Has anyone found a bit higher stakes easier than micro-stakes?

T

tealurker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since micro-stakes is kind of its own game.
Or are higher stakes almost always more challenging?

Easier as in easier to turn a profit.

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its funny I played my first ever high buy in tournament just yesterday. I regular play the $5 and $10 MTTs but last night I won a freeroll where the prize was a ticket to a $500 buy in tournament with $50,000GTD. I believe the winner took home a little over $35,000. Honestly I was quite taken back by how different the play was. Two hours into the tournament and not a single player had busted out. For the most part everyone I sat at the table with played very good fundamental poker which is in stark contrast to what you see in the low stake MTTs. As far as which type is harder I think it really depends on your skillset. If you're good at picking up on the things you're opponents do incorrectly and you're able to find ways in which to exploit those players then you most likely will have an easier time playing low stakes. On the other hand if you can play a fundamentally sound gto style of poker you would would probably do better at the higher stakes.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a common misconception, that micro stakes games are impossible to beat, because there are so many loose and wild players, they can have any two cards, they always suck out on you, etc. But people making these claims always have major issues in their own game. They have tilt problems, they lack patience, they cant fold an overpair, they slowplay to much, they miss thin value bets. The list goes on.

The simple truth is, that if you are unable to develop a strategy to beat the worst players in the game over a significant sample of hands, then you stand no chance of being a long term winner at higher stakes against much better opponents. Its the old cliché of “moving up where they respect your raises”, and that whole thought process is just completely flawed.

The only exception is, if the lowest stakes are raked to a degree, which make them almost unbeatable. In that case it can make sense to start a bit higher. Or perhaps find another poker site or another game, where the rake is more reasonable.

T

Tomiveres

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in micro stakes ( talking about tournaments) its a little difficult to win because there are usually bigger fish then in a higher limit .
On the other side , on higher limits there are better players .

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Neither is easy. :hmmmm2:
Looking at tournaments on micro bets, you have to chew yourself through a huge amount of fish to the final table which is very difficult (but due to the low stakes you can have a lot more shots compared to your bankroll than if you were playing at a higher bet).
Higher stakes, on the other hand, have a lot more sharks, and if you felt like a shark at micro stake, you could easily fill the fish here.

There’s a saying that might say:
If you can’t figure out who the sucker is at the table in half an hour then you’re yourself. :D

Good luck.

Szyilard

Szyilard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a matter of learning and money. You can play at medium stakes with little knowledge, but it won't be profitable in the long run. Once you have the right knowledge, you need to level up.

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly I was quite taken back by how different the play was. Two hours into the tournament and not a single player had busted out. For the most part everyone I sat at the table with played very good fundamental poker which is in stark contrast to what you see in the low stake MTTs.

This has been my experience exactly. It seems like low-stakes MTT players are far more "call happy" and willing to bust their stacks. Whereas at higher stakes, people tend to play more conservative ranges and take fewer crazy chances.

For example, in a Freeroll, you can expect the first few hands to have one or two all-ins for whatever reason. It can be tempting to ride the variance train when fish are going in on J9s against your AK, but it's still hard when you bust out 40% of the time. In comparison, higher stakes tourneys seem way slower.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be tempting to ride the variance train when fish are going in on J9s against your AK, but it's still hard when you bust out 40% of the time.

But why is that a problem? Then you just rebuy or play another one, since micro stakes MTTs run all the time.

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But why is that a problem? Then you just rebuy or play another one, since micro stakes MTTs run all the time.
If you only play poker to make money than it's great but a lot of people play because they enjoy the game but it's not much fun buying in to a tournament and then just folding hand after hand for the first half hour or so of each tournament. Sure if you want to mindlessly throw in any two broadway's or any pocket pair but that's no different than dropping money into a slot and then just hoping for the best. Worse part is the times when you do remain disciplined and you finally get pocket aces or kings them the guy that shoved on wins the hand with his J4o. Maybe we just play poker for different reasons

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you only play poker to make money than it's great but a lot of people play because they enjoy the game but it's not much fun buying in to a tournament and then just folding hand after hand for the first half hour or so of each tournament.

You dont need to play that tight, just because there are loose players at the table. Sure occationally there will be some maniac, who go all in for 85BB, when you have open raised to 3BB, and I understand, that this can be annoying, if you are playing for fun, because he is kind of dictating, how the entire game is played. But most loose players just call to much, because they also want to play and have fun just like you. So they basically just force you to play more postflop, which should not be a problem, if you play for fun.

Sure if you want to mindlessly throw in any two broadway's or any pocket pair but that's no different than dropping money into a slot and then just hoping for the best.

At some point being all in and "flipping" is just part of tournament play. If for instance you have AK with 30BB, you usually need to be willing to get it all in before the flop, and of course you will sometimes get action or you will be calling. And it does not really matter, if you get action from JTs or 99. In fact you should be more happy to see JTs, because it gives you a better chance.

