Anyone still take notes??

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, thanks for your reply, however i meant in non cc games vs non cc players (so players you don't have notes on) , my question remains , does reliance on notes in cc games not hamper games outside of cc vs non cc members?
To add , I would say does this reliance on notes not slow down natural ability when now playing people who you have no notes on? (Sorta back to basics) ?
My view is to get stronger against everyone, cc and non cc members alike, I like all their chips equally , I take notes, just mental ones though

I uunderstand what you are saying, but my answer still stays the same. You can run into the same non cc players in different tournaments. So you you can take notes and remember them for next time too.

I also don’t believe your natural ability is hindered. If anything improved as you will start to see common tendencies in many players.

I do not see how natural ability would be hindered by taking notes all of the time against everyone. You WILL most likely run into the same people numerous times, especially when you play at the same level. And when you do, you already have a built in read on them, of course, you want to verify that they have not changed their game through improvement or because they are in a different format than when you played them before (say a freeroll v a buyin tourney). But because you already have a read on them, you can know what to expect sooner than organically trying to read them. Plus, that frees you up somewhat to observe how the other players are playing. So, once you verify your read on the player that you already have notes on, you can concentrate on learning how the other players play.

I have a terrific memory, yet I am not going to remember how someone that I saw last week specifically plays, I may remember his screen name and a few other random bits of information, but nothing as substantial as the book I keep on him (or her).

It doesn't matter CC player, non-CC player, CC game or non-CC game. You take notes and they will end up being useful in the game you are playing, especially when you see patterns emerge like a guy who raises from the button every time it is folded around to him when he is on the button...or a stop and go player...or a player who loves to raise from UTG every round. These players are out there.

Not long ago I was in a tournament with a guy who would raise from the BB every single round, he was not called often because otherwise, he was a very tight player, only coming in with top 10 hands. On the rare instances he was called on these BB raises, he would pot bet the flop every single time. Once I identified what he was doing, I started calling his BB raise and 3 betting his cbet. He would fold. This went on 4 or 5 times and I thought he would figure out that I knew what he was doing and was just raising him with cheese (which I was)...but I guess he didn't take notes, because he let it continue until he was moved to another table. About 45 minutes to an hour later, we both reached the final table. I noticed right away that he was still running his BB raise, so I went right back after him. While he never caught on, other savvy players did and I had to settle my own thieving ways down because there were a few of us going at him now. He NEVER adjusted and was busted out in 8th.

Had I NOT been taking notes, I probably would have identified what he was doing, but then after him being gone and other players coming and going, I may or may not have remembered his BB raises. I certainly wouldn't remember them the next time I play him. BUT, I have a note, once I verify that he has not altered his strategy, then I will be able to go right after his BB sooner than organically picking it up during play. This is profitable and is only 1 of a million examples I could give you on why taking notes, regardless of where and against who you play, is a key element to playing winning poker.

You already play a really solid game Sean, but I think this will help elevate you to the next level.

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good thing about note taking is that it helps reinforce the mental remembrance.
Going back and looking at old notes, plus notes recently added, allows one to examine differences.
A lot of times you find the same basic pattern in the notes you've taken among players of similar style.
And when you encounter a player whose style fits the notes trend, you remember easier and quicker what works and doesn't.
And that's just the tip of the Noteburg, which at times feels like a titanic endeavor, but ultimately worth the extra survival it provides.
;)

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not see how natural ability would be hindered by taking notes all of the time against everyone. You WILL most likely run into the same people numerous times, especially when you play at the same level. And when you do, you already have a built in read on them, of course, you want to verify that they have not changed their game through improvement or because they are in a different format than when you played them before (say a freeroll v a buyin tourney). But because you already have a read on them, you can know what to expect sooner than organically trying to read them. Plus, that frees you up somewhat to observe how the other players are playing. So, once you verify your read on the player that you already have notes on, you can concentrate on learning how the other players play.

I have a terrific memory, yet I am not going to remember how someone that I saw last week specifically plays, I may remember his screen name and a few other random bits of information, but nothing as substantial as the book I keep on him (or her).

It doesn't matter CC player, non-CC player, CC game or non-CC game. You take notes and they will end up being useful in the game you are playing, especially when you see patterns emerge like a guy who raises from the button every time it is folded around to him when he is on the button...or a stop and go player...or a player who loves to raise from UTG every round. These players are out there.

