Treat the Poker Table like your 9-5 Job . Leave the politics, religion ECT. At HOME

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kinda frustrated with my play at the Tournament last night. Went in kind of tired , and let an educated idiot get me on tilt(pissed).
To the point I had to walk outside and take a breath. Put me in a bad spot mentally tbh.
That's some people's game. They want you to be mad so they bring up controversial topics hoping you bite. Well one hit me close to home. I bit. Got angry. Played like crap and busted.

Just some friendly poker advice. Politics, race, religion ,sexuality, spirituality, or any controversial topic . Example (medical marijuana) should be shut down immediately when you are playing cards and care about your outcome. Turn away. Walk away. Ask to be moved to another table , or just sit out for a while .

You can't make good decisions when your mind is full of garbage that doesn't pertain to the task at hand , which is winning the pot, or in this case the tournament.

Just telling it like it is.
I love to talk ask my co workers. However, just like the poker table , the above subjects are best left to talk about away from work or the task at hand..

Also, if there is action or someone is being put to any decision about their chip stack, how about doing them and yourself a favor and not disrupt the game and or that person.

Yes it should be fun. But we aren't playing on Zynga Poker here.

This all happened last night at a live local run tournament. Direct cause to my exit just before the final table. Amazingly the person who brought up the subject had been church mouse quiet all night. It's an angle and everybody is looking for one.
As for me, I am taking earbuds next game.
Hope this helps someone.

P

pokerballsaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, you were the cause of your exit, he just helped you get there. If I am concentrating and thinking about a decision, you can talk to me all you like, I will not respond while thinking and I will not even take in what you are saying.

If you are not able to blank people out then feel free to take headphones or as you have said, earbuds.

Just treat it as a learning experience.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
while i agree with you there. Our group has a rule to leave it at the house. The guy that runs it has told people as much multiple times . He was told to leave it at home or he could stay home.

Yes he got me on tilt for sure . The point is, Politics and Religion do not belong at the table. That has been an unspoken rule in poker since foroever.

but yes i completely agree and im bringing headphones next game which is tomorrow.
I usually either win this 3 table tourney or hit the money and its a good group of people .

anyways thanks for the advice! i will heed it !

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Headphones can be an incredibly powerful tool when playing live poker.

Organize a Home Poker Game