Maybe we just play poker for different reasons

That is entirely possible, but I still feel, it would be benefitial for you to adjust your attitude to loose players at least a little bit. It can also be totally fine to find some different games though. If you play freerolls or 50c tournaments, then move a little up and find that better quality of play, which maybe you will enjoy more. If however you already play 3-5$ tournaments or higher and still feel, that its nothing but wild maniacs at the table, then I want to know, where you play. Because then those games are a gold mine, so I want to go there and get rich ;)

slapmetwice

slapmetwice

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When i was running Spins on pokerstars, the 1$ spins i was losing a lot, but i had very good success with the 3$ and 7$

i think its got to do with the fact that on 1$ people are more likely to pay \ jam with a range that is way higher then you would expect.

this makes your play include much less bluffing and jamming on wet boards expecting your opponent to understand what you just did

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes

Good morning everyone.
This is what happens to me, when I play Mtts with higher buyns, I usually have better results than at the micros and since I don't have a bankroll and I don't play the most expensive ones only when I win on satellites, I won a ticket to play a $ 109 satellite. , the most expensive game I ever played and I was in 3rd place and won $ 200, being that I was almost with the same amount of chips as the 1st place, and I played to be in 3rd place when there were 3 players left.
The 1st and 2nd, won a ticket to play a $ 1050 Mtt, I found it much easier to play this expensive satellite than the micros, I had other good results on a $ 11 Mtt and others.
In the micros it is more difficult to know the range of the villains, who pay with everything, I 3bet with KK of SB vs CO, in a Mtt of $ 1.10 and the villain call. flop J 2 2, I bet 33% and villain All in, what 2 two has in his range that calls at 3bet? Hero urges calling and villain introduces me to J2s, the problem that is always losing premium hands for players who play with any card, it doesn’t happen often on the most expensive Mtts, it’s easier to play the more expensive Mtts, even because there is a better structure than micros.

V

vanish123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a bit higher micro is more easy as u can play on logic. micro micro first hour a lot of bingopoker

GODZZ

GODZZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At higher stakes it's easier to bluff ( sometimes ) .lower stakes are full of calling stations . But it's all situational , just like every game of eight ball is the same but different.

GLGL:D

S

StateDeParis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At high stakes in my opinion at PLO Omaha, is much hard at micro then high...

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much varience!
10.000 entries, 1500-2000 on ITM (20% + times you will get into the money), a lot of donkeys going all in with NOTHING,
Yesterday i was playing the 3.3 Heads Up 100% PKO
I had JJ in the big, villain had A2o and instashove pre flop, i called and he hits the A
I did the rebuy, then got AKs, in the button, did a mini raise, villain shoves, i called, he had 62s (LOL) and hits trip of 2 on the flop

On bigger buyings its eazy to read all ins situations almost every time its a domination situation (AK x AQ, AA x QQ, etc) or a coinflip
And you can bluff more, dont have to be afraid to calling stations

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Since micro-stakes is kind of its own game.
Or are higher stakes almost always more challenging?

Easier as in easier to turn a profit.

There is another possibility, If you move up in Stakes are the games getting easier? or are you playing better?

Think about it.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

4e kogo1

4e kogo1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

at higher limits, it is more pleasant to play, since the players are qualified and really know how to play, it is already pleasant to play, and micro limits, well, what can I say, it is complete chaos and sometimes it is not easy to play, from the fact that you are moved by a random person, stuffing your 7.4 against your ak, well ,what can I do, every poker player must go through this period of his career to gain patience, in short, micro limits are that kind of test ,if you pass it, then half the way is passed ))

L

Leifhackman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With small stakes it's more Russian roulette than poker. In my opinion and experience it just takes crazy amount of patience and discipline (which I do not have!) to go all in only when there is practically no way you can lose. Lots of limping and folding. Some times they all run like rabbits for 2xBB raise, some times they just keep hitting that call button no matter how much you raise and no matter what they have. But hey... it's YOU who click that Call or All in button. Then, its you who is to blame for loosing with AA to 222 or 3344. No one else :)

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To use the different types of poker bets in the best possible way, it takes more than having the knowledge you have just acquired. You also need to learn about the types of opponents you face. A player who goes on tilt a lot and calls a lot of bets could be the perfect target for you to overbet by value or a higher value bet. However, it is not ideal for you to apply a continuation bet, for example. You should also keep in mind that these types of poker bets, usually made post-flop, require a lot of game reading. So, in order to apply them in the best possible way and have them in your arsenal, it is always good to study poker as much as you can. Thus, they will always be in your favor and never against you.

Jay_Romey

Jay_Romey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is all part of the learning curve. The most important thing is to stay within what your bankroll dictates. That means playing micro stakes and just being patient.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Easier is the wrong word, it is a little bit an other game, and you must change your attitude of the game. The best example is the bet values, in higher stakes its enough to raise 2-3bb to eliminate the oppenent. In microstakes the player did not realize the sign and you must bet 7 bb or more to achieve the same goal as in highstake. Another fact is bluffing, in highstakes you the player think about the spot and realize this hand is not worth to call in microstakes the player call everything and to realize a bluff is more difficult to build.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I've noticed. That's why I don't play micro stakes. The lowest cash game stakes that I will play is $50NL. While I don't know if I would characterize it as being easier, I would certainly say it's different. Like others have said above, in one way or another, the money at the micro stakes level just isn't enough to make people take the game seriously. In a way it's like the difference between playing a freeroll and playing a $10 buy in tourney. Or, another way I look at it is like this...

I have a friend who drops at least $20 every time he walks into a convenience store. One minute we're in the garage and he's talking about how he only got paid for two days that week because it rained the other three. He's telling me how his money is going to be tight for the next few weeks. Then his girlfriend calls him and tells him he needs to go get some milk for breakfast in the morning. He drives to the convenience store goes in and buys a gallon of milk, gets himself a pack of smokes, gets me one (they were only $3 a pack then), buys us each a cold soda, grabs some candy for his kids, then spends the rest on lottery scratchers. He drops a $20 on the counter and tells the guy to keep the change. About an hour later he goes in the house and realizes that he's out of his favorite cereal. So we get in the car and drive to another convenience store that has the cereal he likes. He goes in buys a couple boxes of cereal, another pack of smokes and a bunch of $2 scratch offs. Another $20. He doesn't even scratch the tickets. He puts them in a box in the garage and sits down once a weeks and scratches them all. He doesn't really play poker, thank God. But just imagining someone like him playing in a $2 cash game is enough to keep me out them.