Not long ago I was in a tournament with a guy who would raise from the BB every single round, he was not called often because otherwise, he was a very tight player, only coming in with top 10 hands. On the rare instances he was called on these BB raises, he would pot bet the flop every single time. Once I identified what he was doing, I started calling his BB raise and 3 betting his cbet. He would fold. This went on 4 or 5 times and I thought he would figure out that I knew what he was doing and was just raising him with cheese (which I was)...but I guess he didn't take notes, because he let it continue until he was moved to another table. About 45 minutes to an hour later, we both reached the final table. I noticed right away that he was still running his BB raise, so I went right back after him. While he never caught on, other savvy players did and I had to settle my own thieving ways down because there were a few of us going at him now. He NEVER adjusted and was busted out in 8th.

Had I NOT been taking notes, I probably would have identified what he was doing, but then after him being gone and other players coming and going, I may or may not have remembered his BB raises. I certainly wouldn't remember them the next time I play him. BUT, I have a note, once I verify that he has not altered his strategy, then I will be able to go right after his BB sooner than organically picking it up during play. This is profitable and is only 1 of a million examples I could give you on why taking notes, regardless of where and against who you play, is a key element to playing winning poker.

You already play a really solid game Sean, but I think this will help elevate you to the next level.

Perfect example

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is similar to how to play vs hud rivals, I always felt that once I guessed that a rival either was using hud or notes on me, I'd simply vary my play the opposite way and see what happens :) , I agree that notes on players you know is good, and if you're going to play against those it's fine, I still watch the play of rivals at the table I'm on, and if I suspect any stealing. ..i adjust accordingly , of course not 100% accurate, but then even with notes some rivals actually have a hand too,
I have some notes on cc players already so will look them over and see any differences in the present

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've always been a HUGE note taker. I also 100% agree that there are many players who will have a similar playing style... with similar tendancies (years ago I would assign color tags to these styles I had listed (with over 10 different player types at one point)).

And for sure you will constantly run into the same players even in tournaments with massive fields. The bigger your note base becomes, the more you will see them (obviously). Back on Fulltilt I had a massive amount of notes & would keep them stored on a memory stick which I would update regularly. There would be occasions where I would be in a tournament with 100 players remaining & I would have notes from previous occasions on over half of them. In Sng's I would regularly have previous notes on the entire table (in the 45mans).

I played a ton of private games back then, across a couple dozen different sites (or more). It was the same pool of 2 or 300 players from countries all over the world (with some different ones in each group/forum/club, etc.). Extensive notes in those games helped me to get some great results! (I used to do okay in the CC games too)

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had I NOT been taking notes, I probably would have identified what he was doing, but then after him being gone and other players coming and going, I may or may not have remembered his BB raises.

yes , well I'm trying to train exactly my memory to do this , as won't alway be able to take notes live , although I guess cellphones are allowed now in live events yes ? so note taking can still happen I guess , I'm all up for taking notes on people you dont know during a non cc event and then using info against them in the same mtt ( I've been doing this mentally mostly) as I'll not be sure how good my run will be.
also I really like to get a feel for the table, and most time I'll know exactly what hand they could have when we turn over, this "feeling" is what I'm trying to strengthen as well , haha it's ninja vs the world time :) , I guess everyone will be taking notes on me now, I say good poker to all and watchout for that 3bet ! :p

F

FlopGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe im one of the few that still take notes and never used hud before. Is however weird to take notes on a live table haha...

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rely heavily on notes. I always have. For online, you need every advantage you can get as the competition continues to improve. Notes are a must for serious players in my opinion.

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is of course very correct for online games, and it is very cool to analyze your game and the game of the enemy, you can achieve a lot in the analysis of their own and other people's games!! but I do not do this and whether I will begin to do the analysis of hands, I also do not know, but I would like to

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not use HUD, and take notes on the players. I try to make notes simple and straightforward, because even a few words help to understand the nature of the opponent's game.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not use HUD, and take notes on the players. I try to make notes simple and straightforward, because even a few words help to understand the nature of the opponent's game.
I haven’t used a hud since I quit playing cash games. I find the hand samples for tourneys are just too small for me to make a good decision. We have all been on heaters and all been card dead. It doesn’t mean over the course of 50-100 hands we are too aggressive or too tight. We might simply be playing our cards. I just found small notes on players to be more helpful.

cyrilflorendooo

cyrilflorendooo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take notes everytime, even when he 3bets or what card he bets, and I have labels named "weird bet" and "weird hand" . it helps my game improve

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use hud and I also take notes from sharkscope Graphics off pepole...

I bought gold Sharkscope to make as much searches I want... and I depending on the information given on the site I separate people by colors... Example:
Green: Regular
Red : Negative player
Pink: Extremely good reg
Orange: Fish/Recreational player
and others that are more personal things.

