Adjusting to online

B

b1atch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing live in person games for about 8 months now and since online gambling is now legal in my state I'd like to know how different is online poker from irl games? Is there anything new I should know before I delve into this new aspect of poker?

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive never really played live but been playing online for a year. The games are faster paced in the sense you will see more hands in the same period of time IRL.

You can’t read faces and there’s not as much talking
So you don’t read people the same way as you would IRL.

Instead reading a person is how quickly they are betting, raising, checking, etc... if you get an instant 3-bet it could be strong but a slower 3-bet might be a semi-bluff.

You have to look at bet sizes, how often they’re playing in the pot, the time it takes for them to make their play, how they play the flop, turn, river.

Calling down to the river, then shoving quickly probably means they had a draw and hit the nuts on the river.

Just subtle things you will have to learn to pick up in a little different than live tables since you are not looking at a face

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker is a completely different realm of poker. The best advice is to cash out, just once. Have the money in hand, and know you are playing for more than just virtual money. That's the best piece of advice I could give you. How you play and how you manage your money is completely up to you.

P

Pokaslag

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo all down to betting patterns , watching the players that play the most hands at the table look at his/her actions pre post turn and river when he shows a winning hand or mucks , after a while they become complacent and this is where you trap but even then , there's always suckouts far more then live , good luck !!

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only plus in the live game is live chat, everything else online is better, more comfortable, and most importantly play online is much more profitable than live, both tournaments and cash games, because you play 10-20 hands or tournaments more, and if you play pravilny mathematical poker and the profit will be, respectively, many times more.