostly play on weekends cause when you are working 5 days a week its hard to get online to play

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Embrace the variance, don't try to avoid it.

I mean... think about what you just said... your plan is to skip the tournaments where players are making sub-optimal decisions by "shoving light"... but when the tournaments are filled with "better" players who aren't shoving those weaker hands, your plan is to play those?

I submit you have it entirely backwards. Yes I understand variance can be painful when you get it in with KK and lose to some random 97o shove-monkey... but the truth is, you want to be in that spot every hand if possible!! Why would you avoid that scenario? Because you're afraid to lose?

Just trying to be helpful, no insult intended, I totally get what you're saying but I suggest you embrace the variance instead of trying to avoid it. Don't make your own high variance, don't start shoving 97o hands in retaliation, I'm not suggesting that at all just to be clear. Play a tight, solid game against those who aren't as tight and as solid as you are. That's profitable!!! Best wishes. My opinions obv, the beauty of poker is that we're free to play it any way you like. :)

leifen

leifen

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I kind a agree, weekend means more loose players in many ways
but if you play your hand rigth its also easy money...

Riccoboni

Riccoboni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually avoid playing online MTTs on the weekend bc theres way more Loose players pushing with mediocre sucking out. Many people who play on the weekends are letting loose from the week, they're off work, and dont really care about losing so it creates this minefield of variables to get through or fade with premium holdings. Weekday tournaments are much more soft with about the same prizepools.

Excellent observation!
I prefer to play live on the weekends. However, I will start participating in the CC freerolls. I believe that in the platinum club freerolls the technical level is better.

:)

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree with you.
And my modest winnings in MTTs mainly happened at weekdays.
But maybe it means that I need to improve my poker skills to take advantage of the massive field of "week-end players" 🤔
Hard work to come...

Z

zzZeldaxx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to disagree, I prefer to play on the weekends. One of the reasons is because I have more time to play and also because is when the recreational players usually play and it’s a lot easier to win playing with them than with the regulars.

I agree with you 100%! I find that if I maintain extreme discipline and patience in the early stages of a weekend freeroll or micro MTT, I am usually rewarded for doing so. While today is Monday and not the weekend, I was in a tournament where around 50-75 hands had gone by and I do not think I played a single one, not even in my BB. I get dealt KK in the BB and while that is already pretty awesome, there is also a raise, and reraise and a call ahead of me. Obviously, I reraise and it ends up being 4 of us all in preflop. KK vs A5o vs KQ vs J10. I don't really remember the flop because it didn't contain an Ace or Jack or anything really scary to me. My pocket kings prevailed and I went from a stack of like 2500 to just over 10000K. You just have to be patient and pick your spots.

C

capujoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Or, you can take advantage of all the loose players in the weekend.