For those who don't know what sharkscope is, It is a site that you can search people's name to see their online graphics. and you can do 5 five searches a day.

It is really helpfull since I play regularly tournaments in pokerstars and other softwares this note system is really helpfull to make decisions easier.

In a long term this will be profitable, if you notice someone's doing something okward in tables just take a few seconds and right something that you judge the player is doing wrong. This can help you to learn from their mistakes and learn how to play against they in the future.

In a long term this will be profitable, if you notice someone's doing something no sence in tables just take a few seconds to write a note on the guy with something that you judge the player is doing wrong. This can help you to learn from mistakes of others(to not do the same) and learn how to play against they in the future.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
make notes on players

I always make notes of the players, especially the aggressive ones.
Thanks to these player notes I doubled my stack in a 0.25, 90-player sit'go, I had a note that a player bet with nothing on the flop, turn and river, I doubled my stack with 55, that against other players I would fold on the flop 2 4 8, but against this player, I went from call flop, call turn and all in river call, he with AJo, I don't remember the turn and the river.
And when I'm playing at a lot of sit'go tables I still make notes of the players, scoring the great players is also very important.
The more information you have from opponents, the better it will be to make the right decision.
I've been playing poker for almost a year, at first I didn't care about player grades, but today I think it's crazy, everything you can learn will help you evolve into poker.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe im one of the few that still take notes and never used hud before. Is however weird to take notes on a live table haha...

I take notes when I play live. Not always at the table, but sometimes I will on my phone. Someone needs to make a phone App just for that...oh, wait, nevermind...why am I giving away zillion dollar ideas??? LOL, in all seriousness. I do take notes playing live. Sometimes at the table on my phone, sometimes I will step away from the table to "go to the restroom" or something during cash games. Generally these are basic notes and if I don't find out their names, then I make something up. Usually I won't need the notes so much for the game I am in, but I do find they are useful when I come back and see the same player...which is not uncommon.

Live tournaments are different, there are usually unfamiliar faces at the table and even the familiar ones have to be updated to a certain degree. You would think it would be easier to track live because the pace of play is so much slower, but it seems to be harder. IDK. But, I really feel that it gives me an edge AND because some people will actually see me taking notes, it will make them change their game. It's an ego thing, but I find it to create really advantageous situations.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have my own system using the note features in carbon and acr, but i started using the quick player tags instead indicated by a color or an icon such as a "fish" or a "donkey". it helps me because i tend to see the same few people in the sngs especially

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In cash games, I think notes could be useful. They certainly couldn't hurt. But in the world of tournaments, which contains such a transient base of players, I really don't see the point. I think that the time keeping notes would be a waste of time, and given the amount of players online, it would be difficult to consult your notes while in a tournament.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still take notes but more often than not I just give them a color. Which definitely is not as useful as notes. The more information the better. A lot of times I see a player at my table that I marked with a color, I go to read the notes which are blank and I always get annoyed with myself that I didn't add notes.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, i think it's really useful thing

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sure itś a good tool. I use to do it many times. But I am able to manage the game without it.
Best of luck

T

Trixster61

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to take notes but found the more I had the worse I played. If you mark a player as a bluffer you treat them as such.... play each hand as it comes. I do keep mental note of possible idiots in early rounds and just wait and hoped either I move or they do. When I meet them later I target them 😁

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Colour coding does for the most part for me and ill take significant notes on exploitable paterns i see in villains game. Really pretty generic basic stuff like capable of shoving turn as a bluff on xxxx type board or 4bet shove AK and bet sizing tells like over bets as bluff or for value. But i dont go mad anymore with notes you can really over do them if you start trying to take down specific hands all the time and they get confusing and unreadable imo. So the notes i tend to take are going to be an action that stood out and caught my eye for whatever reason that i think worthy of taking a note on. And with some notes you can leave a question mark on any suspicion of a specific tell until you confirm the tell from repeated actions.

Last edited:
PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a HUD, but never use it when playing.
I use it when reviewing and studying, and only to really gauge where i'm at.

I take notes when playing and reviewing, and adjust them as needed.
Color coding helps in generalizing types of players, but the notes trump the color, and I go though crayons often.

You can turn off your hud while still running the tracker so you can select hands for review after your sessions. Although your possibly just playing a site where the tracker cant be open in play.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's less about actually taking note....

But more about what is actually note worthy, how to take notes, and how to recognize, categorize player type. Along with how to adjust according based off those types...

There is no point in taking notes unless you know how to exsploit the player you took the note on.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to take notes about players very often, but I'm just tired of doing it, in large tournaments with a huge number of players they rarely help me.