6+ Poker Variant

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This variant is definitely a cool form of hold'em. Removing the bottom 4 ranks of the deck makes it easier to make strong hands, besides flushes. But I don't see a migration to it. On ACR it looks dead. Also, I don't see it any different than NLHE in terms of more aggression or more action. Yeah, your hand is going to be stronger most of the time than it would be if you were playing with a 52-card deck, but so are your opponents. All this does is shift the strength of hands over. "Big" NLHE folds wouldn't be "big" in this format. In theory, average pot size should be equal to 52-card NLHE.

Idk if adding this game was a good move to sites.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The main thing is to read the rules of this game before you sit at the table.:)

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was spectating some games yesterday and I agree, it looks interesting but I don't think it's gonna catch on like nlhe or plo.

I might try it out one day.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This variant is definitely a cool form of hold'em. Removing the bottom 4 ranks of the deck makes it easier to make strong hands, besides flushes. But I don't see a migration to it. On ACR it looks dead. Also, I don't see it any different than NLHE in terms of more aggression or more action. Yeah, your hand is going to be stronger most of the time than it would be if you were playing with a 52-card deck, but so are your opponents. All this does is shift the strength of hands over. "Big" NLHE folds wouldn't be "big" in this format. In theory, average pot size should be equal to 52-card NLHE.

Idk if adding this game was a good move to sites.

To me the action is definitely more like Omaha.

The strength of 6+ hands can be an illusion. Players tend to overplay AK or small pairs preflop. Fore example 66 is really more like 22 in regular holdem.

It's dead? Not sure it was a good move for the poker site? Does there NEED to be a migration to it?

6+ was not supposed to kill NLHE. Besides....a lot of people are averse to any change or differences in life AND poker....lol

Good luck !

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me the action is definitely more like Omaha.

The strength of 6+ hands can be an illusion. Players tend to overplay AK or small pairs preflop. Fore example 66 is really more like 22 in regular holdem.

It's dead? Not sure it was a good move for the poker site? Does there NEED to be a migration to it?

6+ was not supposed to kill NLHE. Besides....a lot of people are averse to any change or differences in life AND poker....lol

Good luck !

I still think it is a horrible format that was pushed for no reason. Spin 'n Gos were a great idea, fast fold was a great idea. This new format is not.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this version of "short deck" poker. I don't feel like its a better version of holdem but it makes things interesting. Promotes alot of action thats for sure.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still think it is a horrible format that was pushed for no reason. Spin 'n Gos were a great idea, fast fold was a great idea. This new format is not.

What don't you like about this format specifically?

Thanks.

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like it less than regular holdem, but more than Omaha. It is fun to play and action is a bit crazy with big swings. What would be fun is tournaments.

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like it less than regular holdem, but more than Omaha. It is fun to play and action is a bit crazy with big swings. What would be fun is tournaments.

I've changed my mind about 6+, and it would be fun with tournaments. But no one is switching over, and I doubt wsop will pick it up as a variant.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just keep in mind that the pokerstars version does not rank 3-of-a-kind higher then a straight.

This will significantly reduce the value of any pocket pair (including Aces) and signifcantly increase value of connectors.

Suited Connectors will be by far the best hand type to play in this game, as straights will be common and very strong hands as opposed to other variants where straights are under sets and pocket pairs are still king.

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6+ flash stronger full house and where A may be applied to minor street A6789

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played it also and its ok:0) ill stick to Texas and Omaha suites me beter:0)

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in combination 6+

hHYV0TQF.png

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not at all crazy about the lack of standardization in this game. At ACR 3 of a kind beats a straight but at poker stars a straight beats 3 of a kind. A straight is easier to make by the river than 3 of a kind.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Yeah nothing takes the place of games like Badugi. Something totally different to blow the mind.

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not at all crazy about the lack of standardization in this game. At ACR 3 of a kind beats a straight but at Poker Stars a straight beats 3 of a kind. A straight is easier to make by the river than 3 of a kind.

Dude are you serious? PS has it so straight > 3 of a kind in 6+? That's nuts, do you know how different the game would play if that were the case? AA probably isn't the best hand no more.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dude are you serious? PS has it so straight > 3 of a kind in 6+? That's nuts, do you know how different the game would play if that were the case? AA probably isn't the best hand no more.

Absolutely serious. The post just before mine displays Poker Stars hand rankings in 6+.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Idk about PS but ive been crushing the 6+ on ACR's micro 1c/2c games.

Played one tonight and in about 30 mins turned my $1 into $8.25. Swung up and down a few times but $8.25 is what i cashed out for.

Just certain days there's no action at those tables. Yesterday there was none, tonight once that table broke, another never formed.

I like short deck, it promotes action and is a fun version aside from traditional holdem