Any Recommendations For Improving Luck at The Table?

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know if I am the only one who does this? or if I have company... but one of my favorite things to do when I am playing online and have made a bluff or Semi-Bluff Raise is to ...

Talk to the Remaining Players in the Hand... As their clock clicks down, I constantly say things like... "No Shame In Folding!", Why Call-Off Your Stack with That Hand, When You Know You Are Beat?"

I know, I might be crazy, but it does seem to work a fair amount of the time, provided your story/play makes sense.

I will say, while it worked a couple times tonight in the Platinum Game, it did ultimately blow-up in my face, when I semi-bluffed with a small pocket pair and a pair on the board... after extra time, opponent ultimately called with an over pair... I could not improve on turn and river and to the rail I went. Oh well, so it goes! I was already doing ok, but if I get a fold, I am in very good shape at that point of the game, albeit, fairly early on.

Best of Luck at The Tables All,

CheezeWiz

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never been one for mind games in poker, and quite frankly I don't ever intend to, but I can tell you that bluffing and luck aren't related.
Also as a side note, I try my best to avoid bluffing in micro stakes and free rollers because you get called way more often than you should be.

M

mrwalleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im a stickler on doing things the same way

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
All i know , there isn't luck in poker
you need to wait for your turn to have good cards and try to take advantage on other players and take their chips

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not bad

I don't know if I am the only one who does this? or if I have company... but one of my favorite things to do when I am playing online and have made a Bluff or Semi-Bluff Raise is to ...

Talk to the Remaining Players in the Hand... As their clock clicks down, I constantly say things like... "No Shame In Folding!", Why Call-Off Your Stack with That Hand, When You Know You Are Beat?"

I know, I might be crazy, but it does seem to work a fair amount of the time, provided your story/play makes sense.

I will say, while it worked a couple times tonight in the Platinum Game, it did ultimately blow-up in my face, when I semi-bluffed with a small pocket pair and a pair on the board... after extra time, opponent ultimately called with an over pair... I could not improve on turn and river and to the rail I went. Oh well, so it goes! I was already doing ok, but if I get a fold, I am in very good shape at that point of the game, albeit, fairly early on.

Best of Luck at The Tables All,

CheezeWiz
Going for it is never a bad a idea. To improve your luck try only semi bluffing with the nut flush draw or nut str8 draws as long as they have the two overs. Other than that put notes on players so you dont have to relearn everyones game. dont beat yourself up for taking a risk bluff play as long as you know your bluffing cause your preflop raiser and you can only win with the bluff.( not so often though ) lol good luck

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Works Every Time...

Going for it is never a bad a idea. To improve your luck try only semi bluffing with the nut flush draw or nut str8 draws as long as they have the two overs. Other than that put notes on players so you dont have to relearn everyones game. dont beat yourself up for taking a risk bluff play as long as you know your bluffing cause your preflop raiser and you can only win with the bluff.( not so often though ) lol good luck

except for the last time! lol!

Thank You for the response, eagleaces!

Those are some good thoughts! I need to get better at note taking, so I am going to add that to my Poker New Year's Resolution list!

Generally speaking, I do not have the problem of bluffing too much, as it does not come naturally to me, so I am working on constantly reminding myself to look for opportunities to do so. Historically, many games, I have never bluffed... I do not get cards, and gradually watch my chip stack evaporate. It is primarily this type of situation that I am trying to address by adding an occasional bluff to my tool box to buy myself more time. Having said that, I have noticed that when I am in that mode, and it has been working... I have a tendency to keep doing it. I need to work on throttling that back and remembering what the purpose is.

Best of Luck At The Tables All,

CheezeWiz

O

ogloccness

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As the first reply stated, the best way to improve your luck is to improve your game.

There are many factors to be considered when you are betting. I've been learning at the microstake MTTs, which is obviously a very different game compared to cash games and higher stakes.

You have to consider your table image, their image, the hands you've seen them play, their tendencies (call, raise, fold), etc...

I'd say -- there's no shame in checking it down, either. A few well-timed bluffs instead of trying to steal every pot with marginal hands will improve your winrate significantly. One of my leaks was semi-bluffing way too often -- throwing away my chip stack and getting called off by top pair.

Good luck!

O

oligario

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no such a thing its just the way it is, bad or good.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I just saw the title of the post I had a good laugh. Thank you for that.
Now, on the serious matter, I don't think you speaking into the chat has real influence over n opponent calling or folding for you, firstly because we can always close the chat and ignore it altogether, secondly bc if someone makes a nice analizis of the hand action by acrtion either he/she doesn't have anything too, or your action most probably did bluff the opponent into folding anyway, dispite of the chat thing. At least for me, since I turn my chat down for good. :)

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a bath of luck, or a charm, that always helps ,,, and do not play angry. :D

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes, when I go all-in on pre-flop, I don't look at the bord itself, but only at the result based on its results, I noticed that it helps me and the weaker players practically stopped kick me off.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order to improve your ' luck at tables ' you have to study and play a lot.

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any recommendations for luck

Take 2 weeks off and quit

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
luck is luck. anyway you don't have to be exposed all the time to situations when you need luck. that's what you need to avoid.

H

Harbringerbg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Change seats. Works like charm.

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually need luck if I am all in preflop. In such very important cases, I clench my fists tightly and stop my breath until the river falls out and it is finally clear who the winner is. It often helps, this is my superstition, so to speak.

rictor99

rictor99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have chat turned off, so would never notice what you're saying.

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have a good image of the table, not get into compromising situations, have control of the pots, and play well with good cards.

T

TheBackpack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I see a player saying no shame in folding I will prolly call with pair of 8's lol

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being more patient can improve your "luck." You'll be surprised at how good your luck becomes when you're only playing good starting hands. :)

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing premium hands improves luck.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes study and focus on what matters your action at the table the rest we do not control, so it is not worth spending energy on it.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I bust a player out of the tournament I like to type in chat, "don't quit your day job". hehe

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres no way to work on luck.

And my recomendation is to take the other people in the table in consideration.

Poker is about making money, yes, but its also about having a good time, so try not to take that away from people.

Or you end up like William Kassouf